The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    Couldn't agree more, should have suffered far more repercussions than a 10 sec stop go and 3 penalty points. Especially in light of the telemetry evidence completely exonerating Lewis of any blame.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Vettel's not yet in the clear ......

From MotorSport Week

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel could face further sanctions for his intentional collision with Lewis Hamilton during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the weekend, which could go as far as a race ban or monetary fine.

It is believed that FIA president Jean Todt is unhappy with Vettel's actions and with how the incident was dealt with by the stewards, who handed the Ferrari driver a ten-second stop and go penalty, which many within the paddock thought was a lenient punishment.

Vettel accused Hamilton, who was in the lead of the race at the time and had assumed the role of the Safety Car, of brake testing him, which resulted in the German running into the back of Hamilton's car, damaging both.

Clearly unhappy with Hamilton's actions, Vettel drove alongside the Briton and turned towards him, with the pair making contact. Neither car suffered any damage in the second incident.

However the FIA cleared Hamilton of any wrongdoing during the restart as the lead car can dictate the pace, and whilst the rules stipulate that a constant speed must be kept, data from Hamilton's car showed he did not brake heavily, nor act any different to his previous restart.

"It emerged that Hamilton did correctly, maintained a consistent speed and behaved in the same manner on that occasion as in all other restarts during the race," a statement from the stewards noted.

Vettel's actions following the initial contact were an act of revenge – the four-time champion admitting so after the race – but he didn't believe the penalty was warranted.

It's not the first time the 'red mist' has descended on Vettel. In Mexico last year he was warned by the FIA's Charlie Whiting for an expletive rant in which he told the race director to "f**k off" twice. That led Vettel to write an official apology to both Whiting and Todt, for bringing the sport in disrepute.

In light of the apology, Todt chose not to bring Vettel before the FIA International Tribunal, but warned him that a repeat offence may warrant heavy punishment.

Vettel's Baku antics could however land him a seat in front of the tribunal, with reports from Auto Motor und Sport suggesting Todt is unhappy with Vettel's intentional actions and a belief that the penalty didn't fit the crime – with suggestions the stewards considered disqualifying him from the race, but chose not to as it would have impacted the title fight.

A decision as to whether Todt will take further action is expected ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix next weekend.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 498
    Fretwired said:
    Vettel's not yet in the clear ......

From MotorSport Week

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel could face further sanctions for his intentional collision with Lewis Hamilton during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the weekend, which could go as far as a race ban or monetary fine.

It is believed that FIA president Jean Todt is unhappy with Vettel's actions and with how the incident was dealt with by the stewards, who handed the Ferrari driver a ten-second stop and go penalty, which many within the paddock thought was a lenient punishment.

Vettel accused Hamilton, who was in the lead of the race at the time and had assumed the role of the Safety Car, of brake testing him, which resulted in the German running into the back of Hamilton's car, damaging both.

Clearly unhappy with Hamilton's actions, Vettel drove alongside the Briton and turned towards him, with the pair making contact. Neither car suffered any damage in the second incident.

However the FIA cleared Hamilton of any wrongdoing during the restart as the lead car can dictate the pace, and whilst the rules stipulate that a constant speed must be kept, data from Hamilton's car showed he did not brake heavily, nor act any different to his previous restart.

"It emerged that Hamilton did correctly, maintained a consistent speed and behaved in the same manner on that occasion as in all other restarts during the race," a statement from the stewards noted.

Vettel's actions following the initial contact were an act of revenge – the four-time champion admitting so after the race – but he didn't believe the penalty was warranted.

It's not the first time the 'red mist' has descended on Vettel. In Mexico last year he was warned by the FIA's Charlie Whiting for an expletive rant in which he told the race director to "f**k off" twice. That led Vettel to write an official apology to both Whiting and Todt, for bringing the sport in disrepute.

In light of the apology, Todt chose not to bring Vettel before the FIA International Tribunal, but warned him that a repeat offence may warrant heavy punishment.

Vettel's Baku antics could however land him a seat in front of the tribunal, with reports from Auto Motor und Sport suggesting Todt is unhappy with Vettel's intentional actions and a belief that the penalty didn't fit the crime – with suggestions the stewards considered disqualifying him from the race, but chose not to as it would have impacted the title fight.

A decision as to whether Todt will take further action is expected ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix next weekend.

In Premiership or International footy, telling a ref to "Fuck off" would at least get you sent off or even banned for a match or two. As would retaliating physically for an apparent foul (not that there was any). 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I wonder if Vettel made contact with Hamster's front wheel because he'd taken his hand of the steering wheel to gesticulate.

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    They do plenty of gesticulating and the cars track okay.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Nomad said:
    They do plenty of gesticulating and the cars track okay.
    Exactly - Vettel did it deliberately .. watch the video.

BBC also reporting what Fret posted from Motorsport Week....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40431244

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Teetonetal said:

He should have been absolutely thrown the rule book at. 
    Care to rethink that sentence?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7714
    I hope hey extend the punishment.

The interview where a brit interviewer kept pushing him on it was hilarious - I swear you can see the Ferrari PR drone-lady trying to keep a straight face... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7829
    axisus said:
    Teetonetal said:

Not really. You know what I mean. So job done.
    axisus said:
    Teetonetal said:

He should have been absolutely thrown the rule book at ..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 535
    Fretwired said:
    axisus said:
    Teetonetal said:

Absolutely at him the rule book thrown should have been.
    FTFY.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    So, what's next up? Austrian GP? Another snooze-fest, then.

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Yep!!! Vettel banned for one race.  :)
    rocktron said:
    Yep!!! Vettel banned for one race.  :)
    I doubt they'll do that ... Ferrari International Assistance will come to the rescue .. Jean Todt was head of an F1 team .. I can't remember which one .. ;-)

Rumour has it Todt is the one who is pushing the FIA to stage a disciplinary panel about it. Apparently he is less than happy about Vettels behaviour. I'd still stand more chance of winning the lottery like than seeing him get banned but one can hope!!

Boromedic said:
    Rumour has it Todt is the one who is pushing the FIA to stage a disciplinary panel about it. Apparently he is less than happy about Vettels behaviour. I'd still stand more chance of winning the lottery like than seeing him get banned but one can hope!!
    I think Todt wants to be seen as squeaky clean .. isn't he coming up for re-election again.

edited June 2017
    Hahaha, you cynic you......;)

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    If anything it'll probably be a fine. You can imagine the uproar if he did get a race ban.
    To be honest, while I'm no fan of Vettel, I don't think you should undermine the Stewards' decision after the fact.
    If Todt wants a harsher punishment, they should exclude Vettel from the Baku results, setting the precedent for that type of behaviour. Otherwise he will rightly be able to claim being punished twice for the same offence.
    Vettel gets the correct punishment and the gap to Hamilton is reduced a little
    (Mercedes only have themselves to blame for Hamilton coming in behind Vettel.)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Todt, with his long history with Ferrari, needs to be seen as even handed and fair, I'd ban Vettel for Austria or give him a 10 place penalty, deliberately driving into an opponent like that has to be seen to be punished