Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

XL Bully Dogs.........

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    On my estate there are a few people with them. One family have a fully grown one, she's about 4ft 5, and decides to bring a dog that she can barely control to the communal play area with loads of kids and let's if off the lead. She's just got two more puppies so now they have two adults, two young toddlers and three XL Bullies in a two bedroom flat, and they're all allowed to be off the lead in a built up area with young children around. 

People have no sense. I don't take my son down there anymore. They're too dangerous, and owners are too stupid. Ban them.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19351
    Genuine question. Whatever happened to bans on the systematic physical mutilation of dogs for fashion purposes?
    A lot of photos I have been able to find relating to the 'breed', involves dogs with cut/trimmed ears.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66775985

Also, this type of bully is particularly dangerous & scary

Suella Braverman pushes for ban of lethal American bully XL dogs
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Just as an update 

it wasn’t an XL bully but a staff / bully cross which had heat exhaustion. 
    Owner had it out in hottest day of year and off lead. 

Yes – one of those who shouldn't be allowed to own any animal. But reasonable for people to point out that the incident would have been easier to deal with if you swap in a less powerful dog, and that they're sick of sharing public spaces with dogs they find intimidating.

The broader point, and one that is unpopular with many fans of all sorts of dogs, is that unless you're providing working dogs for one of a few jobs, no breeder these days should ever be selecting for anything except health and temperament/manageability. The XL Bully is very high on the list, but there a great many breeds the world doesn't need.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • the XL Bully is just the latest dog to be blamed for everything, Staffies, Rotties, GSD etc have all been classed as " devil dogs" previously. 
    The owners need to held responsible as its a status symbol, lets start prosecuting the owners, your dog attacks someone, the owner gets an assault /attempted manslaughter charge.  Start dealing with these scrotes properly 
    I'm pretty sure 'attempted manslaughter' isn't possible.
    Yeah I realise this. Was supposed to say assault/ attempted murder/ manslaughter 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Genuine question. Whatever happened to bans on the systematic physical mutilation of dogs for fashion purposes?
    A lot of photos I have been able to find relating to the 'breed', involves dogs with cut/trimmed ears.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66775985
    Still legal to import them with the procedure already performed, sadly. But also, and indeed mainly: the bastards who breed them don't give a shit about the law.
  • I’m guessing the type of folk who breed these monstrosities aren’t in the top quartile of law-abiders in society and I would speculate that their owners aren’t either. 

I don’t think any mandatory chipping/ licensing etc etc will work as they’re probably all back-street breeders flogging the pups of these things on the dark web. This will also make prosecution for owners tricky as defining ownership could be hard to prove.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1412
    edited September 2023
    I love dogs, the supreme species.

But they are often protective over single individuals in a household. Ive seen my 14 yr old neice get aggressively bitten and blood drawn  by the cutest cavapoochon, because it only lets her mum take stuff away from it. It has had a go at me when looking after it.

Thats after significant investment in help with training, behavior etc and all the effort in the world from the mum and ongoing daily effort ,the little shit still does it.

If it was a mike tyson look alike with a jaw as wide as a les paul, then iim sure neice would have been significantly injured.

Think dogs sense fear and if the dog looks scary in its stature it might sense it and may be more prone to aggression etc in public.

This breed in my limited knowledge are rated as some of the most dangerous dogs in the world, along with huge USA cross wolves and stuff. 

If you want a large animal as a pet, just get a sow in.

Dont worry, be silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My cat used to occasionally give people the side eye /thread ;) 
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7713
    Somebody, and maybe also others, mentioned earlier about underestimating the damage that any dog of an appreciable size is capable of inflicting.  I was once attacked by two border collies on the loose while I was mowing my front lawn. They attempted to round me up as one snarling slabbering one faced me off and the other circled behind me.  I received a deep bite on my leg despite bashing them with the lawnmower and kicking them with my toe-tectors, and they weren't going to give up despite being injured.  When one lunged at my neighbour as he came out, he avoided being savaged by smashing that dog's head with a shovel, killing it.  We then managed to fend the other one off and it ran off injured and was later snared by the police dog handler and put down on a court order.  Not the kind of breed you would expect to savage humans that they tend to see as their "masters", is it?  Not really the type of breed that is kept by thuggish or irresponsible owners either.  Just rogue dogs on the prowl I would guess.  If I hadn't been able to stay on my feet I am sure one or both of them would have torn my throat out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I love dogs, but these are too big and dangerous to be managed. If they flip that’s it, someone is in trouble, seriously injured or dead. They shouldn’t be in public areas or parks. Our kids should be safe on parks, so should we, so should other dogs.
  • I’m guessing the type of folk who breed these monstrosities aren’t in the top quartile of law-abiders in society and I would speculate that their owners aren’t either. 

I don’t think any mandatory chipping/ licensing etc etc will work as they’re probably all back-street breeders flogging the pups of these things on the dark web. This will also make prosecution for owners tricky as defining ownership could be hard to prove.
    That's not really an argument against changing the law, though. I mean...no kind of criminal is the kind to obey the law, that's kind of the point, but we still have those laws to deal with them.

Backyard breeders these days mostly advertise online, and it's very difficult to successfully breed dogs without a relatively wide gene pool, so if the numbers drop to only those people who're advertising by word of mouth (which, at this point, addresses a bigger customer base than the dark web in this country) then the problem has already been 99% solved.
    <space for hire>
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    BillDL said:
    Somebody, and maybe also others, mentioned earlier about underestimating the damage that any dog of an appreciable size is capable of inflicting.  .................  If I hadn't been able to stay on my feet I am sure one or both of them would have torn my throat out.
    So true......don't underestimate any dog,
    As a kid of 12 years old I was playing on my bike in the park when a smallish dog attacked me.....it was a small mongrel Collie type cross the size of a Spaniel . It pulled me off my bike as I tried to cycle away and attacked me ; it bit me about 10 times ;amongst the worst bites were a torn hole in the back of my thigh almost big enough to put a golf ball in , 2 fingers shredded to the bone and small chunk out of my calf .
     You would never think it could do anything more than a nasty nip.
    Nothing compared to the devastation a Fighting type dog could do.
    I totally agree that it's about the owner and not the dog ; I totally agree with those who stand on this argument because it is a fact  BUT  that isn't a gold ticket guarantee ......that's 97% of the time .Some things like ;
    Certain medications , tools ,Exotic Pets etc  etc are banned (or very rigidly controlled ) lest they fall into the wrong hands or are misused and concensus is that this is a very reasonable precaution.......it protects the public at large against that 3% margin for error .I don't see what is any different here .
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5128
    Surely all dogs should be banned, and people can have pet ocelots instead. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Your latest distraction. There's massive murderous dogs everywhere. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33957
    I’m guessing the type of folk who breed these monstrosities aren’t in the top quartile of law-abiders in society and I would speculate that their owners aren’t either. 

That's not really an argument against changing the law, though. I mean...no kind of criminal is the kind to obey the law, that's kind of the point, but we still have those laws to deal with them.

Backyard breeders these days mostly advertise online, and it's very difficult to successfully breed dogs without a relatively wide gene pool, so if the numbers drop to only those people who're advertising by word of mouth (which, at this point, addresses a bigger customer base than the dark web in this country) then the problem has already been 99% solved.
    Agree.

It will never happen but I wouldn't be against mandatory training for dog owners with the ability to disqualify people who are deemed unsuitable for ownership, as with driving, gun ownership etc.
    But given police aren't turning up to actual crimes at the moment it is a pipe dream.

I have owned large breeds- Bulldog, Boxer/American Bulldog cross and currently have a Bernese Mountain Dog (Holly).
    The latter is a total sweetheart. She is still a big dog with the ability to cause actual harm in the wrong circumstances.

One day my wife was walking her off lead in the woods (we live in rural Oxon) and Holly turned and ran at a chicken that had got out of its pen.
    She picked it up in her mouth and injured it so much that it had to be killed- she didn't do this intentionally, she is just a big dog with big teefs. She was young at the time and was just 'playing'.

Janet was mortified and we compensated the owner but you just have to be aware of what a dog can do and what they are designed to do, really.
    Never alone with children, never off leash in places where it could be a problem.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    Reverend said:
    Surely all dogs should be banned, and people can have pet ocelots instead. 
    I had a neighbour years ago who had 2 Servals and Capuccin Monkeys ( the monkeys were really nasty things )
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2439
    I've never had a dog.

Greyhounds that race in the UK have tattooed ears.

Dogs in Denmark have to have tattooed ears or a microchip, be registered by 8 weeks old and the owners must have dog liability insurance.

They also have banned breeds.

A Danish fella I worked with, his missus was a postie in rural Jutland.  Dog bite meant you had to get a rabies jab and he said that was not pleasant.

Can't see the point of an XL Bully, can't see why they should be allowed.
  • 1500 kids are killed per year on UK roads, 99 under 25s killed with knifes in a 12 month period leading up to march 22. The mean number of deaths per year by dogs, in the last twenty years is under 4. I appreciate it's a complex issue with no clear immediate solution given all the posts here.

The media tend to amplify things in such a way it takes over national news narratives. I'm weary of the cost-benefit of the attention and resource dedicated to this issue in the middle of X number of issues plaguing the country simultaneously.

Let's say we get rid of all 10 million UK dogs - what's the impact?
  • danishbacon said:
    You can walk in a park in bare feet? 
    But seriously what's the point of making up a number like 10 million? The real number of terror dogs is a thousandth of that.

As a kid we had a boxer, lovely dog, one day the milkman's boy assistant came in for payment. The dog was always removed from the kitchen for that but this day it went wrong and my god he went for this lad leaping at him, jumping up, barking and snapping teeth.
    Thank god the boy had worked in a kennels and knew the thing to do was stand stock still, hands tight by his side. I doubt that would work with these obnoxious breeds.
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 297
    1500 kids are killed per year on UK roads, 99 under 25s killed with knifes in a 12 month period leading up to march 22. The mean number of deaths per year by dogs, in the last twenty years is under 4. I appreciate it's a complex issue with no clear immediate solution given all the posts here.

The media tend to amplify things in such a way it takes over national news narratives. I'm weary of the cost-benefit of the attention and resource dedicated to this issue in the middle of X number of issues plaguing the country simultaneously.

Broadly agree with this, but when you live on a street where neighbours have several of these dogs, untrained and beyond their physical capacity to control, the overall stats aren't very comforting when you're out with your primary-aged child and 8kg cockapoo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom