Line 6 HX One

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    What have people's experience been of noise from the HX One?
    I see on Gearpage lots of complaints about units being noisy, however, it seems hit and miss. Some find a big issue, others see no noise. It seems to be unit specific with some possible bad batches. One guy had a silent one, bought a new one to go with it and that was very noisy.

Mine was fine. 

I feel like some people on forums get really unreasonable about noise though...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 38
    @stickyfiddle I'd probably be one of them :-)

I only play at home and noise drives me crazy. My amp and board are really quiet, so don't really want to add something with lots of noise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 598
    It isn’t noisy IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 598
    £199 at a few places for summer sale
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4100
    Just seen this on GuitarGuitar… great price. I sold mine but tempted to get another now!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4800
    Just seen this on GuitarGuitar… great price. I sold mine but tempted to get another now!
    Yeah I'm tempted too.  Have bought pickups today so probably shouldn’t but hard to wait at this price.

How come you sold one in the first place?

I’m thinking of replacing a plethora X3 which is a bit more limited on range of effects, but the tuner is brill.

Ordered.  I'll only end up buying one in a few months at the full price.

Need to try it up against the Plethora X3.  I've not been making the most out of the plethora, I only use 1 effect at a time really, I'm thinking the HX One will trump it once I get a Midi controller.  I use drop tuning for one song,  from memory the HX effect was better but can now try them side by side.

Keen to see how flux works, I'm not really using mash on the Plethora for some reason, I think flux will work better and always have the option of an expression pedal with the HX One, whereas the Plethora X3 doesn't have the option.

Received mine yesterday.

Seems pretty intuitive, flex works really well, I can see some creative uses for that.  
    I set up an analog delay that effectively had 2 presets with the flex toggling between slap and a 370ms general ambience delay, which is good.

The effects I know well, so no surprises there.  Even though I have a Deco, retro reel is still a classic in its own right as are some of the delays / reverbs.

I was getting a bit of noise when touching the footswitches with my hands, but I don’t think that will be a problem with normal use. 

I have a 2 button footswitch that can scroll through presets, but may just use as a delay pedal for now, as I really need a 3rd switch for flux.   Alternatively, I could have just preset up and just use 2 or 3 presets and use the 2nd switch for flux.  Midi will be where this becomes a real versatile chameleon of a pedal.  If I don’t use the tuner I could even tuck away under the board using the midi controller for everything.

Tuner works fine, easy to see, fine to engage but ultimately with Midi will be easier again.

Supposed to be selling my Plethora X3 but may keep it for a bit, the univibe is really good and the versatility the screen brings is really good, so will see. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4903
    edited July 9

<snip>
    Tuner works fine, easy to see, fine to engage but ultimately with Midi will be easier again.

Supposed to be selling my Plethora X3 but may keep it for a bit, the univibe is really good and the versatility the screen brings is really good, so will see. 
    More about the X3 than the HX One, but... I've owned an X5 and an X3 (wanted to reduce footprint, never used more than 2-3 effects at once). I really liked it/them. If I could find the time to "tap dance" to select effects I might still be using it. 

But I don't have that time, because I'm stuck at a microphone, so I needed MIDI to select presets. The Plethora isn't very good for that. Loading a board is only viable between songs and turning slots on/off using CC commands is a faff to program. I also suffered from the "my ES-5 sends CC commands too fast for the Plethora to process them" syndrome. An HX FX with snapshots was much better. And, of course, the HX FX (because of Command Center) is also a MIDI controller for other devices. 

So, @menamestom , I suspect you'll be moving the X3 on even though some of the effects on it are mighty fine. Unless you restrict your MIDI use to the HX One. 

For instant loading of presets on an MFX, my personal experience is the GT1000 and the H90 feel instantaneous and there are no gaps in your playing. But that's a step up in budget and (potentially) complexity. 

<snip>

More about the X3 than the HX One, but... I've owned an X5 and an X3 (wanted to reduce footprint, never used more than 2-3 effects at once). I really liked it/them. If I could find the time to "tap dance" to select effects I might still be using it. 

But I don't have that time, because I'm stuck at a microphone, so I needed MIDI to select presets. The Plethora isn't very good for that. Loading a board is only viable between songs and turning slots on/off using CC commands is a faff to program. I also suffered from the "my ES-5 sends CC commands too fast for the Plethora to process them" syndrome. An HX FX with snapshots was much better. And, of course, the HX FX (because of Command Center) is also a MIDI controller for other devices. 

So, @menamestom , I suspect you'll be moving the X3 on even though some of the effects on it are mighty fine. Unless you restrict your MIDI use to the HX One. 

For instant loading of presets on an MFX, my personal experience is the GT1000 and the H90 feel instantaneous and there are no gaps in your playing. But that's a step up in budget and (potentially) complexity. 

Interesting.  I'd not really thought too much about midi with the X3.  I've heard it has limitations.  I only have a pedaltrain Jr so HX One makes most sense as the versatile Multi FX option, if I keep the X3 may end up going on a pedaltrain nano with an overdrive pedal.  Would make a really good quick jam option.

H90 would be ideal but a bit out of range currently, looking at a few more Strymon options to work with the midi so ultimately the X3 will have to leave the board one way or another.

• NickBNickB Frets: 282
    Thinking about this to pair with my HX Stomp so I can run DSP heavy effects on the HX One such as 12 String and Poly capo. 

Sounded great at rehearsal last night, but there were a few frustrations with entering preset mode in error after adjusting an effect with Flux just how I wanted it, but that's probably just carelessness on my behalf.  Also noticed Flux isn't quite as instantaneous with the external footswitch, but it is a really good function.

Definitely a keeper, small on space and not too power hungry, will need Midi to make the most of it.

I can't help wanting a H90 as well though, they would work well on the same board.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2348
    Bought another one for a small board..

Is it possible to have an external expression pedal (on a wah patch)  to turn off when not being used (or even if putting in heel down)?  I'd thought It was and had seen a video on how to do it but I can't  get it to turn the patch off or find the video.   I've got it so the mix is at 0 on the heel down but the pedal is still on.
  • FezFez Frets: 556
    thomasw88 said:

Is it possible to have an external expression pedal (on a wah patch)  to turn off when not being used (or even if putting in heel down)?  I'd thought It was and had seen a video on how to do it but I can't  get it to turn the patch off or find the video.   I've got it so the mix is at 0 on the heel down but the pedal is still on.
    I doubt my ancient boss expression pedal will be able to do that but I would love to know how to set it up to turn the patch on and off. It could even be worth getting a new pedal if that made it possible.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 468
    Fez said:
    thomasw88 said:

I doubt my ancient boss expression pedal will be able to do that but I would love to know how to set it up to turn the patch on and off. It could even be worth getting a new pedal if that made it possible.
    If it’s the same as the stomp, you put the bypass assign of the wah to exp1. 

Heal down & wah is off. 

A few queries...

Can you save a preset with the Tap/flux state?  e.g. I have a delay preset and I want tap to be active when the preset is engaged.  When I select a rotary I want the flux to be engaged, not tap.

The bypass state doesn't seem to save in the preset.  They all seem to be set to 'on' when I exit preset mode.  Or if I use an external footswitch, scrolling through them they are all on also.

Assuming neither of these will be a problem when I switch over to MIDI control.

A few queries...

Can you save a preset with the Tap/flux state?  e.g. I have a delay preset and I want tap to be active when the preset is engaged.  When I select a rotary I want the flux to be engaged, not tap.

The bypass state doesn't seem to save in the preset.  They all seem to be set to 'on' when I exit preset mode.  Or if I use an external footswitch, scrolling through them they are all on also.

I’m not sure about flux state (though you flip around the values when flux is on/off if not). But the “activate preset always turns it on” thing is the biggest reason I sold mine. A huge oversight from the testing team 

A few queries...

I’m not sure about flux state (though you flip around the values when flux is on/off if not). But the “activate preset always turns it on” thing is the biggest reason I sold mine. A huge oversight from the testing team 
    What do you mean?  There two options, either scroll and manually activate  or scroll active presets 
    thomasw88 said:

A few queries...

What do you mean?  There two options, either scroll and manually activate  or scroll active presets 
    What I wanted to be able to do was prep a preset in advance then activate it part through a song. 

When I was using an aux to scroll between patches I couldn’t find a way to select the patch without activating it. 

Actually fwiw the more annoying thing was being able to name patches but the device not showing those names when you activate them. When I had e.g. 3 poly capo patches with different degrees of pitch shift that made live use next to impossible 
    thomasw88 said:

A few queries...

What I wanted to be able to do was prep a preset in advance then activate it part through a song. 

When I was using an aux to scroll between patches I couldn’t find a way to select the patch without activating it. 

Actually fwiw the more annoying thing was being able to name patches but the device not showing those names when you activate them. When I had e.g. 3 poly capo patches with different degrees of pitch shift that made live use next to impossible 
    you can scroll up or down and then have to press both footswitches or the effect button to turn it on or off.   That's in the global settings.

I agree about the naming patches thing. That is a pita that presumably  will get fixed in a firmware update