Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

XL Bully Dogs.........

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    I take the Dalek perspective............firstly I think they would stand up pretty well to a bully ...all that metal cladding and the round bits making it hard to get a good bite hold ........then,
    EXTERMINATE,EXTERMINATE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Where I used to live, these dogs were rife and it’s one of the reasons why I moved.  I don’t think there are any real consequences at the moment, I feel the bully XL was part of the standard requirements for the dealer and wannabes who lived in my area at the time.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder if people that are happy to have the breed on the streets and blame the owners for any incidents would also be happy if people were allowed to carry guns around ? To me it’s the same thing - they are both designed / bred to be weapons and have no place in society 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5775
    I wonder if people that are happy to have the breed on the streets and blame the owners for any incidents would also be happy if people were allowed to carry guns around ? To me it’s the same thing - they are both designed / bred to be weapons and have no place in society 
    But if everyone had one………

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• PennPenn Frets: 668
    I wonder if people that are happy to have the breed on the streets and blame the owners for any incidents would also be happy if people were allowed to carry guns around ? To me it’s the same thing - they are both designed / bred to be weapons and have no place in society 
    Spot on. 

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited September 2023
    This is what I said earlier - treat these dogs like guns.  Its funny if you note those on here who say 'its not the dog's fault' and then see them express disgust at the lack of gun control in the US.  The NRA says "its not the gun's fault - guns don't kill, people do". These dogs are the same - street weapons.  

Would you be happy to have your neighbours owning and walking their Lions, Leopards, etc round your streets?  No, of course not, no matter how well trained.  Why do you think that these dogs bred to kill are any different?  Just because they are dogs and you like dogs?  Irrational.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder if people that are happy to have the breed on the streets and blame the owners for any incidents would also be happy if people were allowed to carry guns around ? To me it’s the same thing - they are both designed / bred to be weapons and have no place in society 
    No con , I don’t think people should have guns , I just think that banning a breed doesn’t solve the problem, it’s putting a plaster on the problem which will keep bleeding. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Surely as cross bred pit bulls these dogs are already illegal to own?

• Dogs that share physical characteristics to banned breeds, such as cross-breeds, are also banned.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19351
    Haych said:
    Hardly think a Bully XL could be considered a concealed carry?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5775
    Haych said:
    Hardly think a Bully XL could be considered a concealed carry?
    I wasn’t being serious, I expect you already know that though. More of a facetious dig at the NRA argument that what we need is more guns in the hands of the good guys and then the bad guys with guns would have a tough time. 

A bit like a bully XL or whatever they are, not everyone wants a dangerous dog/gun and if bully XLs were ubiquitous there would inevitably be more carnage and death. Same with guns. 

Sorry for taking the thread slightly off topic. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Chalky said:
    This is what I said earlier - treat these dogs like guns.  Its funny if you note those on here who say 'its not the dog's fault' and then see them express disgust at the lack of gun control in the US.  The NRA says "its not the gun's fault - guns don't kill, people do". These dogs are the same - street weapons.  

Would you be happy to have your neighbours owning and walking their Lions, Leopards, etc round your streets?  No, of course not, no matter how well trained.  Why do you think that these dogs bred to kill are any different?  Just because they are dogs and you like dogs?  Irrational.
    But, for all your hyperbole, you still haven't said exactly a) how these dogs would be added to the banned breed list, since they aren't actually a recognised breed, and b) why you believe adding them to the list would be more effective at stopping the attacks than all of the bans have been over the last 30 years.
    <space for hire>
  • Chalky said:

Nothing to do with liking dogs ( I do ) and everything to do with banning a breed doesn’t fix the problem. I believe that making owners responsible for their dogs actions might actually go some way to fixing the problem. 
  • Offset said:
    Well we love our old girl. She's a rescue as I have pointed out here previously and we had her DNA tested when we got her. Some breeds in there you wouldn't go out to acquire. She's a lovely dog BUT as much as we love her and as gentle as she is with us, she never goes off the lead and we're wary of her with dogs and people we and she don't know. Other owners are not so mindful however - only  a couple of weeks ago a guy allowed his staffie to come racing up to us and snap and snarl at Pickle, who ignored it on the first two occasions. The third time however it got within striking distance and she managed to grab it.  She didn't do it any real damage but Mrs O was holding her at the time and was very upset.  

It's the owners not the dogs. Never 100% trust your pet and act accordingly. If your dog doesn't have 100% recall  or isn't well-mannered with other dogs, keep it on a lead.

That said these bullies aren't pets - they're status symbols for druggie chavs.
    I think I've read all posts on this and my first thought was this and I think you are the only to mention it - Not just for the chavs but the gang dealers/bosses etc and they are there for a reason - Not sure it is just about status but protection and creating fear
    I totally agree that this is one half of the population that buy them. The other half are often normal animal loving people that are blind to the danger that they can pose. I suggest having a look at the 'banpitbulls' subreddit, there are lots of screenshots of cautious owners seeming making awful decisions by asking for advice when the dog plays up. "My baby pitty would never hurt a fly but by 2 year old niece walked past and he bit her. What should I do??" I am very conscious of that communities purpose but somethings you can't ignore. These blind/oblivious owners are equally as dangerous as those who use them as status symbols. I realise that these aren't strictly XL Bully related. The below posts are all different people.

From a couple of weeks ago: XL Bully dog seized after reports of attacks in Rhondda Cynon Taf - Wales Online

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Alterlifeson - all of those examples have nothing to do with the breed, though, and everything to do with owners doing stupid things like not teaching children how to behave around free-roaming dogs, using e-collars and having adolescent littermates playing unattended.

You see those stories everywhere with all breeds, but if you're hanging around in #banpitbulls...kinda self-selecting.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3159
    edited September 2023
    If they go to attack you, shout 'Walkies' like Barbara Woodhouse and they'll walk away calmly with you (always best impersonating her rather than just shouting the word in your usual voice).

If they're still aggressive throw them a ball and it will give chase and bring it back to you. Repeat until it's knackered.

If that doesn't work, get some chicken from your pocket, tell it to sit, give paw, beg and roll over. All dogs will do this for a piece of chicken.

If that doesn't work, kick it in the balls.

Preparation Plan (if you hear of such a dog in your area)

1 x Barbara Woodhouse cassette tape (unavailable in other formats)
    1 x ball (ideally with a squeaky)
    1 x cooked chicken (Waitrose, they can be fussy)
    1 x pair of steel toe capped boots

• Just as an update 

it wasn’t an XL bully but a staff / bully cross which had heat exhaustion. 
    Owner had it out in hottest day of year and off lead. 

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3159
    Seriously anyone owning such dogs MUST:

- All dogs should be registered and licensed to the owner - cost £20
    - All owners must show evidence of formal training for their dog within 6 months of new ownership. Cost £50
    - All dogs must have a medical check-up yearly - cost £100
    - £500 minimum fine for a dog attack. 

All proceeds to the Boris, Liz, Sunak party fund

Maybe by forcing people to be more responsible dog owners will remove such animals from our streets and their owners can go back to the good old days of knives, bats and acid attacks. 

• It wouldn’t be a manslaughter charge for that, but would be an assault charge. If you can’t control your dog that’s your fault not the dogs , Is how would  I look at it. 

If you don’t have 100% recall at anytime your dog shouldn’t be loose in public 
    It wouldn't be assault (unless, potentially, the person in control of the dog deliberately set it on you). It'd be an offence of owning or being in charge of a dog dangerously out of control. S.3 Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    If certain people cannot be trusted with certain breeds that can be unpredictably dangerous then the government has a duty to protect its citizens.

It's all well and good saying that the owners are at fault but if the owners are too reckless, criminal or just plain stupid to be in charge of a dangerous dog or gun or knife or motorcycle or supercar then the government must tske action to reduce the potential risks.

Blaming the owner won't un-ruin someone's life. Removing the potential cause of harm might just stop it in the first place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • the XL Bully is just the latest dog to be blamed for everything, Staffies, Rotties, GSD etc have all been classed as " devil dogs" previously. 
    The owners need to held responsible as its a status symbol, lets start prosecuting the owners, your dog attacks someone, the owner gets an assault /attempted manslaughter charge.  Start dealing with these scrotes properly 
    I'm pretty sure 'attempted manslaughter' isn't possible.