Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fake pies

What's Hot

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2575
    Philly_Q said:

Americans sometimes call pizzas "pies", and they're really not.
    In Chicago a pizza is closer to being a pie than pizza
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23577
    elstoof said:
    Philly_Q said:

I'll have to take your word for that!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19353
    Philly_Q said:
    WezV said:
    Does that mean a shepherd's/cottage pie isn't a pie either?  Should we aim for all round mash coverage to make it a pie.

Where are we on things like pecan or pumpkin pie that rarely have a lid?  Perverted tarts perhaps.

Hmm, I wonder if we're getting into territory where those things, whilst perfectly fine, are not really pies at all?  I admit I have not looked up the dictionary definition.

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore...".
    I'm not arguing with Dino ;)  
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5635
    Shepherds pie.Apple pie. Many others. Very much real dishes, no bottom, just a top.

"Pie" obviously, like so many words in English, has two quite different meanings.

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3159
    It's sounds like an excuse for the restaurant to save on the pastry.  Call it pie and people will think its pie and pay for pie.  But it's actually stew, which lets face it, nobody will pay for unless you're abandoned on the Yorkshire moors, in driving rain, worried a werewolf might attack you. 

I went to a restaurant once and it advertised 'deconstructed cheesecake'. Basically just the scrapings of the complete cheesecake remains from the past week, frozen, defrosted and then laid out neatly on the plate to make the chef look Michelin star. 

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2575
    Philly_Q said:
    elstoof said:
    Philly_Q said:

I'll have to take your word for that!

It can be quite good, but definitely not pizza. It’s a pie without a lid, combined with a pot pie it could take over the world
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19353
    edited November 2023
    Tannin said:
    Shepherds pie.Apple pie. Many others. Very much real dishes, no bottom, just a top.

"Pie" obviously, like so many words in English, has two quite different meanings.

Apple pie without a pastry case/bottom? Heresy!!!
    Not even the French would omit the bottoms of their cheeky little topless tarts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Philly_Q said:
    I don't mind, but it isn't really a proper pie.  My brother, who is much more of a foodie, gets quite worked up about it. 

He also strongly objects to "crumble" which is just stewed fruit with crumble mixture added on top after cooking.  Again I'm not that bothered, but he's right that the "claggy" bit, where fruit meets crumble during cooking, is the best part of a proper crumble.

I'm very keen on a crumble (I made and ate most of a plumb crumble earlier this week). The notion that the crumble would be added after cooking is really weird, what's the point? 
    One of my favourite things to make is a sort of crumble sponge thing from my Mary Berry children's cookbook. Sponge topped with fruit topped with crumble. 

On an unrelated topic I had a health check this week and I am now officially obese. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    On an unrelated topic I had a health check this week and I am now officially obese. 
    Entirely unrelated... ;)

I'm very keen on a crumble (I made and ate most of a plumb crumble earlier this week). The notion that the crumble would be added after cooking is really weird, what's the point? 
    Much like the "pies" I guess, they can make and freeze a big load of stewed fruit, a similar big load of crumble mix, and combine them in those little individual dishes at the last minute according to demand.

• Philly_Q said:

Much like the "pies" I guess, they can make and freeze a big load of stewed fruit, a similar big load of crumble mix, and combine them in those little individual dishes at the last minute according to demand.

That's so wrong. Although I don't know if I 'd order crumble at a restaurant, very much a home made dish to be eaten in big portions and then later a bit of cold left over one teaspoon at a time because if you eat anything in small enough portions there are no calories (did I mention the officially obese thing, not that it relates to this at all?). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3117
    Pye Hastings.

Caravan band  Progressive rock Rock music Psychedelic bands

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • elstoof said:
    Philly_Q said:

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Tweety wasn't a pie either, it was a cartoon bird.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Here's another example of something masquerading as a pie:

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5436
    Tannin said:

Apple pie has a bottom you heathen convict!!!!!
    That's so wrong. Although I don't know if I 'd order crumble at a restaurant, very much a home made dish to be eaten in big portions and then later a bit of cold left over one teaspoon at a time because if you eat anything in small enough portions there are no calories (did I mention the officially obese thing, not that it relates to this at all?). 
    Agreed, but it's quite common in pubs.  Yes, sorry folks, I like pubs with food, I don't like drinking-men's pubs.  I'm a Southerner.
  • blobb said:
    Pye Hastings.

Caravan band  Progressive rock Rock music Psychedelic bands

Is that the Pye that makes girls grow plump in the night?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    Don't argue with Pie

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14746
    Brio said:
    … a stew with a lid on.
    (Randall) Flagged!

Fake pie sounds a bit transphobic.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Sporky said:
    Brio said:
    That's not a pie. That's a stew with a lid on.
    Spot on. 

A stew with a lid on can be a good thing. 

It cannot be a pie. 
    Did someone say “stew”? I feel queasy