Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone just gone all-in on one guitar model/type?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4410
    I wouldn't say it's the result of any conscious decision but it turns out that all my electrics are strat shaped. Quite a lot of variety within that though, only two are the standard strat format, and the others are one with a scalloped neck, one H/S with a Floyd and one H/H with a Floyd. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    edited September 2023
    Just the one SG for me, fits me well and plays/sounds great. Wouldn't mind another with P90 for when I want more singlecoily tones, ideally an aged white Junior!
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 268
    I’ve been through a lot of guitars over the years.  But my Gibson aged 59 reissue is the one.  That’s all I play these days.  It covers all the sounds I like and is my favourite to play also.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    Strat, Tele and Jag for me, I have a single Cut  retro Silvertone for dirty fuzzy slide stuff but Fender style single coils for me. I wish I could play SG's Must have owned 10 over the years but just not for me.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • 1970s much experimentation, 80s nothing but teles for gigs but collected Hofners, 90s Strat obsession commenced, 00s custom shop strats, 10s strats still until about 2015 - Gretsch, starting with prolines but ending up with a series of 5420s and a 5410. So… always something but it changed
  • ICBM said:

I only have one guitar these days. 

I've been through far too many, but honestly within about twenty minutes of playing this one I knew it was the last guitar I'd ever buy. All the others have gone now. 
    Out of interest, what is it?

I know it’s not the 381 ;).

At one point I did consider that as my only guitar, but it doesn’t have a vibrato…

PRS Core Starla. Looks like this, except mine has locking tuners which I suspect arent original. 

https://b-west.net/eguitar/paul-reed-smithprs-starla-core-model-vintage-cherry/

I loved the 381 but it was too physically big for me really :( 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    For music production it pays to have variety

For practicing or performing you only need one, and ideally a near-identical backup in case you break a string 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 567
    My main guitar is a Suhr Standard with H/S/S set up it covers a lot sounds. 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 921
    It`s strats for me - bought an original HW1 in 2005, quickly added a bridge humbucker, and that`s what it`s been since.

I do buy other guitars, not play them then sell them at a loss - you know the story........

Played the same modded HW1 strat for many years, then finally picked up a CS HSS guitar a while ago and that is now the main one. Only take a 2nd guitar to gigs if we have songs in standard and Eb, and genuinely would be happy with only one going forward.  
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    edited February 25
    HSS Superstrats for me although my SE DGT and past DGTs have been very good. However, at the moment, I can't put down my PRS Fiore, which falls into the Superstrat camp. It's a great all-rounder and workhorse
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2528
    I could easily live with just my Telecaster. It needs pedals for anything more than a light crunch on the bridge pickup, but the feel, playability, note attack etc just works for me. Funny I don't like Strats nearly as much, though on paper they're an improvement.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4824
    Roland said:
    For me there are two different answers. In general variety is the spice of life. Being able to experience different types of guitar, different pickups, neck profiles, fretboard radii, materials etc is important. If I don’t then how do I know what I like, and that my tastes haven’t changed over time. 

However, when it comes to performing I want to minimise the workload. I also want to minimise the risk of me doing something wrong, like selecting the wrong pickup in the heat of the moment. This means one guitar which can cover the whole setlist. I obviously take a backup in case of string breakage or other failure, but it will be similar to the first.
    For gigging, exactly this for me too. My main gigging guitar is my PRS Cu24, and my back up is my Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro hardtail, and if I should need trem my alternative back up is my Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM.  Common theme is the ability to cover humbucker and single coil tones, and playing mainly covers I need both. 

Having said that, nothing sounds or feels exactly like a Les Paul, Strat or Tele and I love all of these for different reasons. I just can't carry them all and cope with guitar changes at a gig.  Hence the need for all in one solutions live. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3073
    Pete.R said:
    Just one....................

.....colour

I'm contemplating going all-in on Gold guitars.

Currently have:
    • Yamaha SA-2000S (refinished in Gold)
    • Gibson LP-295 Goldtop
    • PRS DGT SE, Goldtop
    • Golden Era Jazzmaster partscaster, Gold
    I have quite a few others though, so I've got quite a way to go.

I could easily get a respray on my Strat partscaster, and MIJ Telecaster, and could swap my Wine Red Yamaha SG3000 for a Gold one. Most of the rest would be more effort.

As you can see, my answer to the original question is "no"!