Those new speed cameras

What's Hot

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 4128
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20248
    ^ I really do hate it that this place never updates a thread while you are reading or typing in it  B)
    @Sporky quick draw strikes again  ;)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8552
    edited October 2023
    Here's how the topic of speedometer accuracy was debated in the House of Lords in 2001:
    and here's the relevant EEC Directive quoted that refers to manufacturing and testing tolerances:
    (note the air temperatures, etc)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16421
    Haven't had time to read but a few weeks ago an automotive design engineer was explaining to be about how the amount of wear on a tire makes a change to the way a speedo reads 
    apparently 4mm of tread on a brand new tyre causes circumference difference significant enough to be accountable for at least 6% speedo error
    I'm not good at physics  so I zoned out a bit and didn't really listen
    edited October 2023
    Some of the commercial "trunk drivers" at my work have preferences for specific vehicles while hauling trailers for 9 hours.  It doesn't take them long to realise that new tyres on a vehicle after the tachograph (and connected speedo) was calibrated allows them to go faster than the speedo says they are going.  This is realised quite easily from the length of time it would normally take them to do their 4 hrs 30 min drive.  They can thus avoid tachograph infringements, but they still need to watch out for speed traps.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20248
    Dominic said:
    Haven't had time to read but a few weeks ago an automotive design engineer was explaining to be about how the amount of wear on a tire makes a change to the way a speedo reads 
    apparently 4mm of tread on a brand new tyre causes circumference difference significant enough to be accountable for at least 6% speedo error
    As does altering wheel rim sizes from OE, or fitting low profile or oversize tyres.
    Every alteration has a knock-on effect, even if you aren't intending it or aware of it.
    Hours of fun available here & other sites https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

edited October 2023
    @Kittyfrisk I am going to nominate you as my counsel (and "precog") in the event that I receive a speeding "ticket" and decide to plead Not Guilty.

I just had two new front tyres fitted and my wee car still can't pull the skin off a bowl of custard.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29744

@Sporky quick draw strikes again  ;)
    Pew-pew-pew! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13337
    I’ve been caught twice and done the driver awareness course. They said 10%+2 is a myth, or at least if it ever was a thing it isn’t now. I was doing 36 in a 30 the first time and 34 the second time. Someone on the course was doing 32. 
    It did once exist, but not as a rule as in "you can't be nicked for anything less than this" which people took it for.  Speeding is an absolute offense, as I said in my post, you are committing a crime a 1mph over the speed limit and can be nicked for it.

The ACPO guidelines for speed enforcement had a table in them indicating the thresholds at which a fixed penalty notice was the recommended minimum sanction, and when a summons was the suitable response.  These happened to be set at + 10% + 2mph for a fpn.

This was when cameras were everywhere before the funding from government got turned off under David Cameron.

Now, the guidelines are defunct, and a police officer can nick you for committing any crime - including driving 1mph over the speed limit, but then they always could, the ACPO guidelines were just guidelines.

They still however mostly allow you a bit of an allowance, even if it's only 2mph for calibration reasons though that would be very unusual.

Safest way to avoid a ticket remains... don't speed.

Side note, the old rules also included a lot of the popular myths about visibility etc. - now in Northampton I regularly see a speed camera than the local coppers use that is completely unmarked, just a grey van, and they do ANPR as well.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1256
    Dominic said:
    It doesn't make as big a difference as you'd think.
    Lets use a fairly middle sized 235/60R16 tyre as an example (size made up)
    16" = 406.4mm
    60% of 235 = 141mm
    So at 'standard' size, overall diameter is 688.4mm.
    8mm is only 1.16% of a variation.

Even taking something like an old fashioned 165/80R13, the overall diameter is 594.2, and 8mm variation is 1.35%

However that is only the theoretical size, and tyre pressures have a far bigger effect on rolling size.
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 353
    edited October 2023
    m_c said:
    16" = 406.4mm
    60% of 235 = 141mm

Even taking something like an old fashioned 165/80R13, the overall diameter is 594.2, and 8mm variation is 1.35%

However that is only the theoretical size, and tyre pressures have a far bigger effect on rolling size.
    You need to be looking at the circumference and from that you get distance travelled per revolution. Maybe you are? Working not shown clearly!! And should be mentioned it's maths not physics!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You need to be looking at the circumference and from that you get distance travelled per revolution. Maybe you are? Working not shown clearly!! And should be mentioned it's maths not physics!

As the circumference is the diameter times pi, it makes no difference. The percentage change in the diameter is the same as the percentage change in circumference. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1256
    m_c said:
    16" = 406.4mm
    60% of 235 = 141mm

It doesn't make any difference to the percentage whether you do the calculation on the diameter, or circumference.
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 353
    edited October 2023
    m_c said:
    It doesn't make any difference to the percentage whether you do the calculation on the diameter, or circumference.
    Oh.. bother.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32356
    There's not much in it even in the real world. 
    I have a bike which does 62mph at 4,000 rpm in top on a new tyre, which drops to 60mph with a worn out tyre.
    So it's noticeable but rarely licence threatening. 
    For 4mm of wear to make a 6% difference you'd need to have 13.5cm diameter wheels (including tyres) . If my sums are right. I think my sack truck has bigger wheels than that. 
    edited October 2023
    Sporky said:
     If my sums are right. I think my sack truck has bigger wheels than that. 
    You must have some size of sack !!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6943
    The way I try and view it, is cameras arent a trap or hidden. The road limits are the absolute limits. Stick to them and dont worry about cameras. 

BUT as drivers we all know it aint that easy. So much going on, shitty road signs or none at all. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    BillDL said:
    Sporky said:
    I just measured, and the hubs are 12.5cm diameter, the tyres are about 28cm diameter. 

I'm sure you can all calculate the sack size from that! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7234
    Sporky said:
    BillDL said:
    Sporky said:
    I just measured, and the hubs are 12.5cm diameter, the tyres are about 28cm diameter. 

I'm sure you can all calculate the sack size from that! 
    Sporky earlier today

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    IMG_1117.jpeg 901.2K
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom