The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Hamilton under investigation by the FIA for making a political statement. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    TimmyO said:
    It’s odd wording to say it that way if it’s a done deal.

i agree to buy your house for £1 

Not really .. there are contracts and small print. I've bought lots of business when I worked in the corporate world. You start off with an agreed price - the company I worked for was quoted on the NASDAQ exchange so we had to announce such things in those terms so shareholders would know. The deal may then not go through as you go into details, contracts, and due diligence. The phrase 'agreed' has meaning - it means I have agreed with X to buy their company for Y. It doesn't mean the deal is done.

If it were an offer then it would say Mercedes has been offered £700 million for a 70 percent stake in its F1 team. Seems simple to understand to me. If true it's a price that both parties have agreed on but not an agreed deal - there's a long way to go.
    https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-rubbish-ineos-buy-out/

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Hamilton under investigation by the FIA for making a political statement. 
    What did he say?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

I should just learn to ignore Eddie Jordan .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Cols said:
    What did he say?

Wearing a T-shirt with a political statement. It's against the FIA's rules .. I wonder if he'll be punished beyond a fine? No doubt Marco will want all Hams points deducted ... :-)

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    Fretwired said:

I should just learn to ignore Eddie Jordan .. :-)
    I reckon most outlets should attribute him as "...serial fantasist Eddie Jordan..."  
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105

Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    What did he say?

Wearing a T-shirt with a political statement. It's against the FIA's rules .. I wonder if he'll be punished beyond a fine? No doubt Marco will want all Hams points deducted ... :-)
    for someone as wealthy as him a fine could just become a "pay to pretest" service every week. If they are serious about it they'll need to do something more - which is going to be messy :-/ 
    Red ones are better. 
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    What did he say?

He’s been probing the boundaries for a while now.  Might get a slap on the wrist this time, or a ‘clarification’.

I’m sure Daimler aren’t thrilled either.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6547
    FIA consistency (sic) again! If they claim it's a political statement (which it wasn't) then why did they ignore the taking-the-knee moments in previous GPs?
    Cols said:

He’s been probing the boundaries for a while now.  Might get a slap on the wrist this time, or a ‘clarification’.

I wouldn't bet on that ... Ham is popular with A-list black celebs who have been buying high-end Mercs in droves. There's a film of Ham with a bunch of these people showing them high-end Mercs. Ham has helped Mercedes sell more cars in the US.

Ham's choice of police killing to protest about seems odd as the official police statement I read was the dead woman's partner fired first and hit a police officer. The police were raiding a house for a suspect which it later transpired had been arrested elsewhere earlier.

• Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

I wouldn't bet on that ... Ham is popular with A-list black celebs who have been buying high-end Mercs in droves. There's a film of Ham with a bunch of these people showing them high-end Mercs. Ham has helped Mercedes sell more cars in the US.

Ham's choice of police killing to protest about seems odd as the official police statement I read was the dead woman's partner fired first and hit a police officer. The police were raiding a house for a suspect which it later transpired had been arrested elsewhere earlier.
    They were raiding the wrong house and didn't announce that they were police. From his perspective he was shooting at an intruder, which he was well within his rights to do. 

Anyone arguing against Hamilton's stance is on the wrong side of this - there's no doubt.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020

They were raiding the wrong house and didn't announce that they were police. From his perspective he was shooting at an intruder, which he was well within his rights to do. 

Anyone arguing against Hamilton's stance is on the wrong side of this - there's no doubt.

They raided the right house. They were after Taylor who they assumed was part of a drug ring. They didn't realise her boyfriend was there. He legally held a firearm.

It's back to something I highlighted in a thread in the politics section - police training. Cops are basically trained to protect themselves first and in this case, one cop fired 10 shots randomly into the room. He was sacked from his job. Compare the training of US police to UK police and its chalk and cheese.

CNN report:

In the above report police claim they banged on the door and gave a warning. Taylor's boyfriend claims they banged on the door but didn't say it was the police.

Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

It’s not a question of whether Hamilton’s overall stance is just; more a fundamental question of whether or not the FIA allow Grand Prix events to be used as a platform for political messaging.

It’s a slippery slope, and understandably the FIA aren’t keen on it.  There’s too much potential for getting embroiled in arguments about why one thing was allowed and another wasn’t, or even having events curtailed or cancelled because the local government had their nose put out of joint.
    edited September 2020
    Cols said:

It’s not a question of whether Hamilton’s overall stance is just; more a fundamental question of whether or not the FIA allow Grand Prix events to be used as a platform for political messaging.

It’s a slippery slope, and understandably the FIA aren’t keen on it.  There’s too much potential for getting embroiled in arguments about why one thing was allowed and another wasn’t, or even having events curtailed or cancelled because the local government had their nose put out of joint.
    I suspect a quiet word will be had. F1 won't want to be seen to be out of step on the BLM issue and I doubt they'd want to be seen to publically rebuke Hamilton who is being widely praised for his stance - it could damage the brand. You could argue this isn't political - it has anti-racism at the core of the message so it's about human rights and dignity and justice. Hamilton is not openly supporting the BLM movement or its political aims. Even F1 finally stopped racing in South Africa so there's a conscience somewhere.

I think the powers that be may continue to give him some space to protest but insist he doesn't do it on the podium where it is more likely to upset sponsors who've paid good money to have a photo opportunity.

• BBC page quotes the FIA statutes but it doesn't look like the T shirt actually breaks any of it.

The Statute seems to limit stuff to items printed on the car!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BBC page quotes the FIA statutes but it doesn't look like the T shirt actually breaks any of it.

Reading that the FIA have agreed to break their own rules as cars sport the Black Lives Matter slogan .. :-)

Good to see Toto and Mercedes are backing him ...

• BBC page quotes the FIA statutes but it doesn't look like the T shirt actually breaks any of it.

Yep. Lewis isn't stupid - he'll have cleared it with Toto and the board and - most importantly - the Mercedes legal team!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

Fretwired said:
    I’m not sure how this can be practically enforced; will the FIA be visiting factories after the last race of 2021 and ensuring that inventories are completely exhausted?
    Renault are proposing to put Alonso in the car for the end of season Young Driver Test.

(Checks calendar.  No, it’s not 1st April...)

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-young-driver-test-fernando-alonso/