U2 at the Sphere. Future of live shows?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    RobDavies said:
    Things have come a long way since my feet used to stick to the floor at The Marquee in Wardour street.

Yeah, but have they improved?  I think not.  Most of the best gigs I ever saw were in there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2289
    The future will be virtual reality. 
    I think I'd prefer virtual reality gig over a cgi assault on the senses that this seems to be. 

I'm not a fan of stadiums and giant screens. I'd still rather go and see a great band in a smaller venue where I can see the actual band not a TV screen and with the volume up so that the bass drum thumps me in the guts and the snare drum takes my head off.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Philly_Q said:
    RobDavies said:
    Things have come a long way since my feet used to stick to the floor at The Marquee in Wardour street.

Yeah, but have they improved?  I think not.  Most of the best gigs I ever saw were in there.
    I agree wholeheartedly.  Maybe not The Marquee itself, but certainly venues like it.   Just this week I’ve seen some cracking shows at The Arch in Brighton and The Joiners in Southampton. 
  • I've just listened to a press conference by UFC head honcho Dana White - who said he'd been blown away by the U2 Sphere show and that he'd approached the venue to host a high profile fight card. 

I am not sure how much weight should be attached to Mr White's opinion on matters musical - but he does have some experience of putting on big events in the worlds premiere venues - he certainly seemed very impressed by the possibilities of the Sphere and was very excited about the prospect of putting on a UFC card there. 

Maybe it's not even relevant. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    At least they are playing live. The Times reports today that Madonna’s latest tour has backing tracks. No live band. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • rsvmark said:
    At least they are playing live. The Times reports today that Madonna’s latest tour has backing tracks. No live band. 
    Yeah, I read that, too…On the one hand, I find it really sad but then again, is Madonna really about the live band experience? No. 

So, it’s not for me but she won’t be losing any sleep over that!

• Well, my brother and his girlfriend surprised us all yesterday by sending us photos of their wedding in Vegas - we had no idea they were even on holiday.

My new sister-in-law was GIVEN tickets to see U2 at The Sphere as a wedding gift from a client (she’s a graphic designer) while they were there.

So today I’ve been grilling my brother about a concert-of-a-lifetime by a band I’ve loved for over 30 years and who he’s never liked! 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom