Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What makes it Metal or Heavy Metal.?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Pabcrane said:
    I've found that people who aren't into these types of music tend to say 'Heavy Metal' whereas those who are into it call it 'metal', or are more specific such as 'black Metal' or 'metalcore' or 'doom Metal' et cetera
    I tend to think metal is less metal than HM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    merlin said:
    If I'm feeling a little down in the dumps I can listen to these guys for a pick-me-up.

Once played with MIstress and their singer Dave Cunt (as seen in the video) was asking someone to hit him. Our bassist obliged, 7 stiches
    edited October 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    If I had to name one band which is the living embodiment of (traditional) heavy metal, it's Judas Priest.
    I'd rather put Iron Maiden in that category. There was too much following suit with Priest - from early blues rock, through hard rock/classic heavy metal and dabbling with synthesizers to modern almost-thrash metal in the early 90s, and so on.
    I very nearly said Maiden, but I think of them as the archetypal NWOBHM band ("New Wave..." 45 years on!  ).  But they transcended the NWOBHM in a way that, say, Angel Witch or Diamond Head didn't.  So yeah, no strong argument from me.
    nwobhm is a perid of time rather than a style or sound. Both DH and Angel Witch suffered from terrible management decisions
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22858
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    If I had to name one band which is the living embodiment of (traditional) heavy metal, it's Judas Priest.
    I'd rather put Iron Maiden in that category. There was too much following suit with Priest - from early blues rock, through hard rock/classic heavy metal and dabbling with synthesizers to modern almost-thrash metal in the early 90s, and so on.
    I very nearly said Maiden, but I think of them as the archetypal NWOBHM band ("New Wave..." 45 years on!  ).  But they transcended the NWOBHM in a way that, say, Angel Witch or Diamond Head didn't.  So yeah, no strong argument from me.
    nwobhm is a perid of time rather than a style or sound. Both DH and Angel Witch suffered from terrible management decisions
    Yeah I know, but it did feel like a sort of cottage industry, with lots of bands getting attention at the same time, and most of the albums being produced on small budgets for small labels.  There were a number of bands who peaked with their first or second albums and since then they've been sort of frozen in time.
    regarding sub genres: Speed metal is a 70s term - Ann Boleyn's radio show called Speed Metal Hell Power Metal - coined by MEtallica in 1982 Metalcore - a late 90s record label Deathcore - late 80s zine Sludge metal - coined mid 80s Dream Death
  • Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In 1979 and the early 80s when I was a lad Heavy metal covered everything from Deep purple ,rainbow ,journey,Rush , blue oyster cult ,skyward , Yes  Aerosmith ,Judas priest, Saxon to Def leppard & Ozzy & all the glam ,hair & prog that followed .  Your standard grebo would have a wide array of the stuff above or may follow one or two bands . Bands would have long hair and a reasonable to excellent mastery of their instruments . It was like a brotherhood of fans and tapes and records would be loaned copied  until you could afford to buy them . It was bloody great