The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Not really a win he earned though so a slightly misplaced comment tbh, he drove well but lucked into first because of Lewis's penalty. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited September 2020
    IMO Albon is a great driver, as is Gasly, but the Red Bull is a bit of a bitch to drive. Max is at the Alonso/Hamilton level where he can make it quick despite any foibles but almost no one else can. 

Albon can drive the car just fine in a race. He's poor when it comes to quali - Horner said said as much last week. Unfortunately these days quali is important for a top team like Red Bull. If Albon can't improve the team has to look at a Perez or Hulkenberg IMHO. However, I think they'll stick with Albon for 2021.

Gasly couldn't drive the Red Bull at all and his confidence suffered. He's a different driver away from the spotlight of Red Bull.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bottas! 

Ha ha ha lovely comment.

What did he say? I switched off at the end.

• Fretwired said:
    Bottas! 

Ha ha ha lovely comment.

To whom it may concern, F you. 

(He said that earlier in the season didn’t he?)
    edited September 2020
    Fretwired said:
    Bottas! 

Ha ha ha lovely comment.

To whom it may concern, F you. 

(He said that earlier in the season didn’t he?)

That was his win in Oz .. after which 'to whom it may concerned' laughed out loudly as Bottas 5.0 malfunctioned as Hamilton, Vesstappen and Gasly went on to win races ... :-)

I can't warm to Bottas. He's a cold fish .. at least Kimi has a sharp sense of humour and a healthy couldn't give a sh*t attitude. His radio messages can be priceless ...

EDIT

OK so he's said 'to whom it may concern again .. ' - the FIA should give him a penalty ... ;-)

F2 race abandoned after crash .... :-(

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020
    The point's on Hamilton's licence have been rescinded. Nice to see Verstappen and few other drivers sticking up for him and saying it was unfair as Ham was only following instructions. Bottas stayed quiet .. :-) Mercedes have been fined.

Not sure why Ham had points for driving into the pit at Monza as again he was following team orders.

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Fretwired said:
    The point's on Hamilton's licence have been rescinded. Nice to see Verstappen and few other drivers sticking up for him and saying it was unfair as Ham was only following instructions. Bottas stayed quiet .. :-) Mercedes have been fined.

Not sure why Ham had points for driving into the pit at Monza as again he was following team orders.
    I would assume the difference is that in Monza he had trackside information available to him (way off out of his sight line) indicating that the pit lane was closed, whereas in Sochi he was totally reliant on the team to let him know what was and wasn’t allowed.

”Hey Pete, okay if I stop my car on the pit exit and do a few practice starts?”

”Of course Lewis.  I’m sure that won’t irritate any of the other drivers.”
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    edited September 2020
    Hamilton's a proper whiney little bitch isn't he
    I can't believe he truly thinks the stewards are deliberately trying to "stop him"! What a childish comment - he's still 44 points clear of Bottas and needs to stop being so hard done by and just get on with his job.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    PC_Dave said:
    I can't believe he truly thinks the stewards are deliberately trying to "stop him"! What a childish comment - he's still 44 points clear of Bottas and needs to stop being so hard done by and just get on with his job.

Wolff agrees with him though ...

Fretwired said:
    PC_Dave said:

Wolff agrees with him though ...
    Quelle surprise...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    PC_Dave said:
    I can. The sport is riddled with this kind of thing. Handing all 3 top jobs to ex Ferrari people will perpetuate it 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • My points - 

1. Coulthard needs to STFU criticising the race stewards. So fucking annoying.
    2. Quote of the race from Ricciardo on receiving his penalty - "That's OK, I'll just drive faster." NB - No whinging or moaning           like a certain other person.
    3. Albon needs to be replaced. Now.
    4. Good luck to Aston Martin next year, judging by Vettel's latest performance, they're gonna need it.
    5. Perez played a blinder. The bloke needs a decent seat next year, and I hope he gets one.
    6. Valtteri, the expletives don't do you justice, particularly as normal service will no doubt be resumed at the next race.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    Race yesterday is showing some of the quality that can be overlooked in a season like this.

Ricciardo - don't forget him, he's top drawer, he's handling that Renault superbly, don't forget what he's capable of.
    Red Bull - has the shift to a 'clear number one' driver hurt their teams / drivers ? when it was two drivers fighting, the drivers seemed very equal, now with Max as a confirmed number one, no matter who is in the second car, they suffer 
    Ferrari - it's over for Vettel, they played the team game and sacrificed Vettel for a chance of points with Leclerc, it's a public statement that there is (relative) no support behind him, which could explain a lot of problems he's been having, maybe even excuse a few perceived mistakes.
    Lots of praise for Perez, but with the car should be doing better - doesn't push / attack well, seems to be a 'clean air' driver if you look at his past years, quick no doubt, skilled no doubt, but hasn't made the impact against any team mate he's had.
    Stroll - needs to not be in F1, a great driver by normal standards, but outclassed in F1, don't know if the family realise how embarrassing it is to have to buy an F1 team to keep your child in F1 and embarrassed on global TV every week.
    Botas - should be better, not just speed but in terms of race craft, timing, etc, again no doubt he's a quick driver, you don't get second on the grid being bad, but consistently second, consistently losing places, consistently unable to challenge drivers in front, lacking that last .010 when pushing, 
    Hamilton - no doubt an exceptional driver, but continues to show throughout his career and was evident in Russia - cannot accept criticism and believes he's above the rules, talks about unity and complains about drivers not being 'unified' in their fight to end racism, yet all drivers where the same t-shirt, accept Lewis, his has to say black lives matter, rather than the end racisim t-shirts all the other drivers wear, he's the only driver who doesn't respect the podium ceremony - he's a champion he should be bringing people and the sport together,  Can't deny that pace though, 
    HaaS - need a change, need something, the car is limited, no doubt, but at the moment neither driver is pushing it, Roman has had too many F1 chances and just doesn't cut it speed/racecraft/mental strength, does the team need more than a driver change though ?
    Russel - always quick in lower ranks, but harder to measure, seeing some true consistent top tier performances every week, a far more aggressive competitor than he came across as in the lower formula too, looks like he's moving into a really strong position 

Russia as a track needs to go, it's just not a good track, not a great looking venue and no-one seems to want to be there 

David Croft is fast becoming James Allen when commentating, he was insightful and passionate at the start, now he's making 'dad jokes' all the time and trying to find the most extreme puns / links / references he can find, lots of 'in jokes' really sad as he's a great knowledge of F1, actually a good commentator when he's focussed on the race rather than trying to be a light entertainer
    My points - 

2. Quote of the race from Ricciardo on receiving his penalty - "That's OK, I'll just drive faster." NB - No whinging or moaning           like a certain other person.

What? Ricciardo made the mistake and only had himself to blame. Yet again Ham has been let down by his team - he asked whether he could do a practice start further down on a clean piece of track and was told yes. And to be fair at Monza Ham said he didn't see the lights indicating the pitlane was closed but took full responsibility for entering the pitlane. Bottas side of the garage got the call right whereas Ham's side cocked up. I'd be pissed off if my quali hadn't gone well (red flag) and I was on the back foot but managed to smash my teammate for pole only to be let down by my team who didn't read the race director's notes.

Ham also has a point that what he did is allowed at other tracks such as Brazil.

• Fretwired said:
    My points - 

What? Ricciardo made the mistake and only had himself to blame. Yet again Ham has been let down by his team - he asked whether he could do a practice start further down on a clean piece of track and was told yes. And to be fair at Monza Ham said he didn't see the lights indicating the pitlane was closed but took full responsibility for entering the pitlane. Bottas side of the garage got the call right whereas Ham's side cocked up. I'd be pissed off if my quali hadn't gone well (red flag) and I was on the back foot but managed to smash my teammate for pole only to be let down by my team who didn't read the race director's notes.

Ham also has a point that what he did is allowed at other tracks such as Brazil.

I’m not denying what went on, but it was Hamilton’s usual ‘chucking his toys out of the pram’ bleating on the radio that makes him sound like a twat. He needs to learn to put up and shut up.

And Ricciardo’s mistake was engineered by Ocon’s daft move to let him through at that point, which put him in the position. Did he moan like Hamiliton? No.

^^ What @chillidoggy said

Hamilton needs to grow a pair and get on with it.
    I can appreciate why Hamilton was bad-tempered about it; after a disrupted qualifying had already put him on to the wrong tyre, to be penalised for something which happened before the race had even begun seems like one disaster after another.  Especially as the manner in which it was applied put him right back in traffic.

For Ricciardo it was similarly harsh; Ocon made a pig’s ear of letting him past (perhaps intentionally) and he locked up into the first corner, running wide.  Giving a 5s penalty for a slithery moment was a case of “we’ll do everything by the book, even if it makes us look stupid”.

Daniel’s languid response was much more impressive than Lewis’s toys-out-of-the-pram, but he had the advantage that his nerves weren’t already frayed by troubled qualifying, wrong tyre and FP1 disasters.

edited September 2020
    PC_Dave said:
    ^^ What @chillidoggy said

Hamilton needs to grow a pair and get on with it.

Maybe he should be a robot .. F1 is stressful .. look at the greats they have fire and passion and chuck their toys around as they care and take things personally - they are driven to win. Drivers like Bottas just shug and say I'll do better next time ...

The stewards aren't after Hamilton but then Salo should be sanctioned as he was a steward on Sunday and said "Hamilton's full of shit" on TV ... not very professional.

Ricciardo made a mistake .. nothing to do with Ocon - he admitted it wasn't Ocon's fault .. he braked too late.

And Horner's a class act: “I don’t know who the reserve driver of Mercedes is, but if I were him, I would start training.”

It’s alarming to realise that, with the retirement of Sir Frank, Horner is now the elder statesman of team bosses in terms of how long he’s been in charge of Red Bull.