Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quite an insightful quote from Jools Holland in Guardian interview about Later...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2289
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    New series Saturday night 10:30 BBC2
    Judging by this thread, there'll be no-one watching!
    All watching MotD instead.
    I'll be recording and skipping the Paul Weller sections ;)

And I'll be relaxing in the knowledge that it's on iPlayer, for me to watch whenever I want.  Or ignore forever.
    Surely, except for sport, nobody watches real time live tv anymore, do they? I mean, I haven't seen a TV advert in decades. I just FF through all the shit I don't want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    edited October 2023
    rze99 said:
    Surely, except for sport, nobody watches real time live tv anymore, do they? I mean, I haven't seen a TV advert in decades. I just FF through all the shit I don't want.
    If you watch on ITVX or 4OD (or whatever it's called now), you have to watch the adverts even if you're watching on catchup, it's impossible to FF them.  I think you can pay a subscription to have no adverts, but I'm not doing that.

It's the same with some of the "free with ads" content on Amazon and other streaming services, you can FF the film but not the ads.  I watched a film on some random streaming service a while ago and there were ads every 10 minutes, like clockwork, even in the middle of scenes.

I guess most people have the facility to actually record programmes then FF as much as they want, but I don't have a Sky box or any kind of hard disk recorder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Philly_Q said:
    rze99 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:
    New series Saturday night 10:30 BBC2
    Judging by this thread, there'll be no-one watching!
    All watching MotD instead.
    I'll be recording and skipping the Paul Weller sections ;)

And I'll be relaxing in the knowledge that it's on iPlayer, for me to watch whenever I want.  Or ignore forever.
    If you watch on ITVX or 4OD (or whatever it's called now), you have to watch the adverts even if you're watching on catchup, it's impossible to FF them.  I think you can pay a subscription to have no adverts, but I'm not doing that.

It's the same with some of the "free with ads" content on Amazon and other streaming services, you can FF the film but not the ads.  I watched a film on some random streaming service a while ago and there were ads every 10 minutes, like clockwork, even in the middle of scenes.

I guess most people have the facility to actually record programmes then FF as much as they want, but I don't have a Sky box or any kind of hard disk recorder.
    I don’t record anything so yes if you catch up services you are more tied into ads than live TV. If you try to FF they just bounce back to the beginning of the ads. And as we are talking about the BBC no ads anyway (and you can FF through trailers on iPlayer). 
    Something like Later I’d rather watch live in the sense that I then watch the acts that I would FF through on the iPlayer. Pleasant surprises or a knowledge base for how terrible music is nowadays. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It feels like everything is going over to a subscription model. Even Amazon will soon be charging extra for ad-free viewing. It's getting ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11713
    rze99 said:
    I have the BBC News channel on in the background while I work Mon-Fri.  On Monday we watch MM, OC and UC on BBC.

Aside from live sport, that's it.
  • I’ve never been one for watching Jules new year and weekly programs ,I find they don’t cater to the sort of music I like to listen to .  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    It feels like everything is going over to a subscription model. Even Amazon will soon be charging extra for ad-free viewing. It's getting ridiculous.
    Yeah, if they all start charging extra for ad-free I will have to think about what services to keep.  There's very little I watch on Disney+ or Paramount+, for example.  And I'm currently thinking about getting YouTube premium because they've recently become arsey about adblockers.

(Sorry, we've veered very much off topic)
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1338
    GoFish said:
    I'd like to pull pn the other thread of OP's post. @CaseOfAce noted that, per Jules, the 'big' performers all played with some force or volume. I don't doubt this is true, but how much of it was learned behaviour? By the time you get to headlining a TV extravaganza, you are confident and practised enough to really belt out your stuff - or did eg: Paul Simon always sound surprisingly loud and characterful on the guitar, even when picking?
    You can have a Wisdom for that GoFish... ;-)
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Hootenanny seems awful, even acts I like seem to turn their songs into pub knees up versions. Maybe if I was watching it as broadcast and slightly drunk I'd like it more.
    [I know it's filmed in advance. My son is in the audience of the Joe Lycett Christmas special which they filmed in June. Be interesting to see if they insert any topical references in that]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1412
    Well, talking about how TV is no good anymore is fascinating, true and timely  :)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    edited October 2023
    I think it's a matter of presentation (old v new), and there is a lot of competition on the internet.

Later with Jools vs KEXP

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2289
    Philly_Q said:
    rze99 said:

I use Sky and sometimes my laptop if the main TV is in use. I refuse to watch any adverts so I don't use anything where I can't FF. Sometimes I just mute them and use the time to go to the loo or get a glass of something 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24282
    Vintage65 said:
    darthed1981 said:
    That's opinion though isn't it...?

Your statement was that their used to be critically acclaimed artists on their plugging new records.  ALL of those are critically acclaimed acts plugging new records.  If they aren't the records you personally like, that's not my or the BBC's problem.  I don't like all of them, but they do all fit those definitions.

Don't get me wrong "they don't have the acts on I like any more" is a perfectly fair opinion, but I think we have proved the initial statement wasn't correct.
    Mostly not my own opinion. I constantly seek out new music via a consensus from professional music critics and aggregated user reviews, but some of it is down to my own sleuthing. I listen to way more new music compared to the legacy stuff, so it's a never-ending voyage of discovery for me that covers a wide range of genres, which is basically everything.
    You are really doing it wrong.

Using anything other than your own opinion for something as subjective as music is deranged folly and the worst type of unnecessary capitulation to non-existent peer pressure: A "professional" music critic is so named only because they get paid for it. There's no qualification, no CPD requirements, no regulatory board, they just get paid to have an opinion, and they keep getting paid because their employer believes they help sales numbers. Their actual job is to increase sales of the publication, not provide an actual analysis of the music.

There is literally no reason to let those opinions influence you in such a subjective subject.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28259
    Also isn't picking new music hua aggregated reviews a sure-fire way to end up listening to beige nothingness?

One of my favourite bands was described by a reviewer as having "soured all music forever". 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2023
    fretmeister said:

Using anything other than your own opinion for something as subjective as music is deranged folly and the worst type of unnecessary capitulation to non-existent peer pressure: A "professional" music critic is so named only because they get paid for it. There's no qualification, no CPD requirements, no regulatory board, they just get paid to have an opinion, and they keep getting paid because their employer believes they help sales numbers. Their actual job is to increase sales of the publication, not provide an actual analysis of the music.

There is literally no reason to let those opinions influence you in such a subjective subject.
    It's a filter to find new stuff, that's all. If 19 critics say it's great and 1 says it's crap, then I will have a listen.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    Vintage65 said:
    darthed1981 said:
    That's opinion though isn't it...?

Your statement was that their used to be critically acclaimed artists on their plugging new records.  ALL of those are critically acclaimed acts plugging new records.  If they aren't the records you personally like, that's not my or the BBC's problem.  I don't like all of them, but they do all fit those definitions.

Don't get me wrong "they don't have the acts on I like any more" is a perfectly fair opinion, but I think we have proved the initial statement wasn't correct.
    Mostly not my own opinion. I constantly seek out new music via a consensus from professional music critics and aggregated user reviews, but some of it is down to my own sleuthing. I listen to way more new music compared to the legacy stuff, so it's a never-ending voyage of discovery for me that covers a wide range of genres, which is basically everything.

Yeah, I tend to flick through reviews every so often to seek out whatever is being recommended but I almost never read negative reviews because what's the point. 

I hate the algorithm thing with Spotify et al because it almost always ends up cycling back to the same stuff that it's already played me, and often tries to push songs I already know I don't like. Probably not helped that I mostly use it for band and band-related stuff, or I'll just ask for a soul playlist when I'm cooking. 

Recommendations from artists I like seems to be a good route. You get plenty of variation, and a good amalgamation of stuff that people I like are listening to, which usually yields pretty good results that aren't inherently just a "the same but worse" version of that artist. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited October 2023
    Sporky said:
    Also isn't picking new music hua aggregated reviews a sure-fire way to end up listening to beige nothingness?

One of my favourite bands was described by a reviewer as having "soured all music forever". 
    Between the critic reviews and the user reviews, somebody will have a good word to say about it 
    edited October 2023
    Recommendations from artists I like seems to be a good route. You get plenty of variation, and a good amalgamation of stuff that people I like are listening to, which usually yields pretty good results that aren't inherently just a "the same but worse" version of that artist. 
    I do recommendations too, and I've found some great stuff on this website as well.