Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the best amp you've ever played?

What's Hot

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430

Or maybe

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2228
    edited September 2023
    roberty said:
    I've never really fetishised amps, I see them more as pedal platforms...
    That's where I've ended up, after playing through loads of stuff, from classic amps and fx pedals, to complex midi switched rack mounted gear.

Now it's just a Helix LT into an HRD IV and it's probably the best sound and easiest set up I've ever had.

I know I'm a philistine but it works for me in a live band context.

It's not a competition.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5117
    edited September 2023
    My Bartel Starwood has a stunning range of quality tones and a glorious two-knob reverb. It’s definitely the best amp I’ve ever played but sadly it’s now for sale, for various reasons. Check it out in the classifieds folks! 

260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3228
    tFB Trader
    My own amps aside...

- Carr Rambler

- Z-Wreck

- Gartone 5E3

These three are by far the best I've played, both in harmonic content and touch response. As I said before, I'd order an amp from Gartone without hesitation.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29214
    edited September 2023
    I really liked the Matchless they plugged me into when I tried a Vigier in World Guitars.

But the MJW I had was even better (the brief was "zingy like the Matchless I tried"), and sparkly blue. 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    edited September 2023
    26.2 said:
    Just about any AC30 is the best for me, apart from solid state ones. It’s my sound. Sadly they’re just too heavy and unreliable so I switched to Fenders a decade ago. 

If there’s ever a convincing ‘Tonemaster’ AC30 I’m in!  

The Yamaha THR 100 does a very good tone impression based on my experience but obviously looks nothing like one...
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1597
    Some amazing amps here. My submission is more of a trip down memory lane, and the first proper or good amp I ever plugged in to. Coming from solid state practice crap and lower end branded amps, I was offered a go on a JCM800 I think at actual trouser flapping volume. The thing that stayed with me most was the sheer raw power of the beast, and the ringing in my ears. It was a revelation and something that I knew would not be replicated at home.  So that saved me a lot of hassle too.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dr Z Carmen Ghia / Maz 18

Marshall Jubilee

Rift PR18

Matamp V28

All made me smile a lot and if I was a collector, would all still be with me.  Only 1 remains.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 923
    RiftAmps said:
    My own amps aside...

- Carr Rambler

- Z-Wreck

- Gartone 5E3

These three are by far the best I've played, both in harmonic content and touch response. As I said before, I'd order an amp from Gartone without hesitation.
    Love my Gartone 5e3.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    edited September 2023
    I don’t have a best ever but my latest favourite is the Electro Harmonix Mig-50 through their 2 X 12”

https://ibb.co/K5ctmbY

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2395
    The Matchless Lightning Reverb that I have owned and gigged for 15 years.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    One of these 

with a pair of these 

My first ever pro gigging rig back in the 70s 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    edited September 2023

• Probably a really old tweed Fender Champ I tried out my SG Junior with. It didn’t need anything more than a volume and tone control as the sound was fantastic.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73155
    One of these

with a pair of these 

Just out of curiosity... how did you connect it up? Those Fender cabs are 4-ohm each, and the head - even if it's a later version with the impedance selector - only has 16, 8 and 4-ohm options, not 2-ohm...

Either: you made a custom cable or splitter box to connect them in series and set the amp to 8 ohms.

Or: you just plugged them in and cranked it up, what is this impedance thing anyway?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I've not owned or played through that many amps, but one that sticks in my mind was a Trace Elliot Speed Twin that I found in this incredibly grungy rehearsal room my band used a few times.

iirc (it was a long time ago) it was running through a Marshall 4x12 cab and sounded glorious - way better than the Valvestates that most rehearsal rooms had.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9636
    One of these 

with a pair of these 

How’s your back?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would say my first Valve Fender, which was a late’73 Pro Reverb. I bought this new from the long defunct South East Entertainments shop in Lewisham for £235. I found the old receipt recently and its dated 10/1/74. I stupidly sold this in ‘81 and have regretted ever since. I doubt I could lift it now (at 71) but it came with factory fitted casters and an embossed vinyl cover ( though i dont think this was standard practice then). Until recently i have used either a Carr Rambler or a mid 70s Deluxe Reverb and occasionally a 74 Vibrolux for bigger gigs but a recent purchase of a Tonemaster Princeton has proved a great substitute for smallish gigs. The DI is excellent and really handy for adding a bit of oomph.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    A small Lazy J. I bought a VERY beat up Tokai Gold Star off a guy in Oxford and when I went to pick it up, this was his sole amp. Incredible.

My old Fender Twin. It was a red knob with a speaker change and decent valves. Sounded absolutely sublime.

My current amp. Positive Grid Spark mini. I kid you not. I’m absolutely in shock at how good it is. Any tone in my head that I’ve always strived for is in there somewhere. It might not be a Lazy J but my GOD it’s good.
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 260
    I think the following.

1. mid 60s grey panel AC30 top boost (long gone)
    2. Recently acquired ‘78 Deluxe Reverb. This one has a particularly nice spring tank. So much so that my tech who gave it a once over recorded an IR of the reverb and he already has a ‘69 of his own.
    3. Still love my 18 watt handwired mini Bluesbreaker Marshall.
    4. I’m rather fond of a late 70s Park 20 watt combo. It’s unusual - the controls are backwards facing like the earlier Fenders. It is similar to a Marshall 20 Lead/Bass (???) from the same era but not a rebadged model like some Parks are. EL84s. Had it flat out through an attenuator and it is quite something.