Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The cassette player is back!

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    Minidisc next. 
    My Dad still has my old minidisc deck, still works!

Minidiscs were so cool!
    I've still got a MiniDisc player, and it should still work, unless it's died from simple disuse.  It felt like MiniDisc was only a "thing" for about six months before it vanished, although I remember there were actually a few pre-recorded discs available in the shops.  Probably Phil Collins.

Cassettes?  No.  They were OK for (illegally) copying albums, but they always sounded shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    Who wants the VHS player I’ve just dug out of storage?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    Nah, only interested in Betamax
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    I’ve started selling cassette tape adjustment tools for £15 each

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    TTony said:
    I've still got one of those too.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    A few weeks ago I remembered that my mum had an old Walkman.  Turned out in fact that she held the repository for all the cassette players our family owned and didn't throw away, so I took the best ones to play around with.  I'd forgotten what a pain it is to repeat and skip tracks, and the treble is terribly splashy and imprecise, but it was nice to go back and listen to tapes I recorded decades ago.

• Philly_Q said:
    Minidisc next. 
    My Dad still has my old minidisc deck, still works!

Minidiscs were so cool!
    I've still got a MiniDisc player, and it should still work, unless it's died from simple disuse.  It felt like MiniDisc was only a "thing" for about six months before it vanished, although I remember there were actually a few pre-recorded discs available in the shops.  Probably Phil Collins.

Cassettes?  No.  They were OK for (illegally) copying albums, but they always sounded shit.
    I liked mini disc they had quite a long life actually I remember seeing them in the early mid 90s  and getting a portable one myself around 2001 . I remember a guy using them for backing tracks who played in a local pub 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    An essential companion to the Walkman was one of those hand winder things so you could rewind a tape back to the beginning, it used to take half the life of a set of batteries to do it in the machine.

There used to be a kiosk in the concourse of Leicester Square station that sold blank tapes at fantastic prices. Unfortunately they also sold some utterly crap ones where the music had to battle with the tape hiss to be heard. In my memory the first Stiff Little Fingers album always had a background "sssss". 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    You never needed blank cassettes, just whatever free ones you had from magazine covers and a couple of bits of sellotape
  • I always wondered if they could have made them properly hiss free by using all 4 tracks (single sided) with 2 tracks out of phase. A bit like a balanced cable or humbucker.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    edited November 2023
    TTony said:
    Nah, only interested in Betamax
    Video 2000 is the discerning choice. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    None of these were too far out of reach ...

My original cassette walkman had a very hard life through my Uni years and beyond, so that was retired long ago.  That AIWA model, with an external mic, was quite effective at recording gigs.

The Pod mini still gets use, as does the Sony mp3 player.   

From 90mins on a dodgy tape to about 2yrs worth of mp3s on the 1TB microSD card.  I find that quite amazing.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Minidisc next. 
    I really liked minidisc. It was like CD but they'd solved the main problem by giving it its own plastic housing so it won't get scratched. Also recordable like tape. Brilliant! 
  • I still have an iPod mkII somewhere in the house. Tempted Todo the SD card mod with a new battery. But would I use it.
    Wait until it's 25 years old and vintage and then sell.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Minidisc next. 
    I really liked minidisc. It was like CD but they'd solved the main problem by giving it its own plastic housing so it won't get scratched. Also recordable like tape. Brilliant! 
    And track names. 

And my Minidisc player was a lovely shade of blue. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    I always wondered if they could have made them properly hiss free by using all 4 tracks (single sided) with 2 tracks out of phase. A bit like a balanced cable or humbucker.
    You just required Dolby Noise Reduction for that? Only the higher end Walkmans had Dolby - without it, the problem was worse because commercially recorded stuff featured Dolby encoding - playing that back without Dolby just made things very "bright". 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    I always wondered if they could have made them properly hiss free by using all 4 tracks (single sided) with 2 tracks out of phase. A bit like a balanced cable or humbucker.
    No, because hiss is random across a wide range of frequencies. Hum cancellation works because there’s one frequency (or a small range with a fixed relationship to each other).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I still have an iPod mkII somewhere in the house. Tempted Todo the SD card mod with a new battery. But would I use it.
    Wait until it's 25 years old and vintage and then sell.
    I've got a 4gb iPod nano  - I use it as my car player. I don't want music on my phone, too complicated! 
    But there's used nano's on  ebay going for £250 . I better flog it!

I've got a decent Denon cassette recorder in a box somewhere - and heaps of our band tapes.
    Can't beat that graunchy sound of music off crinkled tape.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    These'll be the next big thing:

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    These'll be the next big thing:

We had a couple of 8 track players and didn't get a cassette deck until 1983 - quite rare in the UK. I used to record the charts onto them and everything. They were pretty bad even compared to worst cassettes. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"