The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25573
    Not seen the race, but regardless of the crash a good result for the season… verstappen was looking to run away with it. Hamilton making his “luck” stick as all the greats do.

looking forward to the highlights.
    It was live on Channel 4 today….

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Really good analysis from Karun on the post-race show. 

Will try and find a clip for the C4 viewers. His suggestion is Max had bags on space on the outside but chose to turn in on Lewis after initially turning then hesistating. Racing incident. 

Between this and the “Hamilton ruined Albon’s career” shite from Marko, I wouldn’t mind at all if RB sold out to VW/Audi

Here you go ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    Racing incident but Max takes more blame imo.
    Verstappen's refusal to give up position when Hamilton was clearly almost fully alongside him caused the contact. Hamilton clearly took evasive action as soon as he saw Verstappen turn in - he braked, hence the contact being front wheel to rear wheel.
    Can't understand the stewards awarding a penalty to Hamilton - from Max's onboard camera you can clearly see him move right, straighten the steering wheel then turn right again. As he has done for his whole career, he just expected to bully the other driver into giving up position. This time he put himself out of the race.
    Max is well known for his aggressive driving and swerving under braking. He has calmed down the last few years but he still frequently makes 2 moves in the braking zone to defend position and always gets away with it.
    Hamilton looked under control right up to the collision - Max looked ragged. He had all 4 wheels off the track in the first (?) corner. Going by the rules he should have given up the position to Hamilton there.

Best I keep my views about Horner's interviews/opinion on the incident to myself.

Hamilton's fight back was immense - basically 10 qualifying laps in a row. Spectacular driving.

Mercedes still need to up their game if they want to win either championship this year - the Red Bull (with Max) is clearly the faster all-round car.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Twitter's a cesspit - Hamilton's a cheat - but I like this one ... Max has acres of space ... :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm glad Max is OK but he's like a mini Horner ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Fretwired said:

He's a mini Jos...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:

Well…. No one made him watch the celebrations, did they?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Fretwired said:

I’m surprised the doctors let him with a potential concussion!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    I am a big Hamilton fan since he squeezed Alonso in Australia on his first race.

He was mostly in the wrong here, based on outcome, but I also think MV could have easily been ahead after that corner with a far more conservative line.

It looked to me like Hamilton was bailing out anyway. I really don’t think he was going for a pass. He was going for what he did to LC : stick your nose and make them perhaps overcook it on the outside.

However, I think this crash was inevitable given what had preceded it . It was only a question of when and who might take the heat or damage.

MV has seen today the other side of the coin: it’s far easier taking risks and crashing when you are not ahead overall. That’s what he did the last few years and the championship was not his to lose. Now Hamilton or someone else can have that attitude and see which way it goes. I am sure in the long run MV will get wiser about taking risks from the lead.
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:

I’m surprised the doctors let him with a potential concussion!!
    He’s bound to have concussion, that was a serious impact. They’re still acting like petulant children though. But…. Looking at this from Red Bulls position - this is the first time in years that they have taken the fight to Mercedes. There’s a lot still to play for 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    Serving wrong with the Red Bull engine - when they stop at the end you can still hear the whining 
    Red ones are better. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Max is getting torn apart on Twitter (from what I read). 

The first reply is this..

https://i.imgur.com/vn7NLQm.png

Mariana wins the Internet today
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 528
    tFB Trader
    I'm disappointed none of the interviewers called Horner out on his BS. "Lewis just stuck a wheel up the inside". Rubbish - he stuck his whole car up the inside.
    Steve Jones seemed to be about to get into it with him then backed off.
    Marko and Horner seem to misunderstand the idiom "he who shouts loudest" and think if they keep repeating their BS it will become the truth.
    Shows their true character.

• Seb doing a bit of litter picking after the race? What a gent!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    This is what happens when you encourage side-by-side stuff by dishing out penalties to the driver on the inside.  

Max is trying to squeeze Hamilton along the straight, narrow the angle of his corner entry and force him to be slow mid corner whilst he sweeps around the outside.  Hamilton is arguably ahead given that he is fully alongside at one point on the approach, not that it matters particularly, but despite Hamilton obviously slowing to avoid running out wide and inevitably colliding with Max, they still came together.

Max did nothing to avoid the contact, if Lewis had gone to the corner with that level of commitment they would both have gone off, but it would have been a collision of front wheel to front wheel, so perhaps Max would have survived it 

It would have been interesting to see if Max wouldn't have made the corner had there been no contact.  I doubt it, personally.
    edited July 2021
    Max Verstappen's greatest hits ... :-)

We could do one for Hamilton but Horner should watch and remember ... click on the watch on YouTube ...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Telegraph seems to back Max ...

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    What a race!  And what a nail-biting finish - amazing how Hamilton hunted Leclerc down without killing his tyres.

The Verstappen crash was strikingly reminiscent of the Senna/Prost crash at the first corner of Suzuka.  Apart from that - right up to the crash, Max had (as usual) been defending right up to the very limits of staying within the rules.  He squeezed Hamilton up against the old pit wall and then chopped across him into the corner.

Max clearly knew Lewis was there, and expected him to back out of the move.  Which he didn’t...

Hamilton was predominantly at fault for the accident from a “rules” perspective, but Max was very much the architect of his own demise.

https://youtu.be/JknW7h8DS0s 

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    My take to add to the pile. 

If there is a blame to be laid, it’s Lewis’. He missed the apex and ran wide into Max who has left more than a car width. 

BUT… there was clearly no intent to run wide, Lewis has no history of bad judgment compared to Max and mostly, it could have just as easily been Lewis in the wall so he’d have been doing all he could to avoid the contact. So to me, nowhere near enough intent or bad judgement for a penalty. 

Horner does his job and I don’t have a problem with that. He does often end up making himself look like a dick though. Marko is totally batshit crazy though. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    I don't think you can expect Horner to do anything other than defend his driver and but pressure on the other. 

I suspect there will be a few more crashes, especially if it remains tight, given Max' history, Lewis will to win and how close the cars seem to be, it's inevitable.

I really do find Max hard to like though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom