Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ebola.Should we be worried?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    The Ebola spread is most worrying. Seriously, why do Tesco's sell that stuff.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    ICBM;374345" said:
    hungrymark said:

Ebola already gets funding, live samples of the virus are already kept and studied at Porton down, and this isn't the first case of the disease in the UK. There have been lab accidents at Porton down in the past. Your analysis is a bit tinfoil hat.

In what way?
    It read as if you thought the only reason they got him back was so they could ensure their funding, missed the bit where you said 'as well as save his life'. Personally I don't think it was much to do with obtaining a live sample and funding (as I say, they already work with live samples) and more to do with 'the US rescues their workers, so why don't we?'

Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    ICBM;374345" said:
    hungrymark said:

Ebola already gets funding, live samples of the virus are already kept and studied at Porton down, and this isn't the first case of the disease in the UK. There have been lab accidents at Porton down in the past. Your analysis is a bit tinfoil hat.

In what way?
    It read as if you thought the only reason they got him back was so they could ensure their funding, missed the bit where you said 'as well as save his life'. Personally I don't think it was much to do with obtaining a live sample and funding (as I say, they already work with live samples) and more to do with 'the US rescues their workers, so why don't we?'

Pah, we all know ebola is a conspiracy... the gubmen made it in dere labs and then fired it at Afreeker. Now dem gubmen all panicked because it cummin' back! Rednecks furebber!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    Possibly, but I still wonder how much it cost - sending a full RAF crew plus medical evacuation staff in a big 4-jet military transport, to fetch one person! - if there wasn't *just a little* ulterior motive as well. After all, for all the live samples they have, getting to look at someone actively infected with the disease might seem like too good an opportunity to miss… and they do seem to have made some progress since then.

I'm not knocking it at all - in fact I would be thankful that someone in government had the sense to have authorised it, if I'm even slightly right. I also wouldn't be surprised if they don't go to quite the same trouble next time, but I'm happy to be wrong :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Isil are asking for volunteers to become infected to take the disease to Europe. Panic has already set in with Cameron saying this morning that screening air travellers wasn't necessary .. by early afternoon the government had changed its mind.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1770

I remember the swine flu pandemic a few years back. I got on my high horse and claimed it was a load of old daily mail fuelled cobblers.

I then caught it.

After having this Flu i now realise that everytime i've ever claimed to have had the flu in the past i was clearly lying. This was a level of unwell I had never known before. I was wiped out for an entire month and the Dr wanted to put me in hospital.  I remember being really baffled how I'd lie in bed all the time but simply going to the bathroom would wipe me out and i'd need to sleep the rest of the day.

So a good old flu pandemic is definatley going to be the one to wipe a fair few of us out.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom