Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What makes it Metal or Heavy Metal.?

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    The expression is often credited to author William Burroughs. The music is as @ICBM suggests. The lyrics of early HM recordings sometimes reflect the futurist/dystopian sci-fi literature of the time. At other times, the lyrics are simply about self indulgence. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    edited October 2023
    ICBM said:
    Sabbath are also probably the only one of the original 'heavy metal' bands who would now be considered Metal, rather than heavy rock or classic rock.
    Yeah, that's a tough one... I think Black Sabbath have to be classified as heavy metal because they invented it (I'm not having Blue Cheer or Steppenwolf or any of that).  But by today's standards they are closer to what's generally regarded as classic rock.

And to further muddy the waters, there's the fact that any new(ish) band nowadays which sounds like early Sabbath is classified as doom metal, not heavy metal (unless you're using metal/heavy metal in the broadest possible sense, which I usually do).

If I had to name one band which is the living embodiment of (traditional) heavy metal, it's Judas Priest.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    I've found that people who aren't into these types of music tend to say 'Heavy Metal' whereas those who are into it call it 'metal', or are more specific such as 'black Metal' or 'metalcore' or 'doom Metal' et cetera 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Wasn't the term first coined in a hawkwind song?  I've always found metalheads to be the loveliest people. 

I grew up listening to pantera and Metallica. Sure that's a bit vanilla compared to some stuff these days but some people found the hot club of France shocking. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Isn't it something to do with their atomic weight?  Heavy metals are more dense and have higher atomic numbers as well, such as iron, gold, copper, and tin along with lead, mercury, uranium, and zinc.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10452
    tFB Trader
    I fell in love with metal as a young punk guitarist ... browsing around a second hand record rack in a junkshop I found Masters of Reality by Sabbath. I bought it, and after that the punk in my playing fused into the NWOBHM that the band I pretty much immediately formed played. And yep ... metalheads are lovely folks.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11762
    I'm more into metalcore which is a modern style of metal. More screaming but mixed with screaming. 
    Is there any screaming?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm more into metalcore which is a modern style of metal. More screaming but mixed with screaming. 
    Is there any screaming?
    Sorry typo lol meant to say clean singing with screaming.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

If I had to name one band which is the living embodiment of (traditional) heavy metal, it's Judas Priest.

I'd rather put Iron Maiden in that category. There was too much following suit with Priest - from early blues rock, through hard rock/classic heavy metal and dabbling with synthesizers to modern almost-thrash metal in the early 90s, and so on.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18777
    Stevepage said:

It's clearly the leather underwear that makes it Metal
    I don't think furry mammal fisting was really metal...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    DrJazzTap said:
    Wasn't the term first coined in a hawkwind song?
    No - Steppenwolf in Born To Be Wild.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm more into metalcore which is a modern style of metal. More screaming but mixed with screaming. 
    Is there any screaming?
    Sorry typo lol meant to say clean singing with screaming.
    Well it gave me a laugh! :)
    bluecat said:
    Is it all the rough shouting, or the endless widdly widdly guitar bits that are so unmelodic.
    Now be honest... you aren't a fan are you? ;)

I find that the only thing I really dislike is the really screamy stuff, which isn't my thing, or people who think everything is shit except metal (but then people saying everything is shit except the stuff they like annoys me full stop).

The lovely thing about the age of streaming is you could spend a week listening to symphonic metal then a week listening to Taylor Swift then a week listening to Blur - it's all there right for the listening.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    ICBM said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    That's the badger!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • But when is it (are they) Very Metal? 
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    Philly_Q said:
    I'd rather put Iron Maiden in that category. There was too much following suit with Priest - from early blues rock, through hard rock/classic heavy metal and dabbling with synthesizers to modern almost-thrash metal in the early 90s, and so on.
    I very nearly said Maiden, but I think of them as the archetypal NWOBHM band ("New Wave..." 45 years on!  =) ).  But they transcended the NWOBHM in a way that, say, Angel Witch or Diamond Head didn't.  So yeah, no strong argument from me.
    DrJazzTap said:
    ICBM said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    That's the badger!
    Here's an interesting scholarly article about the origins of the term heavy metal:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19401159.2013.846655

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    edited October 2023
    If I'm feeling a little down in the dumps I can listen to these guys for a pick-me-up.

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 578
    I read the article Philly...Q. Very interesting, it has answered a lot of questions.
    Have a wiz for that. Thanks
  • Volume?