Classic B&W Horror Movies

What's Hot

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4305
    The leopard man 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23653
    Philly_Q said:
    After all this chat I'm going to watch Night of the Demon tonight.

Now should I watch Night or Curse?  The pre-release version or theatrical version?  And in 1.75:1 or 1.66:1?  Too many choices...
    The longer version of Night definitely, the extra scenes are important if I recall correctly.

Bet you won't be letting people hand you paper for days...
    Fortunately the office has been paperless since Covid....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1003
    Gawd i love this thread  ;)    I have a real soft spot for the universal films, apart from the ones mentioned so far i would include Son of Frankenstein with basil rathbone , allthough its hard to ignor the lampooning of it from young frankenstein ( which i love too )

lon chaney/ claud reins in the wolfman is great too ....

"even a man who is pure in heart,
    and says his prayers by night,
    maybe become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright ...."

when i was a nipper i had all those Aurora glow in the dark models ... frankenstein /mummy /creature/dracula/forgotten prisoner/hunchback etc  ....

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12407
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    After all this chat I'm going to watch Night of the Demon tonight.

Now should I watch Night or Curse?  The pre-release version or theatrical version?  And in 1.75:1 or 1.66:1?  Too many choices...
    The longer version of Night definitely, the extra scenes are important if I recall correctly.

Bet you won't be letting people hand you paper for days...
    Fortunately the office has been paperless since Covid....

@Philly_Q ;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Runic_letters_elder_futhark.svg/310px-Runic_letters_elder_futhark.svg.png?20090115122232
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7346
    Not a horror but as a youngster I found the Basil Rathbone Hound of the Baskervilles absolutely terrifying !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    edited July 2023
    Another vote for Night of The Demon, not watched it for a long time though.

I'd add in the original Blair Witch Project - I thought it was very original and tense when it first came out. It was b&w wasn't it? Wondering now...
    Snap said:
    I'd add in the original Blair Witch Project - I thought it was very original and tense when it first came out. It was b&w wasn't it? Wondering now...
    It's colour, but very washed out.  And some of the key scenes are shot with night vision of whatever it should be called, so it's almost and honorary B&W film.  I think it's much maligned - most people saw it after reading all the hype and dismiss it as rubbish, but in its own right I think it's bloody scary.  And it pretty much started a whole sub-genre of horror movies.

That reminds me, I'm going to throw in the Uruguayan film The Silent House.  It takes place almost entirely in the dark (and supposedly in a single take) so it's not so much black and white as... black!  That really is a film where your imagination does most of the work.  I was absolutely shitting myself when I saw it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    Philly_Q said:
    Snap said:
    It's colour, but very washed out.  And some of the key scenes are shot with night vision of whatever it should be called, so it's almost and honorary B&W film.  I think it's much maligned - most people saw it after reading all the hype and dismiss it as rubbish, but in its own right I think it's bloody scary.  And it pretty much started a whole sub-genre of horror movies.

That reminds me, I'm going to throw in the Uruguayan film The Silent House.  It takes place almost entirely in the dark (and supposedly in a single take) so it's not so much black and white as... black!  That really is a film where your imagination does most of the work.  I was absolutely shitting myself when I saw it.
    I have a lot of time for the original Blair Witch.  Found footage films seem to be an acquired taste even in the horror film fraternity.  
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    'Whistle And I'll Come To You' (1968) - One of the Ghost Stories For Christmas broadcasts. The wonderful Michael Hordern is simply mesmerising for me in this role (look for the actual video rather than the book reading audio). 
    It's not B&W but the Ghost Strories for Christmas adaptation of 'The Signalman' is wonderful. 
    I have a lot of time for the original Blair Witch.  Found footage films seem to be an acquired taste even in the horror film fraternity.  
    There was a period when there were so many of them that I was almost inclined to dismiss each new one rather than giving it a chance... one of the reasons horror's a successful genre is that horror movies are cheap to make, and found-footage is even cheaper.  There are a lot of terrible, lazily-made found-footage horror movies.  But also some excellent ones, like Lake Mungo.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 558
    Surprised Night of the Living Dead hasn't been mentioned. True classic 
    bobblehat said:
    Surprised Night of the Living Dead hasn't been mentioned. True classic 
    I could've sworn someone mentioned on the first page, otherwise I would've.  You're right of course.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4305
    Not black & white but I love the British horror anthology films 
      There were four or 5 produced each containing 4 or 5 stories and starring actors such as Peter Cushing ,Terry Thomas ,Tom baker ,Ian ogilvy ,Christopher Lee etc .

one was called The vault of horror 
    ^ From Beyond the Grave, Dr Terror's House of Horrors, Asylum etc. :)
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7346
    Philly_Q said:
    Snap said:

I remember watching it with my brother and within 15 mins we had totally switched off and started chatting. The interesting thing is that we must have been paying attention subconsciously as during the final scene (no spoilers) the whole story came together - that couple of minutes was probably the most terrified I've ever been watching a film 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12407
    edited July 2023
    'Whistle And I'll Come To You' (1968) - One of the Ghost Stories For Christmas broadcasts. The wonderful Michael Hordern is simply mesmerising for me in this role (look for the actual video rather than the book reading audio). 
    It's not B&W but the Ghost Strories for Christmas adaptation of 'The Signalman' is wonderful. 
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, railway tunnels are fucking scary, the end.

See recent study on toxic masculinity "Men" or the Underground scene in American Werewolf...

"Men" is on prime btw, call me amazon's bitch. 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    See recent study on toxic masculinity "Men" or the Underground scene in American Werewolf...

Despite watching 'Men' through to the bitter end, I really didn't like it.  Bit too clever for its' own good.
    Offset said:

Despite watching 'Men' through to the bitter end, I really didn't like it.  Bit too clever for its' own good.
    Or not clever enough....

The aforementioned early scene with the railway tunnel is the best part of the film, though.
    I've got a "Complete Works" of Charles Dickens.  It's got all the novels, loads of his non-fiction, loads of short stories including collaborations with other authors.  But for some strange reason it has not got "The Signal-Man".  It makes me wonder what else is missing.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    Indeed brilliant!

Psa - you can currently get the entire first batch of "Ghost Stories For Christmas" including this one on Amazon Prime video for £4.99 if a prime member.
    I bought the box set one Christmas many years ago. Such a beautiful step back in time. Michael Hordern was level genius actor. Absolutely wonderful.  
    He was indeed, but I must admit 'Whistle' is one of my least-favourite M.R. James adaptations in the GSFC series.  One of my absolute favorites is 'A Warning To The Curious' - not least because I was growing up around many of the locations used in the production (north Norfolk) at the time it was made, but also because it featured the utterly brilliant Peter Vaughn.

"No diggin' ere!"