Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quite an insightful quote from Jools Holland in Guardian interview about Later...

What's Hot
CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1338
buried away halfway thru was this gem:

"The music is why it’s endured. I’m just the glue that holds it together and it’s allowed me to see the greats closeup. They all share a powerful, decisive way of playing. Even Paul Simon, who you wouldn’t consider noisy, gets a huge sound when he strums his guitar."
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BodBod Frets: 1301
    "...and now...Ruby Turner!"
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    edited October 2023
    It's gone downhill from what it used to be. Is that a reflection on modern music, or has the program become irrelevant in the grand scheme of internet things, etc? KEXP and Tiny Desk Concerts spring to mind here, as well as a raft of other online offerings.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Vintage65 said:
    It's gone downhill from what it used to be. 
    How do you assess “downhill”. I’m not saying that it hasn’t changed, but what is “down” in your opinion?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    edited October 2023
    Roland said:
    Vintage65 said:
    It's gone downhill from what it used to be. 
    How do you assess “downhill”. I’m not saying that it hasn’t changed, but what is “down” in your opinion?
    It used to be essential viewing, not so much now. Just have a look back in the archives and you will find a fantastic body of work.

PS is it still going?
  • Vintage65 said:
    It's gone downhill from what it used to be. Is that a reflection on modern music, or has the program become irrelevant in the grand scheme of internet things, etc? KEXP and Tiny Desk Concerts spring to mind here, as well as a raft of other online offerings.
    I suspect the online shows offer greater exposure, and a more immediate viewing audience reaction, whereas Jools seemed to mostly be a touring artists promo gig. I found it certainly became less diverse (in terms of its musical scope) over the years, and I became altogether sick of the boogie woogie. Bit of an old fashioned show now I guess. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    Vintage65 said:

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1489
    It is what it was. The difference now is that the exposure the show would give to musicians was a rarified thing. Now it’s at the tip of your fingers 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think comparing a regular series broadcast weekly when it's on, with what, 5 or 6 artists per episode, to certain specific "classic" archives footage is missing the point a bit - like how people forget the absolute dross music of the 60s and 70s because of the classics they like. There was dross on the show back then just as there is now, but in my opinion always worth watching for that special something every now and then that you wouldn't hear anywhere else
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Giving a platform for live music to a mix of huge, upcoming and quite-successful-thankyou-but-off-the-mainstream-radar on mainstream TV after the demise of the likes of Old Grey Whistle Test was like a breath of fresh air, and I have enjoyed many great moments over the years. Thank you, Jools!

I have also enjoyed hate-watching* the acts I don’t like, too.

I do find of late that I am less interested in it, but I suspect that’s  more the Simpsons meme above coming true rather than it actually dropping in quality.

His interviews have always been cringe and NO MORE RUBY TURNER, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, but I still admire the guy for what he has achieved with this show over the years.

*my term for watching stuff I know I don’t like, just so I can enjoy grumbling about it - see also: Brit Awards, Mercury Music Prize 

I think comparing a regular series broadcast weekly when it's on, with what, 5 or 6 artists per episode, to certain specific "classic" archives footage is missing the point a bit - like how people forget the absolute dross music of the 60s and 70s because of the classics they like. There was dross on the show back then just as there is now, but in my opinion always worth watching for that special something every now and then that you wouldn't hear anywhere else
    Later used to be the place where acts promoted their critically acclaimed albums. There is still excellent new music being made, but the current iteration of Later is not the best place to find it.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11761
    Vintage65 said:
    I think comparing a regular series broadcast weekly when it's on, with what, 5 or 6 artists per episode, to certain specific "classic" archives footage is missing the point a bit - like how people forget the absolute dross music of the 60s and 70s because of the classics they like. There was dross on the show back then just as there is now, but in my opinion always worth watching for that special something every now and then that you wouldn't hear anywhere else
    Later used to be the place where acts promoted their critically acclaimed albums. There is still excellent new music being made, but the current iteration of Later is not the best place to find it.
    Oh piffle.

You may not like what's on there and that's cool, that's up to you - but there are many, many acts who have been on promoting their critically acclaimed albums.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh piffle.

You may not like what's on there and that's cool, that's up to you - but there are many, many acts who have been on promoting their critically acclaimed albums.
    Can you name a few and I will take a listen.
    Vintage65 said:
    Oh piffle.

Critically acclaimed artists on Later in the last couple of series?  Can't guarantee there are any you would like but...

Series 62

Noel Gallagher (Full Episode Special)
    The Lathums
    Alison Goldfrapp
    Gaz Coombes
    Royal Blood
    Sleaford Mods

Series 61

Arctic Monkeys (Full Episode Special)
    The 1975
    Suede
    Christine and the Queens
    Hot Chip
    Bill Nomates

Series 60

Wet Leg
    Liam Gallagher
    Jessie Buckley and Bernard Butler
    Confidence Man
    Kasabian
    Kae Tempest
    Paolo Nutini
    Foals

I could go on but those were big artists pushing critically acclaimed records on the show in the last three series, all since the start of 2022.  Those are just the ones I know were pushing new records that were acclaimed, it could be a longer list.

As I said, you may not like any or all of them but that is a fairly reflective picture of current big acts who aren't just pop and outside the remit.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Vintage65 said:
    Oh piffle.

I pretty much stopped watching it because it started featuring new acts with their critically acclaimed albums, I liked it when it was old blues singers (and Paul Weller). It had artists like Otis Rush who are hardly documented on film anywhere; highly promoted acts with millions of views on YouTube were abusing that space. 
    And when it’s here’s Jools with Ruby Turner (again) it starts getting a bit Wheeltappers and Shunters. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited October 2023
    Vintage65 said:
    Oh piffle.

Critically acclaimed artists on Later in the last couple of series?  Can't guarantee there are any you would like but...

Series 62

The Lathums
    Alison Goldfrapp
    Gaz Coombes
    Royal Blood
    Sleaford Mods

Series 61

The 1975
    Suede
    Christine and the Queens
    Hot Chip
    Bill Nomates

Series 60

Wet Leg
    Liam Gallagher
    Confidence Man
    Kasabian
    Kae Tempest
    Paolo Nutini
    Foals

I could go on but those were big artists pushing critically acclaimed records on the show in the last three series, all since the start of 2022.  Those are just the ones I know were pushing new records that were acclaimed, it could be a longer list.

As I said, you may not like any or all of them but that is a fairly reflective picture of current big acts who aren't just pop and outside the remit.
    I'll give you Gaz Coombes, 1975, Suede & Wet Leg, but most of the artists who produced the best recent albums are conspicuous by their absence.
  • BodBod Frets: 1301
    I nearly didn't miss Hootenanny one year.  That was really close.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3074
    I still like it but it's all been gradually downhill for me since McAlmont and Butler in 1995.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Vintage65 said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Oh piffle.

Series 62

The Lathums
    Alison Goldfrapp
    Gaz Coombes
    Royal Blood
    Sleaford Mods

Series 61

The 1975
    Suede
    Christine and the Queens
    Hot Chip
    Bill Nomates

Series 60

Wet Leg
    Liam Gallagher
    Confidence Man
    Kasabian
    Kae Tempest
    Paolo Nutini
    Foals

I'll give you Gaz Coombes, Suede & Wet Leg, but most of the artists who produced the best recent albums are conspicuous by their absence.

That's opinion though isn't it...?

Your statement was that their used to be critically acclaimed artists on their plugging new records.  ALL of those are critically acclaimed acts plugging new records.  If they aren't the records you personally like, that's not my or the BBC's problem.  I don't like all of them, but they do all fit those definitions.

Don't get me wrong "they don't have the acts on I like any more" is a perfectly fair opinion, but I think we have proved the initial statement wasn't correct.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I still like it but it's all been gradually downhill for me since McAlmont and Butler in 1995.
    Bernard's last appearance with Jessie Buckley was very nearly as good as that.
    edited October 2023
    darthed1981 said:
    That's opinion though isn't it...?

Your statement was that their used to be critically acclaimed artists on their plugging new records.  ALL of those are critically acclaimed acts plugging new records.  If they aren't the records you personally like, that's not my or the BBC's problem.  I don't like all of them, but they do all fit those definitions.

Don't get me wrong "they don't have the acts on I like any more" is a perfectly fair opinion, but I think we have proved the initial statement wasn't correct.
    Mostly not my own opinion. I constantly seek out new music via a consensus from professional music critics and aggregated user reviews, but some of it is down to my own sleuthing. I listen to way more new music compared to the legacy stuff, so it's a never-ending voyage of discovery for me that covers a wide range of genres, which is basically everything.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom