Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What makes it Metal or Heavy Metal.?

What's Hot
bluecatbluecat Frets: 578
Is it all the rough shouting, or the endless widdly widdly guitar bits that are so unmelodic.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28233
    I don't think any of the metal I like has widdly widdly.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    “A guitar oriented slightly distorted sound” was the original definition.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14433
    Spandex and cucumbers, mainly.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Lead guitar may or may not be heavy metal, but a guitar made of lead definitely would be.
  • Awwww, have the nasty heavy metal men hurt your little ear drums? Just put Santana back on. He’s doesn’t widdle at all. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6821
    Spandex and cucumbers, mainly.
    And ladies (and male singers) in fishnets?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I like plenty of metal that has neither widdly widdly guitars, nor rough shouting.

I like plenty of blues that has tons of widdly widdly guitars and very rough shouting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    I only joined the band because you said it was Heavy Metal.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    I like plenty of metal that has neither widdly widdly guitars, nor rough shouting.

I like plenty of blues that has tons of widdly widdly guitars and very rough shouting. 
    Howlin’ Wolf is basically Rob Halford, give or take half a dozen kilos of leather. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3052

It's clearly the leather underwear that makes it Metal
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    To quote Saxon … “Wheels of Steel” 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10440
    tFB Trader
    To me Metal is just the most fun to play: I've played in bands from jazz and punk to rockabilly and blues = but I really have a ball when I can turn up and go a bit mad. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9628
    I find the endless subgenres fascinating though:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_genres

Some of them must have only a couple of  bands in them, each looking at the other’s integrity with disdain.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    Yes!! More Manowar! Moar!

Though not more Yes, perversely enough.

• To be a little serious - I always think that Heavy Metal actually predated Metal which had by then grown to cover other subgenres.
    • I'm pretty confused about the distinction between Rock and Metal. Things that were metal are now rock. But at the time, the distinction was very important. Also, some things are never Rock, only Metal. Manowar got this.
    • Rob Halford  is basically Howlin Wolf with a fluffer squeezing at the appropriate moment a high note is needed. Which is lots.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    I'm not sure how to interpret the question(s).  I thought the thread title was asking what's the difference between "Metal" and "Heavy Metal", but then the opening post seems to just be asking what metal/heavy metal actually is.

Anyway, no simple answer.  And as noted, there's lots of metal with no rough shouting and/or no (allegedly unmelodic) widdly widdly bits.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited October 2023
    I'm more into metalcore which is a modern style of metal. More screaming but mixed with singing. More double kick drum copying the guitar riffs and syncopated rhythms. Also more use of production like synths and strings.

To me 'metal' is the classic 80's bands or Metallica, Pantera etc. Metalcore is the 2009 era onwards like Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage etc etc.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    Black Sabbath

Start there...

It did.

'Characterised by the bass following the guitar parts in unison' was one of the early definitions I think. 'Containing a prominent flat-5th interval' might be another one (a lot of it does).

Anyway, Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath (on Black Sabbath :) ) does both.

Sabbath are also probably the only one of the original 'heavy metal' bands who would now be considered Metal, rather than heavy rock or classic rock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10440
    tFB Trader
    I'm more into metalcore which is a modern style of metal. More screaming but mixed with screaming. More double kick drum copying the guitar riffs and syncopated rhythms. Also more use of production like synths and strings.

To me 'metal' is the classic 80's bands or Metallica, Pantera etc. Metalcore is the 2009 era onwards like Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage etc etc.
    I see Metal as like a huge banquet with a dish to suit every mood ... If you want and apocalyptic then Sleep or Candlemass, if you want Symphonic then  Dimmu Borgir ... there's Rammstein for theatrical moments or old school from Sabbath or Maiden ... currently I am really into these guys 
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTzaT2cy2sU 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I'm more into metalcore which is a modern style of metal. More screaming but mixed with screaming. More double kick drum copying the guitar riffs and syncopated rhythms. Also more use of production like synths and strings.

I see Metal as like a huge banquet with a dish to suit every mood ... If you want and apocalyptic then Sleep or Candlemass, if you want Symphonic then  Dimmu Borgir ... there's Rammstein for theatrical moments or old school from Sabbath or Maiden ... currently I am really into these guys 
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTzaT2cy2sU 
    It's a very broad genre let's put it that way. The old school stuff doesn't have as much detailed syncopation for rhythm, the newer stuff typically has breakdowns and 2-bar patterns for them with the 2nd repeat changing. The kick drum is definitely louder in the mix!