U2 at the Sphere. Future of live shows?

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    This is the one I reached for, great energy and possibly my fav Les Paul tone.

https://youtu.be/ejJdfkFjKCA?si=JFvQypgKbeIdMsPb
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    edited October 2023
    Odd to see Bono without the extending stage, helooks a bit lost, In fact they’re all quite insignificant seen against the backdrop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    Odd to see Bono without the extending stage, helooks a bit lost, In fact they’re all quite insignificant seen against the backdrop.
    I feel what's lacking is a real physical interesting stage set that can blend into the visuals from the screen. One could imagine ramps and platforms that interact with what's going on behind. 

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Bono's voice is sounding more like M.E.Smith as the years go by, maybe this is a deliberate homage to the great front man.  ;)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11705
    mrkb said:
    The numbers of f**kers holding their phones up rather than enjoying the event is unfortunately the future…….
    It's been the present for a long time I'm afraid :-(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22861
    JezWynd said:
    I feel what's lacking is a real physical interesting stage set that can blend into the visuals from the screen. One could imagine ramps and platforms that interact with what's going on behind. 
    I only watched part of one of the videos and I don't fully understand... is a small featureless stage area an inherent part of the system?  Couldn't they have a normal stage set and also use the big screens, banked seating etc?
  • For something which on paper seems to have huge potential for a really different and immersive experience, I have to say the videos look pretty dull to me and the band seem to just be at the bottom mostly in darkness so in theory could just be a tribute act? The Streets Have No Name one was particularly dull, fair play to U2 for giving it a go but I have to say I feel like it needs a lot more creative input to make it interesting
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    JezWynd said:
    I only watched part of one of the videos and I don't fully understand... is a small featureless stage area an inherent part of the system?  Couldn't they have a normal stage set and also use the big screens, banked seating etc?
    I think a bigger stage is possible. 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    For something which on paper seems to have huge potential for a really different and immersive experience, I have to say the videos look pretty dull to me and the band seem to just be at the bottom mostly in darkness so in theory could just be a tribute act? The Streets Have No Name one was particularly dull, fair play to U2 for giving it a go but I have to say I feel like it needs a lot more creative input to make it interesting
    My thoughts 100%
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    For something which on paper seems to have huge potential for a really different and immersive experience, I have to say the videos look pretty dull to me and the band seem to just be at the bottom mostly in darkness so in theory could just be a tribute act? The Streets Have No Name one was particularly dull, fair play to U2 for giving it a go but I have to say I feel like it needs a lot more creative input to make it interesting
    Honestly part of it is probably also the nature of the thing as a static show that's extremely expensive. 

The standing section looks relatively small and sparsely-populated. I've seen U2 a couple of times and I've watched just about every live video on YouTube and the moment Streets takes flight in most shows is one of the most electric, soul-affirming things you can imagine. But tickets for this are extortionate and it's in a frankly quite weird location that a lot of people can't get to.  

Maybe it's just age - at those prices I can't imagine there are many young's in the crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPDtSUz8_TE
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    Streets.....sounds like poor Bono has been possessed by the voice of Jon Bon Jovi.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 638
    The advertising on the outside of the sphere is the money maker: $650,000 a week.
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    I think it's just  a gimmick and will probably go the same way as 3D movies.

[This space for rent]

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    This sounds a bit better than the other clips to be fair, but the huge screen is less important.

https://youtu.be/NmuGrNWUebg?si=1p1gR_64315V51Tp

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    Listening to a few interviews, it seems that they took the chance to be the first group to play at this new sphere but they are planning to do a normal tour after a set number of shows.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    And just to add, Achtung Baby is BY FAR their best album and era. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    Full gig (multicam).

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Things have come a long way since my feet used to stick to the floor at The Marquee in Wardour street.

Purely my opinion but a place like this is akin to the new modern stadiums in England.... Tottenham, West Ham, Arsenal..... incredible structures and impressive architecture but terrible places to watch football and to actually feel like you're part of the game is nigh on impossible.

I suppose I'd like to experience it once - just to see what it's all about but I'm not sure that I feel strongly enough about any band who would actually be big enough to play somewhere like The Sphere?
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    looks like a computer game

• RobDavies said:
    Things have come a long way since my feet used to stick to the floor at The Marquee in Wardour street.

Purely my opinion but a place like this is akin to the new modern stadiums in England.... Tottenham, West Ham, Arsenal..... incredible structures and impressive architecture but terrible places to watch football and to actually feel like you're part of the game is nigh on impossible.

I suppose I'd like to experience it once - just to see what it's all about but I'm not sure that I feel strongly enough about any band who would actually be big enough to play somewhere like The Sphere?
    Same here, can't think of many. Radiohead for me maybe. Their visuals have always been good so it would work. Just not sure about the actual band! Thom would probably have a wobbly.