U2 at the Sphere. Future of live shows?

What's Hot
AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
edited October 2023 in Music
Just been watching some videos of U2s first couple of shows at the Sphere, a new venue in Las Vegas. There is a smallish GA area which fits about 1500 people then the rest are seats laid out in a very steep formation right to the back of the venue. The screen itself fills most of the inside of the arena, curving up over the audience. Some very impressive visuals, like IMAX but turned up to 11. The technology involved must be insane.  It is the anniversary of the ZooTV and Zooropa era so the setlist is very much based around that period.

I read that there are 6000 speakers dotted around too. Reports are that the sound is crisp and clear without being fatiguing. The clips, probably recorded on phones sound very good.

The question is - is this the future? Will the traditional stadium show be enough anymore? 

Here's a clip of With or Without You. Wait or skip to 2:30.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Watched some clips earlier, and whilst it all looks amazing and is no doubt the future (for larger acts, obvs) it doesn't make up for what I consider to be a duff setlist (YMMV) and a band with a singer who is long past his best.

And I am a fan, I should add. I loved the last two albums (yes, there had to be one of us!) but the visuals should enhance an amazing show, not take a so-so one up a notch.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    I'd rather see the band than those weird visuals, but the sound-quality bit is promising. Would be nice if that caught on, but most fans of arena-filling acts don't seem to be very discriminating. People seem happy to pay hundreds for a ticket just to say they were there and to come away with a few videos on their phone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27004
    edited October 2023
    I watched a lot of the set last night. 

It's obvious gorgeous but I actually feel like the visuals - at least via YouTube - take away from the live performance so you end up watching the screens and not the band. It's also worth noting that these are super high-profile shows and their first since Mumbai in 2019, so it's likely it will develop and get better ver the run, just as their very best (ZoTV, Popmart and Elevation) did.

I also note this is their first live run without some sort of in-crowd catwalk since 1989. That's actually astonishing, and I wonder if that will hurt the feel of the shows; obviously the visuals are at centre stage, so to speak, but I hope the show itself in terms of connection between band and crowd will suffer because they basically invented that shit.

As for whether it's the future of live music? It'll certainly be the future of some live music, but as there's currently only one of these in the world and only a handful of acts that could draw a big enough crowd to pay for the residency required to cover the costs of creating the show, it's not the future of live shows. 

That said, if someone were to get me a ticket (or for a similar show by Radiohead, or Bon Iver, or Sigur Ros) I'd be on the next flight. 

It's worth watching a few videos to get an idea of what's possible. I *loved* the intro with Bono picking up the Fly shades (first vid below) but that's because of that moment in context of the band's history, and nothing to do with the Sphere. And a lot of the visuals feel like a more immersive extension of what was already done on the JT2019 tour (not a complaint, just an observation). I'm hopeful of a full Achtung-30 tour next year and I'll spend a lot of money to get there if I have to. 

And lastly, a word for Bram van Der Berg who sounds absolutely perfect on drums. Many will retort that Larry's playing is not that difficult, and while that's technically true I've rarely heard a U2 cover where the drums actually felt right. 

Full intro & Zoo Station 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTVg1Qajblo

Streets - just phenomenal visuals over one of the best live experiences you'll ever have 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9JJ8sDg6w

Wild Horses - Really great version and the first time I can remember seeing Edge play the Goldtop LP on anything other than UTEOTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jai4d8phyY
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1489
    To be honest I hope not. It’s expensive and possibly quite over stimulating. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6821
    The numbers of f**kers holding their phones up rather than enjoying the event is unfortunately the future…….
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • The venue is amazing. Bit it does seem a little steep. Some of views I've seen are so high yet so close. At least in a stadium at that height you'd still be somewhat in line with the band. 

• @stickyfiddle Good call about the drummer.
    At first I was thinking, “Hang on, I thought Larry wasn’t…..” before I twigged.

Larry’s playing is not technically difficult in a showy way, but it’s so unique to him that it’s not as easy to replicate as detractors would like to think.

I’m not always a fan if what he does but, come on…Bullet..? Sunday Bloody Sunday? Zoo Station?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    I miss seeing amps and pedalboards on loud stages and seeing a guitarist reacting to the amp volume, feedback etc. I"m not sure how much I would have enjoyed seeing this show, or any of a range of other big name artists to be honest.

• The future will be virtual reality. 
  • Incredible. Seeing how Dave dealt with a snapped string in WOWY as well. Great to see.  
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    edited October 2023
    The venue is definitely futuristic and it's an interesting thing, but I doubt it will be the "future of live shows". Expanding on what @stickyfiddle already points out... 

First, it cost like 2 billion dollars to build the Sphere - must be the most expensive gig venue ever. I can imagine not many cities would be able to support that - can envision London, NYC, Tokyo, Paris, maybe Sydney being able to have one, but 

Second, making the visuals for it must be some sort of custom process that not just anyone can do... and thus it will be expensive, and thus only the top-tier bands are going to be able to afford it. Seeing a smaller indie band in that venue with "stock footage" "Sphere demo clips" running behind them would not be the same thing... and financially it will only make sense for residency. If you're touring all over, it wouldn't make good financial sense to build custom visuals just for the one or two shows you might be booked to play there while you're moving through Vegas.

Third, all the top tier bands are going to be gone in 10-15 years tops. There probably aren't enough "up and comers" to take their place, so these residencies may in themselves dwindle... will the general public want to watch top tier cover bands like the Australian Pink Floyd Show at a venue like that? Maybe a digital show like the ABBA thing? That may be the sort of thing the Sphere ends up doing on a quasi-regular basis...

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I'd say Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran will still be able to pack it out a decade or two from now
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    roberty said:
    I'd say Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran will still be able to pack it out a decade or two from now
    For sure. Probably Muse and Coldplay too. But more stadium-filling heritage acts will vanish in the meantime...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27004
    edited October 2023
    Muse would be a good one. Not sure if they're big enough in the US (I know they tour there but genuinely no idea of the scale)

On the subject of cost, it is worth noting the mooted 2bn is the cost of inventing & developing the tech, as well as construction itself. They're planning on building them in other cities - London for sure, I know Dubai or Abu Dhabi has been mentioned. That would ease the economics a lot I'd guess. The cost of transporting the show between different Spheres may not actually be that mental, given the option of minimal staging and most of the flashy stuff done in software
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • That would probably have been my all time top gig if Bono had the pipes of 25 years ago.  The visuals are unbelievable and really suit the cinematic feel of The Joshua Tree songs especially.  I can't think of many other current rock bands whose music would pair so well with the setting though other than possibly Radiohead as sticky mentioned.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Hope not. Give me a wee dive where you get up close and personal with the band any day over something like that. Might as well just go the whole hog and virtualise the performance as with the Abba experience, if that's now the direction of travel for arena concerts. I'm not dismissing this as an enjoyable form of entertainment, just not live music performance entertainment.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited October 2023
    Personally, I'd rather just watch a good gig without all the lights and set etc. I appreciate that has been U2s thing for 30+ years, so it makes sense for them. Doubt there are too many who would be able to afford this. Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, Metallica maybe. I am surprised Metallica didn't do it. No doubt it would suit someone like Iron Maiden as well with their theatrics?
    But I am done with arena gigs. Never again. Small to medium size for me from now on. Up (reasonably) close and personal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not sure it's Maiden's thing. They go for more physical theatrics than stuff on screens. They have a bigger stage set anyway, for Bruce to run around. 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Very impressive, but the band look lost on that tiny stage with the big screen behind and the sound seems too refined, shows up Bonos weakened voice and seems to lack the raw edge of a live performance. Judgement made purely on mobile phone audio obviously, may be a lot different in the room.

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Been watching some clips and it does look amazing. The ‘Streets’ vista looks mesmerising, and the Fly roof effect thing is so cool. But I do agree, from looking at the videos, the band look lost. I’ve always loved how they integrated themselves into their sets in the past. More recently they seem more separate from the visuals. Joshua Tree anniversary tour had a massive screen as well but their bare, amp-less stage was really underwhelming. 
    Achtung Baby is my favourite of their albums and the Zoo Tv tour will always be the gig I wish I’d been at. 
    Time to crack out my old Zoo TV Sydney concert VHS