Classic B&W Horror Movies

What's Hot

Comments

• bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 924
    west said:
    " Keep watching the skies ....! "
    west said:
    "Klaatu barada nikto " ....
    Two of my very favourites but would claim them for SciFi fans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7299
    I’ll go for the classics of the Bela Lugosi Dracula, the Boris Karloff Frankenstein and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    Portmanteau horror stunner "Dead of Night" - lost none of it's impact.  Helped by a fantastic cast and one of the best wraparound stories ever in a portmanteau film.

Indeed. 

It's a work of genius and one of my favourite films. 

Halfway House is much less scary, but  has it's moments. 

A great double bill, but save Dead of Night for last!

• Black & white comedy reading of the will movie 'Dark and Stormy Night' (2009 so a bit of a cheat but I enjoyed it and it's 6.6 on imdb)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    When I was about 12 my friend had a big hardcover book about these kind of ,legendary films, and we were obsessed with them for a while… I really should search some of them out to watch.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23654
    edited July 2023
    Ooh you buggers, you've said lots of the good ones already....

The Seventh Victim
    The Old Dark House
    Carnival of Souls
    Black Sunday
    Les Diaboliques
    Eyes Without a Face
    Repulsion
    The Thing from Another World
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19393
    ^ Not many good movie versions, but I'd say MR. James ''Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad" is a tie for his best  ;)
  • LordBucketHeadLordBucketHead Frets: 302
    edited July 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Ooh you buggers, you've said lots of the good ones already....

The Seventh Victim
    The Old Dark House
    Carnival of Souls
    Black Sunday
    Les Diaboliques
    Eyes Without a Face
    'The Old Dark House' is an old favourite of mine and I'm now watching it again. 1932 and it's as fresh as paint. Ninety years old and the actors in those days could run rings round half the insipid luvvies of today (look out for Liam Gallagher as the butler)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12407
    'Whistle And I'll Come To You' (1968) - One of the Ghost Stories For Christmas broadcasts. The wonderful Michael Hordern is simply mesmerising for me in this role (look for the actual video rather than the book reading audio). 
    Indeed brilliant!

Psa - you can currently get the entire first batch of "Ghost Stories For Christmas" including this one on Amazon Prime video for £4.99 if a prime member.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Redlester said:
    On MR James- never seen Night of the Demon. Isn't it based on 'Casting the Runes'? That's probably his finest story IMO, at least in terms of pure literary construction. 
    Yes it sure is, a brilliant adaptation of it as well.
  • 'Whistle And I'll Come To You' (1968) - One of the Ghost Stories For Christmas broadcasts. The wonderful Michael Hordern is simply mesmerising for me in this role (look for the actual video rather than the book reading audio). 
    Indeed brilliant!

Psa - you can currently get the entire first batch of "Ghost Stories For Christmas" including this one on Amazon Prime video for £4.99 if a prime member.
    I bought the box set one Christmas many years ago. Such a beautiful step back in time. Michael Hordern was level genius actor. Absolutely wonderful.  
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3706
    A little later, perhaps, but I'm a sucker for Hammer. A seminal movie for me is 'Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter.' Vampires, sword fights and Caroline Munro. Young me: sold. 

In the B&W era, I have a soft spot for the Quatermass movies. Alien peril versus British grit. And cups of tea. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23654
    After all this chat I'm going to watch Night of the Demon tonight.

Now should I watch Night or Curse?  The pre-release version or theatrical version?  And in 1.75:1 or 1.66:1?  Too many choices...
  • Isn't the Casting of the Runes loosely based on Crowley?
    I first saw it in an isolated 15th century house in the countryside - scary!

I'll add the 1926 Phantom of the Opera for three things - the short but spectacular colour sequence of the phantom coming down the stairs during the masked ball. Lon Chaney's makeup, which he designed himself - and his expressions and poses while on the statue overlooking the lovers.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19393
    ^  Check your pockets for bits of parchment before going to bed...  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Freaks? 
    Philly_Q said:
    After all this chat I'm going to watch Night of the Demon tonight.

Now should I watch Night or Curse?  The pre-release version or theatrical version?  And in 1.75:1 or 1.66:1?  Too many choices...
    The longer version of Night definitely, the extra scenes are important if I recall correctly.

Bet you won't be letting people hand you paper for days...
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    Les Diaboliques. Had a young teenage me shitting myself, especially the bath scene. 

The Boris Karloff Frankenstein films are the definitive versions for me. 

I love most of the BBC MR James Xmas ghost stories. I don’t think it’s in b&w but The treasure of Abbot Thomas is my favourite. Really atmospheric. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
    west said:
    The innocents ...( deborah  kerr and peter wyngarde)  based on  henry james turn of the screw ....

also , wyngardes  night of the eagle .... 

for fun ....  The ghost train  .....
    The Innocents has great cinematography. The scene where the governess first sees the woman across the lake is very unsettling - the film takes on a grainy dense look and the same effect is used again when she sees the man at the top of the tower. It’s as if she’s seeing into another world, so different to the pristine b&w of the remainder of the picture. IIRC, I think Nic Roeg shot that film using filters he borrowed from Jack Cardiff.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3739
    Quatermass Experiment,,,  perfect horror/sci-if blend.    

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom