Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ebola.Should we be worried?

What's Hot
I was watching the news last night when one of my kids asked me if it would spread over here and how does it kill people.After putting his mind at ease by telling him were totally safe over here it got me thinking,given the recent events in the US and Spain should we be worried?

Are we getting the full facts from the media? Maybe they're blowing it up to deflect attention from other matters or maybe they're under playing it so as not to cause panic.They are telling us there's been around 4000 deaths in Western Africa but some people who have been to the region are reporting many,many more.

What happens if it gets so out of control in Africa that it will be impossible to contain?

I wouldn't say I was scared yet but I think the next six months could be very testing times.
Laugh, love, live, learn. 
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    It's the start of the Zombie Apocalypse !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    Ebola? Pah.
    It's Man Ebola you have to worry about.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Once it's got loose it would be difficult to contain. We hope that the Spanish manage to contain theirs.

Although it is transmitted by physical contact (allegedly) I wouldn't like to say that you couldn't get it from someone who sneezes on you or coughs at you from close range (eg on a tightly packed bus or tube train carriage). Think of all the pubs, hotels, sandwich bars etc where low-paid staff handle food and may do so while feeling slightly off but not ill enough to stay away from work, then next week it turns out they're got ebola. In the meantime they've infected a lot of customers. The tiny wiggly things will have a field day.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    It's the start of the Zombie Apocalypse !
    Which of the 4 horsemen is it? Plague or Pestilence?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Let me ask you a question: Do you play with blood and/or poo often??
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    the problem isn't ebola per se (though it is nasty) it's the knock on effects. Our healthcare system isn't designed to work when something major happens (local systems struggle even with contained events like major motorway incidents), if you all of a sudden have 100's of people turning up at A&E or their GPs with ebola like symptoms (and these are pretty non specific) then it places huge strain on the system. The care is (as I understand it) not particularly technical (seems to be keep the patient hydrated and clean) but the precautions the care givers have to take are onerous and time consuming. As we saw in Spain, even in a 1st world nation taking these precautions, things go wrong. You may have health care workers refusing to come into work. I personally don't think this is our dinosaur killer event, but it could play havoc with the economy (would you like to get on a crowded bus or train if you thought someone with ebola may be on there) and our healthcare system.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10417
    edited October 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    One of my favourite pastimes. ;) I get what you're saying Drew though.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    VimFuego said:
    the problem isn't ebola per se (though it is nasty) it's the knock on effects. Our healthcare system isn't designed to work when something major happens (local systems struggle even with contained events like major motorway incidents), if you all of a sudden have 100's of people turning up at A&E or their GPs with ebola like symptoms (and these are pretty non specific) then it places huge strain on the system. The care is (as I understand it) not particularly technical (seems to be keep the patient hydrated and clean) but the precautions the care givers have to take are onerous and time consuming. As we saw in Spain, even in a 1st world nation taking these precautions, things go wrong. You may have health care workers refusing to come into work. I personally don't think this is our dinosaur killer event, but it could play havoc with the economy (would you like to get on a crowded bus or train if you thought someone with ebola may be on there) and our healthcare system.
    You've been playing too much Theme Hospital.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    not quite sure what that's even supposed to mean

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Drew_fx said:
    Did the Africans who have already got it get it by playing with blood or poo?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    no they were on the tube and someone coughed into their hand and then put their hand on the rail and two stops later a secretary got on who touched the bit with the lurgy and shazaam another African got Ebola.

Of course Africans don't play with poo or blood. Okay granted they don't have Transformers or Xbox to play with and families traditionally prepare and bury their own dead but all Africans know not to have cuts, poo or sweat if they're close to death from ebola... of course kids today don't have the same standards as they used to in other times... and their bowels slacken on death lettign out the bloody digested stomach and any poo as well - really it's the decline of society that's to blame... the older dead Africans I've known had concrete bumholes .. no chance of slipping a pinky up there.

Should we be worried - here's a really easy way of testing that: does being worried have any benefits?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    We've got a brilliant record on border control so nothing to worry about, I'm sure.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6252

RobDavies said:
    We've got a brilliant record on border control so nothing to worry about, I'm sure.
    True... as long as you've got one of these:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    edited October 2014
    frankus said:
    Should we be worried - here's a really easy way of testing that: does being worried have any benefits?
    Yes, obviously.

If being worried about the risks of catching Ebola stops just one person from going to Africa on a playing-with-blood-and-poo holiday, then being worried has had a benefit.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Hazmat suits will be all the rage this winter 

:-SS
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    Since Theresa May is in charge of the government department on the sharp end of stopping people with Ebola getting into the country, expect some pointless knee-jerk statements to show how strong and determined we are to defeat this menace, and then shortly afterwards we all die.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Theresa May is hot.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Theresa May is hot.
    She hasn't got red hair. Or do you know something I don't?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

No, but she's got the whole dominatrix thing going on. Well, in my fantasies, she has, anyway.

She looks like a baddy from a comic book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom