The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Octafish said:
    So looks like rumours of Stroll snr getting together with Aston Martin and Wolff to take over Mercedes Team were a case of 'insiders' taking 2 and 2 and making 5. Still think it's highly likely Mercedes will stick around and give Hamilton a new contract.

Looking more likely Mercedes will quit. Insiders are quoted as saying F1 is a dead-end from a development point of view and may damage the brand due to its carbon footprint. Mercedes would still provide engines.

And another twist says Wolff is posed to join the AM board and run an AM F1 team.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    Insiders seem keen to be quoted saying things they'd like to happen 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:

They were right about AM and Stroll ...

• ColsCols Frets: 7702
    "Not true," Kaellenius said on the sidelines of the German Auto Industry annual reception in Berlin when asked if Mercedes were planning to leave F1.

Technically that means they could sell the team and remain as engine suppliers, thus not actually “leaving F1”.
    Fretwired said:
    TimmyO said:

They were right about AM and Stroll ...
    You throw a.dozen darts, one will hit 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The all-electric Formula E Championship has called off next month's race in China amid the coronavirus outbreak. The move raises further questions about the Chinese Formula 1 Grand Prix, due to be held on 17-19 April in Shanghai, which is 500 miles from Wuhan.

TimmyO said:

You throw a.dozen darts, one will hit 

It's actually a German auto sports journalist who has been pretty accurate over the years. He knows people at all the major German car makers. Time will tell.

• Meet the new Haas. Same as the old Haas...

I actually really like the colours across the front wing. And I'm glad they're not sponsored by imaginary drinks. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Rather boring Haas livery. Looks like something you’d expect on a generic toy racing car. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sounds like Merc fairly committed - 5 year sponsor deal... 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Sounds like Merc fairly committed - 5 year sponsor deal... 

Hamilton to sign new contract. Toto staying put.

• It will be riddled with break clauses.  Its no guarantee that they are staying.

It will be riddled with break clauses.  Its no guarantee that they are staying.

Merc are staying in F1.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Don't think it will be any great surprise if Hamilton resigns and Mercedes stay. As I said, the rumours over the last few weeks looked a bit 2 + 2 = 5. I reckon the Aston Martin/Racing Point deal sent a few pundits off in the wrong direction.
    Octafish said:
    Don't think it will be any great surprise if Hamilton resigns and Mercedes stay. As I said, the rumours over the last few weeks looked a bit 2 + 2 = 5. I reckon the Aston Martin/Racing Point deal sent a few pundits off in the wrong direction.

I bet Hamilton stays at Mercedes. Where else would he go? Mercedes will build their car to suit his driving style.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    He has nowhere else to go other than retirement or a very outside chance of Vettel's Ferrari seat, I think both are highly unlikely for 2021, so yes Mercedes it is.
    Octafish said:
    He has nowhere else to go other than retirement or a very outside chance of Vettel's Ferrari seat, I think both are highly unlikely for 2021, so yes Mercedes it is.

Hamilton has said he has a few years left yet. I bet he wants Schumacher's record.

• Ham will match Schumi’s record this year. Him+Merc May not be absolutely the quickest package ever race but over a season they will be the most consistent by far and that’s what wins titles. 

I could see him having a “last hurrah” at Ferrari, but not till after he has 7 or 8 titles with Merc, and only if the Ferrari management changes to really have a serious change at winning. He won’t go there to rebuild a team around him again as it takes too long.

I hope Merc stay irrespective of what Hamilton does. Every driver on the grid would jump through flaming hoops to get a seat there, so they can have their pick - Russell is probably the most obvious pick, but I could actually see Vettel fitting well if he doesn’t retire, or DannyRic 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fretwired said:
    It will be riddled with break clauses.  Its no guarantee that they are staying.

Merc are staying in F1.
    I will be very pleased if they do and if Hamilton stays until he decides to retire.  Im a big fan of both.  I just don't think that you can guarantee that a 5 year advertising deal is a certainty of them remaining in the sport.