Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ebola.Should we be worried?

What's Hot

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    We could start looking to contain it by not bring people back to Europe for treatment when they are infected. Seems very stupid of the UK and Spain to have done this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12460
    I thought it was killer flu and killer measles that we had to worry about, but then I haven't read the papers for a while.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    Last night I had dinner with an expert in this field. He said that the Spanish outbreak was due to procedural failure, and that the Spanish would be paying particular care whilst identifying and checking those that the nurse has had contact with.  The risk remains that Ebola could come into Europe.  Ebola is not easily transmitted, it's not pneumatic like some other plagues have been. The far bigger risk is that panic amongst the general public, and indeed the medical profession, could interfere with our lives.  My friend cited a recent incident when A&E had a patient of West African origin feeling unwell.  In his concern for his own health the Doctor forgot to ask "Have you been to Africa recently?, "Have you had contact with anyone who has?". A scare started until someone remembered to ask, and got the answers "no" and "no".
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1348
    edited October 2014
    I am concerned that it will spread.  It just seems too difficult to contain it within the breakout areas of Africa.
    I'm guilty of this myself, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with the reaction to this from "The West".  I wonder if it shows how little we
    truly care about the millions dying unnecessarily in Africa every year when all it takes for a public outcry and mass media coverage is the prospect of a slither of that reaching our doorsteps.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    edited October 2014
    underdog said:
    We could start looking to contain it by not bring people back to Europe for treatment when they are infected. Seems very stupid of the UK and Spain to have done this.
    I think the reason the British chap who got it was flown back here - at great government expense in an RAF aircraft - was probably to give our top virologists access to a current live specimen, as well as to save his life. Porton Down (originally the MoD Microbiological Research Establishment, ie germ warfare) is working on it.

I'm quite sure they'll get their funding if it looks like Ebola is a serious risk here.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10417
    Apparently there are four hospitals on alert in the UK to provide 'surge capacity' if Ebola spreads here.

Just read on Sky news some experts are saying the UK is the third most likely country outside of Africa to report an Ebola case.

Don't know how they came to that conclusion but scary if true. Maybe best to employ this fellows philosophy.

And not his

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    VimFuego;373302" said:
    the problem isn't ebola per se (though it is nasty) it's the knock on effects. Our healthcare system isn't designed to work when something major happens (local systems struggle even with contained events like major motorway incidents), if you all of a sudden have 100's of people turning up at A&E or their GPs with ebola like symptoms (and these are pretty non specific) then it places huge strain on the system. The care is (as I understand it) not particularly technical (seems to be keep the patient hydrated and clean) but the precautions the care givers have to take are onerous and time consuming. As we saw in Spain, even in a 1st world nation taking these precautions, things go wrong. You may have health care workers refusing to come into work. I personally don't think this is our dinosaur killer event, but it could play havoc with the economy (would you like to get on a crowded bus or train if you thought someone with ebola may be on there) and our healthcare system.
    Calling Spain a first world country is stretching things a bit. It actually does not have the facilities recommended for ebola and still repatriated a patient. So the sentimental headlines that generated were more important than public safety? Spain is so behind Europe in science and economics that it holds less than a third of the Nobel prizes that edinburgh university does.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Evilmags said:
    VimFuego;373302" said:
    the problem isn't ebola per se (though it is nasty) it's the knock on effects. Our healthcare system isn't designed to work when something major happens (local systems struggle even with contained events like major motorway incidents), if you all of a sudden have 100's of people turning up at A&E or their GPs with ebola like symptoms (and these are pretty non specific) then it places huge strain on the system. The care is (as I understand it) not particularly technical (seems to be keep the patient hydrated and clean) but the precautions the care givers have to take are onerous and time consuming. As we saw in Spain, even in a 1st world nation taking these precautions, things go wrong. You may have health care workers refusing to come into work. I personally don't think this is our dinosaur killer event, but it could play havoc with the economy (would you like to get on a crowded bus or train if you thought someone with ebola may be on there) and our healthcare system.
    Calling Spain a first world country is stretching things a bit. It actually does not have the facilities recommended for ebola and still repatriated a patient. So the sentimental headlines that generated were more important than public safety? Spain is so behind Europe in science and economics that it holds less than a third of the Nobel prizes that edinburgh university does.
    Wages I suppose.

• Hazmat suits....
    Gesungheit *passes a tissue*

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    edited October 2014
    Bugger all you lot. I live far closer to Africa - there's regular flights in and out here every day!

I live on the 42nd floor. Ebola can't climb stairs, right?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    you don't have to worry about ebola at all, ISIS will get you far quicker.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bugger all you lot. I live far closer to Africa - there's regular flights in and out here every day!

I live on the 42nd floor. Ebola can't climb stairs, right?
    That's daleks you're thinking of...and I think even they have sorted the whole stairs thing now.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    ICBM said:
    underdog said:
    I think the reason the British chap who got it was flown back here - at great government expense in an RAF aircraft - was probably to give our top virologists access to a current live specimen, as well as to save his life. Porton Down (originally the MoD Microbiological Research Establishment, ie germ warfare) is working on it.

I'm quite sure they'll get their funding if it looks like Ebola is a serious risk here.
    Porton is part of Public Health England, whom I also work for. The govt have just cut our funding by £50 million a year! We've had stuff like Ebola Lassa etc over here before anyway, that's what we have Cat 4 labs for.

It's not all that contagious as it isn't airborne. The probability is that any one person with it is likely to pass it on to just one other. Admittedly that can add up, but it won't spread like Swine flu did. Talking of which, a flu pandemic is the thing to really worry about, we are LONG overdue one and it could kill as many as 80 million people.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6252
    Theresa May is hot.
      She will be if she catches ebola  B-)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Am I a bad person for thinking that Africa could stand to lose a few million people?
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:
    Am I a bad person for thinking that Africa could stand to lose a few million people?
    No. So could we. Just depends on which people.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    axisus said:

Porton is part of Public Health England, whom I also work for. The govt have just cut our funding by £50 million a year!
    Idiots. I'd bet you'd get it back and more if they got a case of Ebola in Westminster... personally I'd make it a condition in fact :).

Still not sure I'd be inclined to be very quick about doing anything though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• holnrew said:
    Have you seen Jessica Hyde?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:
    Have you seen Jessica Hyde?
    No. Googled it. My not having a telly (or a licence for one) might explain why.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself