The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Alonso was mighty in the Indy500 qualifying.

Starting 5th - that's the middle of row 2. And that was with an engine problem that cost him speed

Best bit was the press conference...

Interviewer: Were you nervous about your engine needing to be changed just before qualifying?

FA: "Not nervous. Used to it"

:D
    :-)

Hope he does well.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2954
    anyone know if the indy 500 will be streamed on then web anywhere..  It seems to only be shown on BT and I'm not going anywhere near them.

Ha ha .. Button out-qualified Hamilton (although he has penalties) and Kimi on pole .. :-)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    Good quali. 

I have to work out how to stream the Indy tomorrow night. I know it's on BT but I can't get that from out here. 

I hope Alonso wins it and sacks Mclaren off for the rest of the season. Palmer's seat must be looking really shaky right now.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    Renault have already said No to Alonso.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Renault have already said No to Alonso.
    I thought they said they couldn't offer him a race winning car. Woolf has said he's interested in Alonso.

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    It would be interesting to see if Ferrari use team orders to get Vettel to pass Kimi, assuming they make a clean start and are having a strong race at the front.  

I hope an SC, or VSC doesn't wreck their race by handing a following driver(s) an advantage, although the tyres should hold up well for a mandatory one stop., and overtaking would be almost impossible in evenly matched cars. 
    rocktron said:
    It would be interesting to see if Ferrari use team orders to get Vettel to pass Kimi, assuming they make a clean start and are having a strong race at the front.  

They have said not ... I think the fans would go nuts. If Mercedes and Red Bull can race so can Ferrari.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    I can't see Ferrari using order with Hamilton so far back. 

I would assume Ham will hope for a VSC after the first lap then dive in for new tyres and one-stop the rest of the race. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2954
    I can't see Ferrari using order with Hamilton so far back. 

I would assume Ham will hope for a VSC after the first lap then dive in for new tyres and one-stop the rest of the race. 
    I suspect a few of them will be planning for that so it may not make much difference for LH

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    I've given up. Off to the gym for me. Virtual safety car = more real than a clear overtaking place. 

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    edited May 2017
    Did Ferrari do that on purpose?   s

*edit* Kimi looks to have lost interest...
    Note to new owners of F1. Scrap the Grand Prix of Monaco. Not one overtake. Boring as hell.

Note to self. Don't watch next year. Get cold beer and sit in the garden and watch the grass grow - far more interesting.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Nitefly said:
    Did Ferrari do that on purpose?   s

*edit* Kimi looks to have lost interest...
    Christian Horner doesn't think so.

I didn't detect any suspicious activity, and I am a Kimi fan. Vettel was very quick on the two laps before he pitted and managed to come out in front. Game over. No disgrace for Kimi to come second, and it should not affect his contract negotiations. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Those bigger F1 cars look unwieldy around Monaco,It's a yawnfest.  An F1 go kart would be awesome there.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 498
    Fretwired said:
    Note to new owners of F1. Scrap the Grand Prix of Monaco. Not one overtake. Boring as hell.

Note to self. Don't watch next year. Get cold beer and sit in the garden and watch the grass grow - far more interesting.
    Yep. The point to it historically has been that Monaco is the race where all the celebs turn up and deals are done but there's plenty of races like that now. 

The only time it's ever entertaining is when it's wet and everybody crashes. 

Monaco, Singapore and Baku are all rubbish for F1. Street circuits are good for touring cars but F1 belongs on proper race tracks.

Fretwired said:

Monaco Grand Prix - Average Speed around 150 Mph

Indy 500 - Average speed around 236 Mph 

I don't think the Monaco Grand Prix will ever be taken off the F1 Calendar.
  • HoofHoof Frets: 498
    rocktron said:
    Fretwired said:

Monaco Grand Prix - Average Speed around 150 Mph

Indy 500 - Average speed around 236 Mph 

I don't think the Monaco Grand Prix will ever be taken off the F1 Calendar.
    150mph average? It's about 90mph around Monaco. The only circuits in F1 with 150mph average are Silverstone, Spa and Monza.

It's a shite race but I also think you're right about it staying on the calendar. Shame. The whole thing today was an embarrasment. The cocked-up minutes silence for Manchester, boring race on a go-kart track, track surface falling to pieces  because it can't handle modern F1 machinery and that awful, drawn-out podium ceremony with the local dignitaries standing above the drivers? Ugh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Alonso won in 2007 with an average speed of 96.654 mph, the highest average speed recorded at the time of this 2015 article being published. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2015/5/the-monaco-grand-prix---did-you-know-.html

Currently Google says that Vettel's average speed was just under 150 mph for the race run today. That would be some boost given historic speeds. 

http://www.motorsportsetc.com/info/spd_mon.htm

Hamilton's fastest lap in 2016 was 1:17.939. The track is 2.073 miles long. Rounding that to 1m 18s and 2.07 miles, that's an average of 95.54mph. 

So I would suggest that Google is wrong. 

Hoof said:

Monaco, Singapore and Baku are all rubbish for F1. Street circuits are good for touring cars but F1 belongs on proper race tracks.

Street circuits are increasingly crap for touring cars and other formulas as well. Macau is fucking awful as it's destroyed by safety cars. Watching the TCR at Singapore last year was shit. The Long Beach track used earlier this year for the WeatherTech Sportscar Championship was shit. Never that excited watching somewhere like Pau either hosting GT4.

Now if all street circuits were like Bathurst, then we'd see some fun.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom