Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

XL Bully Dogs.........

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5128
    1500 kids are killed per year on UK roads, 99 under 25s killed with knifes in a 12 month period leading up to march 22. The mean number of deaths per year by dogs, in the last twenty years is under 4. I appreciate it's a complex issue with no clear immediate solution given all the posts here.

The media tend to amplify things in such a way it takes over national news narratives. I'm weary of the cost-benefit of the attention and resource dedicated to this issue in the middle of X number of issues plaguing the country simultaneously.

Let's say we get rid of all 10 million UK dogs - what's the impact?
    the ocelot industry gets a massive boost, for oen. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1626
    edited September 2023
    1500 kids are killed per year on UK roads, 99 under 25s killed with knifes in a 12 month period leading up to march 22. The mean number of deaths per year by dogs, in the last twenty years is under 4. I appreciate it's a complex issue with no clear immediate solution given all the posts here.

The media tend to amplify things in such a way it takes over national news narratives. I'm weary of the cost-benefit of the attention and resource dedicated to this issue in the middle of X number of issues plaguing the country simultaneously.

Under 4. But there were ten last year. Five this year so far. In the last three years 75% of the deaths recorded were the result of an American Bully 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:

I’m fairly sure the cat you’ve made friends with recently isn’t an Ocelot.  

You need a licence for an Ocelot so might as well go the full hog and get a Lion - which are also legal to own with the correct licence.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    edited September 2023
    barnstorm said:
    Genuine question. Whatever happened to bans on the systematic physical mutilation of dogs for fashion purposes?
    A lot of photos I have been able to find relating to the 'breed', involves dogs with cut/trimmed ears.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66775985
    Still legal to import them with the procedure already performed, sadly. But also, and indeed mainly: the bastards who breed them don't give a shit about the law.

The common excuse given by owners when questioned on this by vets is that it was already done when they got it.   Many will claim its a rescue dog, and they saved it in that condition.  Some will occasionally claim there was another issue that meant it had to be done for the good of the dog.

It's harder to make any of those claims when they take it in because its freshly chopped ears are bleeding, but some will.  Amazingly, my wife had one owner try this after they have just phoned round every vet trying to find one that would do it for them, and kicking off at every single one for refusing.  They decided to do it themselves.

Edit.   Obviously a lot of these sort of breed do end up in rescue, so not all such claims are false..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19351
    WezV said:
    barnstorm said:
    Genuine question. Whatever happened to bans on the systematic physical mutilation of dogs for fashion purposes?
    A lot of photos I have been able to find relating to the 'breed', involves dogs with cut/trimmed ears.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66775985
    Still legal to import them with the procedure already performed, sadly. But also, and indeed mainly: the bastards who breed them don't give a shit about the law.

The common excuse given by owners when questioned on this by vets is that it was already done when they got it.   Many will claim its a rescue dog, and they saved it in that condition.  Some will occasionally claim there was another issue that meant it had to be done for the good of the dog.

It's harder to make any of those claims when they take it in because its freshly chopped ears are bleeding, but some will.  Amazingly, my wife had one owner try this after they have just phoned round every vet trying to find one that would so it for them, and kicking off at every single one for refusing.  They decided to do it themselves.

FFS... that catastrophic asteroid wipeout I was once worried about, is now looking fine by me if the alternative is having to share a planet with bastards capable of such actions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1555
    Unfortunately they live amongst us.
  • 1500 kids are killed per year on UK roads, 99 under 25s killed with knifes in a 12 month period leading up to march 22. The mean number of deaths per year by dogs, in the last twenty years is under 4. I appreciate it's a complex issue with no clear immediate solution given all the posts here.

The thread is specifically about the American Bully XL.   The media are mainly focused on that breed also, which shows statistically a disproportionate amount of attacks on people with disproportionately negative outcomes.

Since it’s introduction to the uk around 2015, and big increase in popularity during lockdown, there has been a spike in the number of dog attacks, heavily increased by this breed.

The mean number of deaths being 4 is not statistically interesting, it’s the jump to double figures in the last few years is.

I think more people buying dogs in lockdown didn’t help, but neither did the introduction of this breed.

Do we really need this breed in the UK?
    It’s not the biggest danger most people face on a day to day basis, but it’s an unnecessary one some people in their vicinity do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1419
    edited September 2023
    The problem is nearly always the owner. Start there. Maybe cull the owners.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    That would be an added bonus
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited September 2023
    Okay this is a strange coincidence but there's a guy, seperate from the little woman who now has three of them, who also has two of these dogs and he takes them for a walk around 10pm every night and lets them off their leash. He's now walking round the estate with one dog shouting for the second dog because he's lost it. He's going FFS FAM, FUCKING DOGS, WHERE ARE YA FUCKING DOG.

You let it off the lead you moron???

I say all dog owners should be licenced, and if you're obviously a twat like this guy you can't have one and this kind of breed should be limited to whatever they're meant to be used for. Hunting T Rex's or whatever. 
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1645

Banning a breed or type of dog will never change the situation, they will just move onto a different breed or type. It was Rotties, it was Dobermen, It was Staffies  before the XL Bully 

Meh.. those mutts are only a gateway pet for proper 'ardlads ..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Okay this is a strange coincidence but there's a guy, seperate from the little woman who now has three of them, who also has two of these dogs and he takes them for a walk around 10pm every night and lets them off their leash. He's now walking round the estate with one dog shouting for the second dog because he's lost it. He's going FFS FAM, FUCKING DOGS, WHERE ARE YA FUCKING DOG.

I say all dog owners should be licenced, and if you're obviously a twat like this guy you can't have one and this kind of breed should be limited to whatever they're meant to be used for. Hunting T Rex's or whatever. 
    Not advocating cruelty to dogs, but I'd be feeling tempted to wait until the muppet was walking his dogs & then pulling a 'Trainspotting' Sickboy with an airgun scenario ...
  • Perhaps owners should take absolute responsibility for the actions of their dogs, and if the dog does something that would be a criminal offence if a human did it, then that's what they should be charged with: Littering, criminal damage, animal cruelty, GBH, attempted murder and so forth. 
    Perhaps owners should take absolute responsibility for the actions of their dogs, and if the dog does something that would be a criminal offence if a human did it, then that's what they should be charged with: Littering, criminal damage, animal cruelty, GBH, attempted murder and so forth. 
    I'm not so sure about that.........
     I caught one of my Dachshunds on the dark web organising a Neo-Fascist Subversive group ;it was shameful ;
     Hate speech about Foxes , planned attacks on Badger Dens and a terrible intolerance of Gender Neutered Dogs .
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    AK99 said:

Banning a breed or type of dog will never change the situation, they will just move onto a different breed or type. It was Rotties, it was Dobermen, It was Staffies  before the XL Bully 

Meh.. those mutts are only a gateway pet for proper 'ardlads ..

I think that's pretty much only Peckham and Catford
  • What's the problem, the hyenas are muzzled? ;)
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5128
    RobDavies said:
    Reverend said:

I’m fairly sure the cat you’ve made friends with recently isn’t an Ocelot.  

You need a licence for an Ocelot so might as well go the full hog and get a Lion - which are also legal to own with the correct licence.  
    she is more of an ocelittle
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387

Not advocating cruelty to dogs, but I'd be feeling tempted to wait until the muppet was walking his dogs & then pulling a 'Trainspotting' Sickboy with an airgun scenario ...
    Often we have these idiots on the estate and they eventually move on because their anti social behaviour leads to them being kicked out. I have to say I am genuinely threatened by all these huge, muscular dogs running loose around our roads, with owners who can't control them, or appear to be of low intelligence and/or moral integrity. I have a young child, he wants to play out and then there's a huge dog in the playground. I just won't take him down there now, it's not safe. 

My wife was hanging some washing out the other day and my son is playing in the play area next to the lines, and this Bully comes bounding round the corner into the play area, and my wife drops the shopping and calmly takes my son back towards the building. The owner comes round the corner shouting IT'S OKAY HE'S HARMLESS HONESTLY. Is it though? And if you were a responsible owner you'd know that this is not okay. 

It's a real issue because it seems that the only people who want these dogs are people who have no business being dog owners. So the only option is to ban them, or make it very difficult for people to have dogs like this and make punishment for non licenced ownership very severe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1645
    What's the problem, the hyenas are muzzled? ;)
    Those are licensed ones - part of the Security Patrol service. Clearly not on duty yet..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    AK99 said:
    What's the problem, the hyenas are muzzled? ;)
    Those are licensed ones - part of the Security Patrol service. Clearly not on duty yet..
    I thought it was because they were having a laugh...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom