Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quite an insightful quote from Jools Holland in Guardian interview about Later...

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Vintage65 said:
    darthed1981 said:
    That's opinion though isn't it...?

Your statement was that their used to be critically acclaimed artists on their plugging new records.  ALL of those are critically acclaimed acts plugging new records.  If they aren't the records you personally like, that's not my or the BBC's problem.  I don't like all of them, but they do all fit those definitions.

Don't get me wrong "they don't have the acts on I like any more" is a perfectly fair opinion, but I think we have proved the initial statement wasn't correct.
    Mostly not my own opinion. I constantly seek out new music via a consensus from professional music critics and aggregated user reviews, but some of it is down to my own sleuthing. I listen to way more new music compared to the legacy stuff, so it's a never-ending voyage of discovery for me that covers a wide range of genres (basically everything).
    Well if out of that list you listened to them all and found you liked just those three acts, cool.

The idea there is some kind of objective truth behind it, whatever method you use, seems a bit daft to me.

But hey, whatever works for you dude. :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    edited October 2023
    Well if out of that list you listened to them all and found you liked just those three acts, cool.

The idea there is some kind of objective truth behind it, whatever method you use, seems a bit daft to me.

But hey, whatever works for you dude.
    Currently listening to Lankum, and hopefully Jools will get them on the new series  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14431
    It's all optional entertainment. 

For me, "Later …" ceased to be essential viewing when my interest was no longer piqued by at least one act every week. 

Also, many of the acts I would like to watch are either unwilling or unavailable to appear. Andy Partridge, Jeff Beck, Dr. John 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • It's all optional entertainment. 

For me, "Later …" ceased to be essential viewing when my interest was no longer piqued by at least one act every week. 

Also, many of the acts I would like to watch are either unwilling or unavailable to appear. Andy Partridge, Jeff Beck, Dr. John 
    I think I was first exposed to Dr John on Later. There have been some great performances on there. ATDI I remember vividly. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    edited October 2023
    It's all optional entertainment. 

I think I was first exposed to Dr John on Later. There have been some great performances on there. ATDI I remember vividly. 
    Re the earlier "...and now...Ruby Turner!" comment, I was going to write "...and now...Dr John!".  The first thing that springs to my mind whenever Later... is mentioned is Jools and Dr John doing one of their many piano duets.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11707
    edited October 2023
    'Later...' introduced me to the rather wonderful Kandace Springs, and for that fact alone I shall forever be grateful.
  • AirmilesAirmiles Frets: 41
    edited October 2023
    In the past few years, Jessie Buckley and the (IMO) spectacular and left-field LP (as in Laura Pergolizzi, not vinyl) stand out - LP's " Lost on You" album is now a family favourite.  Though that illustrates his point -  LPs vocal power is other -worldly

I used to love seeing him live, but his set has ossified and become samey... maybe it happens to us all. 

But I'll be forever grateful for his A-Z of the Piano tour in the 90s, and a Rico Rodriguez cameo of "Enjoy Yourself" about five years ago.

Just...no more R@#$ T@#$&*" for the love of all things Holy 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    I do like to watch it on occasion and have bought albums based on bands thereon.

However, I do wish he wouldn't do the "and now ..., featuring me" guesting with acts where he plays the same silly widdley bits on the piano no matter what the song.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    I'd like to pull pn the other thread of OP's post. @CaseOfAce noted that, per Jules, the 'big' performers all played with some force or volume. I don't doubt this is true, but how much of it was learned behaviour? By the time you get to headlining a TV extravaganza, you are confident and practised enough to really belt out your stuff - or did eg: Paul Simon always sound surprisingly loud and characterful on the guitar, even when picking?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    New series Saturday night 10:30 BBC2
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Judging by this thread, there'll be no-one watching!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    All watching MotD instead.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11707
    Wreckless Eric is on episode 1 - didn't know he was still alive!  And Johnny Marr is on episode 2.
  • Offset said:
    ...And Johnny Marr is on episode 2.
    Wow...JFM is putting himself about! If one is going to launch a book, one might as well do it properly ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Jalapeno said:
    I'll be recording and skipping the Paul Weller sections ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    Vintage65 said:
    I think comparing a regular series broadcast weekly when it's on, with what, 5 or 6 artists per episode, to certain specific "classic" archives footage is missing the point a bit - like how people forget the absolute dross music of the 60s and 70s because of the classics they like. There was dross on the show back then just as there is now, but in my opinion always worth watching for that special something every now and then that you wouldn't hear anywhere else
    Later used to be the place where acts promoted their critically acclaimed albums. There is still excellent new music being made, but the current iteration of Later is not the best place to find it.

Skindred are on the next series. They are excellent.
  • Jalapeno said:
    REALLY!? Blimey. 
  • Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:

That's entertainment!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288

What a bunch of grumpy old sods you lot are!

It is the only real music show where real acts perform live with no other crap going on. There isn't another one, is there?

It's a great live music format. Jools is an expert himself, a good respectful host and he lets the bands do the talking.

If you don't like the music well ok that's just your taste and opinion. There is variety and there's always something surprising.

Yes, he' always having his mates on again and again, and yes the boogie piano is repetitive, and yes he is always guesting himself. These are indulgences I just skip through if I want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    Jalapeno said:
    Jalapeno said:

And I'll be relaxing in the knowledge that it's on iPlayer, for me to watch whenever I want.  Or ignore forever.