The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I found this on F1Technical from a while back... basically, the right-hand immediately after the hairpin would be a right/left chicane, then they'd bomb across a bridge onto a new islandy bit, do a quick loop (potential overtaking spot there if they don't fuck the road layout up), then back over the same bridge/land bit towards Portier, then another left into the tunnel to continue as before, I think?

This is a bit old, so I assume the real estate master plan will have changed, but the concept is the same as far as I can tell.

I guess it would be fine to have a longer lap too - Vettel's average lap from last year's race was only 1:20, so an extra 20 seconds and a few fewer laps would be no issue.

I'm all for it.

I think that is the £8 billion project that got binned.

As I understand it the sea area in front of the tunnel going past the swimming and down is where some of the reclaimed land will be so one option is to bin the tunnel have have the cars sweep onto the new section which could be a fast straight. A rough image of what it might look like .. starts at Portier .. it's the lump with the trees .. you can see a road/walkway running towards a new port.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Max has crashed in FP3 ... session red flagged ... he's becoming a liability.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27674
    Fretwired said:
    Just came to post. My opinion of him remains unchanged. What a twonk.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ColsCols Frets: 7265
    Fretwired said:
    Car badly bent?
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Car badly bent?
    Yes .. bits hanging off.  It's where I think he crashed last year.

Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Car badly bent?
    Identical to his off in 2016 Quali. Front right and rear right both fucked. If the chassis is bent they won't have time to fix it before Q1

Ricciardo FTW!!
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Car badly bent?
    Identical to his off in 2016 Quali. Front right and rear right both fucked. If the chassis is bent they won't have time to fix it before Q1

Ricciardo FTW!!
    Flip, that won’t make him popular with the mechanics.
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Car badly bent?

Ricciardo FTW!!
    I bet Horner's having sleepless nights .. Max is a liability and one of the best drivers in the world, Ricciardo, looks like he'll be leaving for Ferrari (current gossip).

edited May 2018
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Car badly bent?

Ricciardo FTW!!
    Looks like he'll be at a disadvantage  as the team put a new Newey designed wing and bits on the back of his car which he's trashed so he'll be on the old spec wing for the race and quali if they can rebuild the car. Hope Ricciardo wins and puts Mad Max in his box ... :-)

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited May 2018
    Fretwired said:
    Not only is he wrecking his own races, he has already wrecked the races of two of the leading contenders for this year's championship.

I dread it when he is on the first three rows at the start of a race. He seems to want to prove that he is faster than the other guys. Ricciardo seems to have the measure of him this year which may have pushed him into making bad decisions.
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Car badly bent?

Ricciardo FTW!!
    Looks like he'll be at a disadvantage  as the team put a new Newey designed wing and bits on the back of his car which he's trashed so he'll be on the old spec wing for the race and quali if they can rebuild the car. Hope Ricciardo wins and puts Mad Max in his box ... :-)
    It won’t help his confidence.  The front should be a straightforward fix, but the rear impact looked to be square against the barrier and may have caused more extensive damage.
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Car badly bent?

Ricciardo FTW!!
    It won’t help his confidence.  The front should be a straightforward fix, but the rear impact looked to be square against the barrier and may have caused more extensive damage.
    I don't think *anything* hurts Max's confidence, and I think that's maybe half the problem...
    Cols said:
    I don't think *anything* hurts Max's confidence, and I think that's maybe half the problem...
    Very true - fourth year in F1, and he still hasn’t calmed down.

i suppose it makes for good telly, which is the important thing for the commercial arm of Red Bull.
    I bet Max wishes he hadn't given this interview .. ;-)

“To make the difference on this track compared to other drivers, they all think the same way, so you have to risk it a bit more between the walls,” Verstappen told reporters when asked whether he would be prepared to take a gamble.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4632
    At the beginning of the season I was team Max. But now, not one bit. He is indeed a liability
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22560
    Cols said:
    Cols said:
    Very true - fourth year in F1, and he still hasn’t calmed down.

i suppose it makes for good telly, which is the important thing for the commercial arm of Red Bull.

Depends on whether the commercial gains made are greater than the total repair bill for the season added to the reduction in Constructors money you win because driver 2 keeps crashing... 

Certainly driver 2 starting from the back of the grid doesn’t make for good telly.  But hey, free gearbox!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22560
    Did anyone watch the F2 races? Absolute mayhem at times, like watching a field of lil' Verstappens driving shopping carts round Iceland. 

Lando Norris should piss the title this year. 

Latifi is now 11th in the championship race. F1 on hold...

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5000
    edited May 2018
    No but I bet they were awesome, I think the F1 race is going to have plenty of incidents too. I'd love to see Lando make a race team next year, he's as good as Le Clerc and Ocon for me.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Lando might be the best of the newcomers - he was even quicker than Fred when they shared a car at the Daytona 24h.

From today, I think it's unlikely that more than half of Grosjean, Verstappen, Stroll, and Sirotkin will make the chequred flag.

Max is most likely of those to take someone else out. Logic dictates that he should take it easy at the start to avoid any incidents, then pit early and do quick laps in free air and undercut 70% of the field. But he would rather overtake people, so he'll probably hit Grosjean at T1 on about lap 4...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom