The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    sinbaadi said:
    Fretwired said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Fretwired said:
    I don’t understand the penalty for Hamilton. (I’m not a Hamilton fan-boy.) He was on the racing line. Where was he supposed to go?

I think it depends on the angle you look from .. I did think it harsh. Albon showed a lack of race craft. 
    Nope

Why?
    Lewis has opportunity to brake deeper into the corner and if he had done that, Albon would have been able to back off, he would have had no alternative.  What actually happened was that Albon made a brilliant pass, Lewis didn't see it coming and rather cynically ran his car out wide as a retaliation.  It was a very Hamilton-esque pass, actually.  I don't agree that it was poor race craft, it just left him vulnerable to getting unfairly squeezed out/off.  Hamilton should have done better.
    Wot he sed
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    PC_Dave said:
    Lewis has opportunity to brake deeper into the corner and if he had done that, Albon would have been able to back off, he would have had no alternative.  What actually happened was that Albon made a brilliant pass, Lewis didn't see it coming and rather cynically ran his car out wide as a retaliation.  It was a very Hamilton-esque pass, actually.  I don't agree that it was poor race craft, it just left him vulnerable to getting unfairly squeezed out/off.  Hamilton should have done better.
    Wot he sed
    Lewis didn't .. his hard tyres were in poor shape and were cold .. academic as the penalty stands. Had Albon been patient he'd have possibly won the race.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

More concerning is they also didn't even investigate the obviously unsafe release of Perez, never mind penalise it. Obviously there aren't as many people in the pitlane at the moment but they seriously shouldn't be encouraging teams & drivers to have full-chat pit releases into oncoming cars...
    Oooh, I forgot about that! I was sat there screaming 'unsafe release' at the telly.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681

More concerning is they also didn't even investigate the obviously unsafe release of Perez, never mind penalise it. Obviously there aren't as many people in the pitlane at the moment but they seriously shouldn't be encouraging teams & drivers to have full-chat pit releases into oncoming cars...
    Oooh, I forgot about that! I was sat there screaming 'unsafe release' at the telly.
    I think the stewards forgot as well...!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702

Racing in the pit lane is inexcusable, but the powers that be don’t seem to have much appetite to clamp down on it firmly.  I’m afraid that one of these days there’s going to be a really big accident involving a pit crew, and only then will they sit up and take notice.

NASCAR might well do something after last weekend’s incident....

https://youtu.be/izFxH1NWr4Y 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059

?  Didn't they give him a penalty for speeding in the pit-lane?  It certainly was an unsafe release, though...

Nitefly said:

?  Didn't they give him a penalty for speeding in the pit-lane?  It certainly was an unsafe release, though...

Yes.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    News all over twitter that Alonso will be back at Renault next season.
    Predictable and a little bit dull tbh! 

He’ll either make Ocon look silly, or he’ll fail and tarnish his own reputation. Do Renault have a chance of building a decent car in 2022?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1490
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Predictable and a little bit dull tbh! 

He’ll either make Ocon look silly, or he’ll fail and tarnish his own reputation. Do Renault have a chance of building a decent car in 2022?
    Dunno... not from what I’ve read.. seems to be a reason Ricciardo left and went to Mclaren. 

I like Alonso, hoping he gets the triple crown this year/whenever the Indy 500 is next! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5202
    Sad really, watching the greatest driver of his era who beat Schumacher fair and square, toss off most of his career in the midfield. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Oh for fucks sake, why can't he give it a rest?! Talk about flogging a dead horse!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How old is Alonso? Ham will go on for years at this rate and Kimi's still going (wheel nut permitting). I hope some young guns push the old boys out of the way.

Yeah, I really like the guy as a racer and will be glad to see him drive, but I can’t see Renault having the car to win anything and I’d rather see more new faces tbh.

Id much prefer to see him do other series. A full year in Indy would be fantastic
    He’ll be 39 years old this month.  And still a great driver.

Renault are still looking solidly midfield, judging by pre-season testing and the first race.  They’re not planning any engine upgrades this year due to a lack of funds... and this is the last opportunity to go crazy with spending before the cost cap comes crashing in.  And they’ll be stuck with this year’s chassis in 2021.

I really hope he does well (assuming this rumour is all true), but honestly the best case scenario for next year would be podiums.
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Another door closes for Vettel.  The Daimler board seem to have lost interest in him as well after the opening race debacle.  Red Bull seem to be making sympathetic noises though; could he be heading back there with a massive pay cut?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25496
    Alonso is a fantastic driver who should never be let back after all the shite with Crashgate and the car design stuff.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Another door closes for Vettel.  The Daimler board seem to have lost interest in him as well after the opening race debacle.  Red Bull seem to be making sympathetic noises though; could he be heading back there with a massive pay cut?

I don't think so. Albon is the perfect partner for Vestappen. At the weekend he was fast and could have won the race had Hamilton not hit him. Vestappen and Vettel wouldn't get on. Albon know's he's a rookie and number two driver and that the team will prioritise Vestappen. Vettel is a four time world champion - honours he won driving a Red Bull.

The only reason they'd do it is if they think Vestappen is about to jump ship. He maybe worried about Honda's long term plans.