Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Good Office Chairs for Guitar Playing

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2182
I’m looking to get a new office chair as my current one is starting to cause me pain when sitting. I've currently got a Herman Miller Aeron and was looking to replace it with the Herman Miller Embody whilst on the current Black Friday sale. 

My only concern is whether the armrest will be annoying for playing guitar, as they don’t slide back, out of the way. 

Are there any other really good chairs I should consider, that are also good for playing guitar on? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    This is the one I’ve got: https://jysk.co.uk/office/office-chairs/office-chair-asperup-black-mesh?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3uGqBhDdARIsAFeJ5r1-L0CHW2dwcF1lIelho9ejaI2-umALyHS_NVUoVoKuRbfbPQNdUmAaAk-UEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The armrests get out of the way. Been using that chair for a couple of years and it’s been a space saver. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    Buy an office chair you fancy then just take the arm rests off (or don't assemble them to start with). That's what I've done. Works great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    edited November 2023
    I'm in a similar position is so far as I have a specific chair for my back that I use for my home office and for playing guitar as well. I can say 100% for certain that you need an arm that will lift especially of you have a bigger body guitar like a 335 as well as acoustics. I have a Steelcase chair that works for me...
  • DannicDannic Frets: 40
    Not sure if this is still a viable thing to do, but pre-covid, I just went to a big PC World store and tried a big range of office/gaming chairs. No substitute for actually sitting in and knowing what the chair feels like. Like others have said, if the armrest isn’t moveable, then just leave off when building. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    I used to have a humanscale freedom which is a very impressive chair and super comfortable. Similar pricing to Herman Miller. I specifically got it because the armrests moved out of the way BUT they didn't move out of the way perfectly. 

It kind of worked, but I was never entirely happy. One of my kids broke it so I just recently got this one.

Orangebox EVA

The improvement with the EVA is that the arms get completely out of the way (although it doesn't look it - very clever mechanism).

To be honest the EVA isn't as comfortable as the humanscale, but the humanscale is the best chair that I've ever sat in.

I really recommend buying things like this on facebook marketplace or ebay as the second hand prices are low and you can often find examples that are hardly used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    Onpar said:
    Buy an office chair you fancy then just take the arm rests off (or don't assemble them to start with). That's what I've done. Works great.

Best of luck doing that with a newer-model Aeron - you'll need an angle grinder to get the arms off. God knows why they changed the design, they used to be in open grooves and would slide off easily, now they're in closed grooves and you can't get them out without imposing ultraviolence on the chair
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I've used an Aeron for many years in my home office and it is just plain very (very) good - I WFH and sit on it 8-10+ hours a day.
    I've also kitted out desks in the bedrooms with an Aeron in one and an armless Celle in another.
    At risk of stating the obvious, for guitar you need an armless chair.
    I've not bought any of them new :- the second Aeron cost me around £100 including a new gas-lift cylinder and the Celle was £30.
  • It's a somewhat different price point, but I got one of these in the first lockdown and it's been good.

https://www.chairoffice.co.uk/alabama-mesh-office-chair/

The funny thing is, I've found I hardly bother to put the arms back down now, so maybe as others have said, pick the one you like and leave them off?
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I use one in work with arms in the way. Forces me to sit up and forward. Cushion behind lower back. I get back ache quickly no matter what really. I should stand more. If i get a comfy chair i will just lean back and start swivelling and fall asleep. So heavy swivel chair,no arms,std back (no head rest) cushion behind lower back and small box to raise my leg. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    This is the solution I found. The original seats from my Saab, mounted on custom frames fabricated by Scavenger Design near Brighton. Really comfortable, supportive and adjustable. The driver's seat even has height adjustment!
    'scuse the mess, this is before I decorated ;-)

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    edited November 2023
    I've got a Herman Miller Mirra with the armrests removed (but included in the sale) going cheap if anyone is looking for a great office/guitar playing chair: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/257413/fs-herman-miller-mirra-chair
  • I’ve got a Kab Controller which does the trick - plenty of adjustability. 
  • I ordered a Hinomi H1 Pro using the black friday discount. No idea if it's any good, but has to be better than my current beat up chair

https://uk.hinomi.co/
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Humanscale Freedom for me, plenty of refurbed ones kicking about for reasonable money, never had a problem with the armrests not getting far enough out of the way but clearly ymmv
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24341
    I could not fathom spending a grand on a chair.

I get these: IDEAL 365 Office Fabric Operator Chairs 2 lever PCB (Blue, No Arms) : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

and then have a good memory foam cushion on it. Funnily enough - last time I had hernia surgery the doc recommended a haemorrhoid ring / donut cushion while I was recuperating and it's excellent! :D 
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 103
    If you are looking for a very good quality ergonomic chair and aren’t looking to scrimp, then I’d recommend a Hag Sofi Mesh. 

It’s the only ergonomic chair at that price point (Herman Miller ballpark.) where the arms can get out of the way easily. In the case of this chair, they slide right back. I’ve had no issues with paying my electric or acoustic. 

I’d been looking for an ergonomic chair as I WFH FT, but I could never pull the trigger due to the guitar issue. This chair solved it, so I went for it having tested it when John Lewis had them. 

However I am off the opinion that if you pay a couple of grand for a sofa you sit on a few hours a night, then you may as well splurge on something I’m sitting on 8 hours a day. 
    Trading feedback available here
  • allen said:
    I used to have a humanscale freedom which is a very impressive chair and super comfortable. Similar pricing to Herman Miller. I specifically got it because the armrests moved out of the way BUT they didn't move out of the way perfectly. 

It kind of worked, but I was never entirely happy. One of my kids broke it so I just recently got this one.

Orangebox EVA

The improvement with the EVA is that the arms get completely out of the way (although it doesn't look it - very clever mechanism).

To be honest the EVA isn't as comfortable as the humanscale, but the humanscale is the best chair that I've ever sat in.

I really recommend buying things like this on facebook marketplace or ebay as the second hand prices are low and you can often find examples that are hardly used.
    Recommend the Orangebox EVA too... I've got one without arms and it's perfect.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    get a good office chair and a cheap stool  -     paid about £25 fot a padded/leatherette adjustable stool on casters from Amazon 

bit like this   -  ideal height too

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    edited November 2023
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom