Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The cassette player is back!

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5050
edited November 2023 in Off Topic
Dunno if this has been posted before but WTF?! Is it April 1st? 

https://www.wearerewind.com/en-gb/pages/a-propos

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3287
    edited November 2023
    I have a Loros Charity shop nearby which is dedicated to music and gaming.. cassettes used to be .50p-£2, now they are £6-£12.
    2reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not in my house it isn't. Cassette has none of the "ritual" appeal of vinyl, or the huge space for artwork, or the sound quality, or the ease of locating a single track. 

The only thing I miss about cassettes is the ability to make mixtapes for road trips, but it's been a lot of years since I had a cassette player in my car.

£133 isn't completely ridiculous, but I won't be buying one.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27601

"We were able to count on the know-how of French engineers"

I'm out.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I liked them when they were current but there's no reason to now. Azimuth afjustment, Head cleaners, tape noise and random chews are things I don't miss. I liked my Tascam and Fostex machines but Reaper has a few more features ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 623
    I’m sure they will sell some. I won’t buy it though. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17631
    tFB Trader
    The youtube channel Tech Moan sometimes talks about cassette players and other retro Hi Fi

He said that there is only one factory left in the world that makes cassette player transports and it makes very budget ones so these types of products however expensive they are tend to sound really bad.

So unless something significant has changed these won't be very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    More than you ever wanted to know about certain particular short-lived cassette and tape recorders, episode 1:

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11796
    Just... why?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Last weekend we had dinner at my mum and dad's. My eldest daughter found an old Aiwa walkman. 

She was extremely excited, until she found I had no cassettes to go with it.

As a DJ, I loved cassettes.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I’ve still got a Tascam CDA 500 https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/344/CD-A500_techdoc.pdf for sale in the classifieds from way back https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/42638/processing-rack-some-bits-sold 

Might have to think again about the price!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    edited November 2023
    I've still got Tascam and Fostex 4 tracks - which I don't use.

• steersteer Frets: 1188
    edited November 2023
    As a kid I would spend ages choosing what cassette albums to buy with my meagre pocket money. When one of the cassettes got chewed up I would painstakingly try to repair it by untangling and manually rewinding. The sound was never as good, and often it would get chewed up again.

Really some thing are best consigned to history, even if I do get a wave of nostalgia every now and then when I see anything cassette related.  

Recording songs off the radio and trying to "edit" out the DJ at the beginning and end of the song was an under-appreciated art form though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited November 2023
    steer said:
    I... get a wave of nostalgia every now and then when I see anything cassette related.  

Recording songs off the radio and trying to "edit" out the DJ at the beginning and end of the song was an under-appreciated art form though.
    Not long ago I saw long fluttering streamers of cassette tape wrapped around the rubbish in my neighbour's garden, a broken red winding spool nearby.  The light catches the tape in a certain way, maybe a shiny side and a matte side?  (I couldn't remember and didn't investigate), and I realised I hadn't seen this once-common sight for decades. 
    EDIT John Peel would generously avoid talking over the intros and outros.  This would make it easy to tape his shows but it was a pity the music was so variable.

• Grunfeld said:

EDIT John Peel would generously avoid talking over the intros and outros.  This would make it easy to tape his shows but it was a pity the music was so variable.

Unlike Tony Blackburn on the Sunday evening Top 40 countdown. W*nker!
  • The cool kids have been into tape cassettes for quite a while in the same way that they used to get into vinyl. Some kind of strange nostalgia for something you never knew. I was going to get rid of my CDs but now I think I'll sit on them for a few years until they are cool again.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    TTony said:

"We were able to count on one hand the know-how of French engineers"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dunno if this has been posted before but WTF?! Is it April 1st? 

https://www.wearerewind.com/en-gb/pages/a-propos

I’ve awarded you a ‘Wow’ - hopefully the mods will add a ‘Flutter’ button as well…
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    The cool kids have been into tape cassettes for quite a while in the same way that they used to get into vinyl. Some kind of strange nostalgia for something you never knew. I was going to get rid of my CDs but now I think I'll sit on them for a few years until they are cool again.
    Was going to take the opportunity to mention my daughter's band's recent EP cassette release, available on Bandcamp and their merch stall at gigs. But then thought better of it - I've already mentioned it elsewhere on the forum  ;)

I've paid well over the odds for all their releases, but I haven't as of yet bought their cassette!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27601
    Grunfeld said:

I’ve still got some of those on cassette.  The early ones were recorded from MW radio via the built in mic of a cassette player/recorder.

Ahhhhh … those were the days.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    The cool kids have been into tape cassettes for quite a while in the same way that they used to get into vinyl. Some kind of strange nostalgia for something you never knew. I was going to get rid of my CDs but now I think I'll sit on them for a few years until they are cool again.
    That's already started. A couple of 20 year old ex-colleagues of mine are at Bristol Uni and they and their peers are all buying old hifi separates and scouring the charity shops for cool CDs.
    To be fair they have found some gems among the Tina Turners and Phil Collinses.