Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone just gone all-in on one guitar model/type?

What's Hot
Jay100Jay100 Frets: 42
edited September 2023 in Guitar
So, as per the title - I’m interested if anyone just settled on one guitar type/model and that’s enough for them? 

I have 2 Les Paul’s (an ebony Custom and 60s Standard) as well as an Am Pro 2 Strat and Tele.

These cover all core tonal bases but seldom do I pick up the Fenders. They play well, sound good, and have their respective characteristics, but they’ve never felt like ‘home’ to me.

I am a Les Paul player at heart and often think of selling the Fenders and picking up another LP with P90s. It wouldn’t cover the same tones or evoke the same styles of play, but the Fenders could go tomorrow and for my needs I don’t think I’d miss them too much.

It wouldn’t be selling for financial sake, more for simplicity with a focus on mastering the one type, rather than multiple.

Although I doubt I actually would, the one-guitar-for-me idea is quite romantic and it got me thinking. Could be said for a lot of the all-time greats too I suppose, at least for the most part?

So, anyone out there a one-and-done type, or is variety the spice of life?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19541
    Six string for me.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3971
    Definitely. 

Telecaster. US. Ash, light in weight. Covers all my bases. I play punk, rock, surf. Only at home. I’m a very happy man with what I’ve got.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 153
    I think I spent maybe 10 years settled on one guitar type. It was my Yamaha Pacifica 812W. Fantastic neck and great tones. It covered everything I needed and more and I was very happy with it as a jack of all trades, and possibly master of none. Part of me also loved the lack of attention it received from other players. Essentially looked at as a beginners guitar as visually it was the same to look at as the 012. Then a bout of GAS hit. 
  • Ahem…..

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8864
    For me there are two different answers. In general variety is the spice of life. Being able to experience different types of guitar, different pickups, neck profiles, fretboard radii, materials etc is important. If I don’t then how do I know what I like, and that my tastes haven’t changed over time. 

However, when it comes to performing I want to minimise the workload. I also want to minimise the risk of me doing something wrong, like selecting the wrong pickup in the heat of the moment. This means one guitar which can cover the whole setlist. I obviously take a backup in case of string breakage or other failure, but it will be similar to the first.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • grungebob said:
    Ahem…..

Wow, even the same colour! Different picks up in them, or is that an A and B rig?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7935

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    5reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    A Les Paul just is the guitar as far as I'm concerned...

I know it's a bit narrow minded but all the players I aspired to earlier in life played them and the music I enjoy is all Les Paul based. I have four in various guises.

I keep it fresh with a Midtown, but that is basically a hollow body Les Paul...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3392
    edited September 2023
    Jay100 said:
    grungebob said:
    Ahem…..

Wow, even the same colour! Different picks up in them, or is that an A and B rig?
    Left one is stock pickups the right one will be getting a humbucker and filtertron mix. 
    I’ve been playing 29 years now and I’ve owned just over 200 guitars in that time , all makes and models (except a rickenbacker) at all price points. These SE silver skys are about as good as it gets for me.  The tone, the weight, the playability I couldn’t ask for anything more perfect for me. This is my neck shape. 

I should add I’m not a Mayer fan but green is my favourite colour 
  • Pete.RPete.R Frets: 469
    edited September 2023
    Just one....................

.....colour

4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat. It’s insufficient in so many ways and needs a leg up from pedals from time to time but it’s home to me. 
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 970
    Yes. Recently picked up a used Aurora BFGT. Very light, great build quality, extremely comfortable to play, quick change pickup system, not played anything else since it arrived.
    https://i.imgur.com/KXraDtg.jpg
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Strat. 
    Does everything I need it to do.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23841
    ^ @Grampa wow, I've never seen one of those before.  Looks great.  How does the pickup selection (as opposed to the pickup swapping system) work?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23841
    To answer the OP's question, I have a lot of mahogany, set-neck guitars with two pickups, I'd probably settle for that type, although I do have Strats and Teles too.
  • I haven't but I have 3 superstrats and 4 strats. So if I was forced to narrow down to one guitar it would be a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge.

This would pretty much sum it up for me. 
  • I only have one guitar these days. 

I've been through far too many, but honestly within about twenty minutes of playing this one I knew it was the last guitar I'd ever buy. All the others have gone now. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 970
    Philly_Q said:
    ^ @Grampa wow, I've never seen one of those before.  Looks great.  How does the pickup selection (as opposed to the pickup swapping system) work?
    Hi @Philly_Q ; No switching between pickups as such, just volume controls for bridge and neck together with a single tone control. Took a little while to get used to but works extremely well and soon becomes second nature.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3535
    After 10+ years of playing, buying, and trading guitars, there are a few specs that seem a pre-requisite for me to enjoy a guitar. 24 big frets, flat radius (16" minimum), both bridge and neck pickup whatever type, and a bridge that has individual string adjustments so no TOM's, no Floyd's. That doesn't leave a lot to choose from.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19541
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    New one on me too. Very Hamer-escue.
    https://www.creamtcustomshop.com/collections/aurora-bfgt-1