Classic B&W Horror Movies

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3186
    edited July 2023
    Freaks? 
    I think this film is unique and not likely to be made in the modern age. I think I first saw it when Channel 4 did a series of banned films, maybe 30 years ago. It certainly left an impression on me and I bought it on DVD a few years ago. Very strange, very scary and a B&W classic IMO.

Haxan: Witchcraft Through The Ages is another that's an uncomfortable watch. I've said it here before that I saw this late one Halloween evening when hazy from a co-codamol and brandy mix which had me drifting in an out of sleep. At some stage I thought 'What the fuck am I watching?' Next day I couldn't work out whether it was real or whether I'd been hallucinating. Weird, and with imagery that sticks in your head. 

The whole film can be watched on YouTube

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Was The Trollenberg Terror B&W?  It was 1958 I think, so maybe not.  AKA The Crawling Eye in USA...

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23654
    Nitefly said:
    Was The Trollenberg Terror B&W?  It was 1958 I think, so maybe not.  AKA The Crawling Eye in USA...

Yes, it's B&W.  It's made me think of another late '50s (or maybe early '60s) film, The City of the Dead with Christopher Lee.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12407
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    See recent study on toxic masculinity "Men" or the Underground scene in American Werewolf...

"Men" is on prime btw, call me amazon's bitch. 
    Despite watching 'Men' through to the bitter end, I really didn't like it.  Bit too clever for its' own good.
    Or not clever enough....

The aforementioned early scene with the railway tunnel is the best part of the film, though.
    I really enjoyed it, I love the creepy English folk references, and the performances were wonderful.

I thought the exploration of the various forms toxic masculinity can take, the guy desperate to appear noble scored some points off me personally, was clever.

I mean my general lack of friends suggests I may be a bit of a dickhead, but being introduced to several very specific types of dickhead I am a bit (fortunately not the abusive boyfriend one, I'm not that bad) made an impact on me.

Obviously nothing tops "Wicker Man" in terms of horror relying on the creepy mythology of random bits of England.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Offset said:
    'Whistle And I'll Come To You' (1968) - One of the Ghost Stories For Christmas broadcasts. The wonderful Michael Hordern is simply mesmerising for me in this role (look for the actual video rather than the book reading audio). 
    Indeed brilliant!

Psa - you can currently get the entire first batch of "Ghost Stories For Christmas" including this one on Amazon Prime video for £4.99 if a prime member.
    I bought the box set one Christmas many years ago. Such a beautiful step back in time. Michael Hordern was level genius actor. Absolutely wonderful.  
    He was indeed, but I must admit 'Whistle' is one of my least-favourite M.R. James adaptations in the GSFC series.  One of my absolute favorites is 'A Warning To The Curious' - not least because I was growing up around many of the locations used in the production (north Norfolk) at the time it was made, but also because it featured the utterly brilliant Peter Vaughn.

"No diggin' ere!"
    Wow really?  I mean the 2010 remake was shit but the Hordern one you didn't like?

Treasure of Abbott Thomas is one I'm very fond of.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    west said:
    "Help me .... help meeeeeeeeeee ! "
    This.

Just reading that made the hairs on my neck stand up. Far better than the David Cronenberg/Jeff Goldblum remake. (Much as I like Goldblum.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The various fans of physical media here... tried rarewaves.com?  Delivery takes a while sometimes but currently got loads of blu rays under a fiver including some rare stuff.  May be worth a look-see?
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1557
    Also, for fans of physical media - I have recently found an unopened DVD of "Freaks" if anyone's interested. I really didn't like it but received a copy as a gift an eternity ago. If this is the wrong place for this, I'll be happy to delete this comment and re-post in the correct area.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19393
    GoFish said:
    Also, for fans of physical media - I have recently found an unopened DVD of "Freaks" if anyone's interested. I really didn't like it but received a copy as a gift an eternity ago. If this is the wrong place for this, I'll be happy to delete this comment and re-post in the correct area.
    Well, I reckon it's as about as off topic as you could get  ;)
    GLWTS
    We live in the era of social media networks named after terrifying films about nuclear war... pretty much anything is fair game!!
    The various fans of physical media here... tried rarewaves.com?  Delivery takes a while sometimes but currently got loads of blu rays under a fiver including some rare stuff.  May be worth a look-see?
    I haven't ever seen the site, although the name sounds familiar. I'll take a look.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    Offset said:
    'Whistle And I'll Come To You' (1968) - One of the Ghost Stories For Christmas broadcasts. The wonderful Michael Hordern is simply mesmerising for me in this role (look for the actual video rather than the book reading audio). 
    Indeed brilliant!

Psa - you can currently get the entire first batch of "Ghost Stories For Christmas" including this one on Amazon Prime video for £4.99 if a prime member.
    I bought the box set one Christmas many years ago. Such a beautiful step back in time. Michael Hordern was level genius actor. Absolutely wonderful.  
    He was indeed, but I must admit 'Whistle' is one of my least-favourite M.R. James adaptations in the GSFC series.  One of my absolute favorites is 'A Warning To The Curious' - not least because I was growing up around many of the locations used in the production (north Norfolk) at the time it was made, but also because it featured the utterly brilliant Peter Vaughn.

"No diggin' ere!"
    Wow really?  I mean the 2010 remake was shit but the Hordern one you didn't like?

No I didn't, and I'm probably in a minority.

TOAT - Yep, that was brilliant.
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    Indeed brilliant!

"No diggin' ere!"

Legit opinion mate, no judgement here :)

I liked the slime monster :)
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1557
    To avoid further confusion, I'm not selling it!  - If anyone wants it, get in touch and it is yours.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    I've got Freaks on DVD already, but it's probably not a film which will be seen much in the future.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19393
    edited July 2023
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    Indeed brilliant!

"No diggin' ere!"

Legit opinion mate, no judgement here

I liked the slime monster
    I hate to be the pedant (OK, maybe occasionally) but surely the 'Oh Whistle And I'll Come To You, My Lad' &  "Ghost Stories For Christmas" etc are not films/movies, they were made for UK terrestrial TV adaptations?
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    See recent study on toxic masculinity "Men" or the Underground scene in American Werewolf...

Despite watching 'Men' through to the bitter end, I really didn't like it.  Bit too clever for its' own good.
    Or not clever enough....

The aforementioned early scene with the railway tunnel is the best part of the film, though.
    I really enjoyed it, I love the creepy English folk references, and the performances were wonderful.

I thought the exploration of the various forms toxic masculinity can take, the guy desperate to appear noble scored some points off me personally, was clever.

I mean my general lack of friends suggests I may be a bit of a dickhead, but being introduced to several very specific types of dickhead I am a bit (fortunately not the abusive boyfriend one, I'm not that bad) made an impact on me.

Obviously nothing tops "Wicker Man" in terms of horror relying on the creepy mythology of random bits of England.
    Going back to Men, briefly - it could very nearly have its own thread and I don't want to derail this one too much - although I didn't really enjoy it, it was certainly one of the most thought-provoking films I've seen for a very long time.  There's a lot which is open to interpretation, and some of it may be what the filmmaker(s) intended, but much of it is totally subjective.  So credit to them for that!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

Or not clever enough....

And Scotland  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

Or not clever enough....

And Scotland  ;)

Of course, sorry!