Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Fatherhood thread

What's Hot

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    Drew_fx said:
    Being free and independent is the best thing in the world. Contributing to the downfall of society is not.

Lets be fair, who need a clone of you in the world? ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Jetfire said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Being free and independent is the best thing in the world. Contributing to the downfall of society is not.

I don't think you quite understand how genetics works, especially when the parents are from different races.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll only echo the above listed, but my first child is now just over 7 months old.... and yes, the first two months are a grind. I found that the third month onwards almost to the day just got a lot easier though. Maybe it's because they really start to develop their own personality then so you dont notice the grizzling so much..... but it does get easier. I mean, my son still doesnt sleep through the night, but you'll actually get used to that too - 4 hour birsts of sleep are a luxury!
    Drew_fx said:
    Jetfire said:
    Drew_fx said:

I don't think you quite understand how genetics works, especially when the parents are from different races.

Oh I do, esp as Im geneticist but it was funny to say it. :) I mean, who doesnt want a Mini Drew??

I was all doom and gloom about kids but its really not that bad.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    Love it!

Gonna have to get one for the new arrival.
  • I've got a 3year old (I was 30, wife was 31) and another due in March. 
    To echo the general theme, the first three months or so are a grind, but after that it starts getting better... and better... I LOVE spending time with my wee one now (to the point that I'm concerned about version 2.0 diminishing the time I have with her).

My best advice is do what you think is right. EVERYONE will have an opinion about what's best and what works, try things out, don't be afraid to make mistakes or "get it wrong". So long as you, you kid and your Mrs are happy(ish) you're doing fine. 

How's your other half doing with the nights starting to draw in? Mine felt like she had "cabin fever" due to being cooped up while I was at work... (she had mild post natal depression) Hopefully it won't be an issue for anyone else, it's worth keeping an eye out for though- it's hard to spot what with hormones, sleep deprivation etc. If you (or anyone else) thinks she's a bit "down" it may be worth chatting to the midwife.

Sorry to drag the mood down, but hopefully the wee one will be the best thing that ever happened to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:
    How old was everyone when they first had kids? I'm worried about being too old by the time I'm able to.
    I was 30 for the first, then 32 for the second.  They are now 5 & 3.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Kids are great. Especially when they steal the knobs off your mesa boogie and decide to colour in all your effects pedals with mummy's lipstick...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    We've only got the one, but I can't help feeling a little smug that we managed to keep her functional as far as her 20th birthday last week. I count that as a job well done (it was quite the challenge at times).

I feel the same - I've got two, 26 and 28. They seem to be reasonably well balanced productive individuals. However I wouldn't be surprised if grandchildren were on the cards soon... which I'm sure will be another kettle of fish! I'm too young to be a grandpa!

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    As the Curator and Bank for 19yr old Twins all I can say is ,,,erm,,, start saving for their University Fund whilst they are still a foetus ;)
    and you'll never have known you could be so broke and knackered but have so much fun and giggles.
    edited October 2014
    [admin edit]

Who has daughters here?
    Wow... your mum must be so proud..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jetfire said:
    Wow... your mum must be so proud..
    She actually is quite proud of me, yes. But it has nothing to do with my sexual experiences as a young teenager. Mostly to do with the charming man I've become.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited October 2014
    Drew_fx;389124" said:
    [admin edit].

Who has daughters here?
    [admin edit] Bit weird

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    underdog said:
    Drew_fx;389124" said:
    [admin edit]

Who has daughters here?
    [admin edit] Bit weird

It's perfectly legal in certain countries.
  • Kids are great. Especially when they steal the knobs off your mesa boogie and decide to colour in all your effects pedals with mummy's lipstick...
    I was full of sympathy until you tried to pretend that the lipstick was actually your wife's.  Man, it's the 21st century - If you wanna strap on a guitar, slap on some lippy and rock out then there ain't nobody here whose going to judge you for it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kids are great. Especially when they steal the knobs off your mesa boogie and decide to colour in all your effects pedals with mummy's lipstick...
    I was full of sympathy until you tried to pretend that the lipstick was actually your wife's.  Man, it's the 21st century - If you wanna strap on a guitar, slap on some lippy and rock out then there ain't nobody here whose going to judge you for it.
    Why are you so transphobic?
  • Drew_fx said:
    Kids are great. Especially when they steal the knobs off your mesa boogie and decide to colour in all your effects pedals with mummy's lipstick...
    Why are you so transphobic?
    I just think those who act as if they are ashamed of it makes it more difficult for the rest of us to be open about who we really are.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27931
    edited October 2014
    Some comment - inappropriate for a thread in OT - have been removed, rather than putting the whole thread into SC (which wouldn't reflect the general tone of the rest of the discussion).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.