Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tablets. What's good?

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
Looking to get Mrs B a tablet of some sort to replace her aging laptop. A lot of people are saying just go with an iPad, but what are the alternatives? Looking for something round 9-10 inch screen and probably will only need wifi, not 3G. Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6197
    The Nook HD+ are great value, Argos are knocking them out cheap for a 32GB model and it takes a sim card.  They can be rooted by picking up a bootable SD card or by doing it yourself.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1111
    What's your budget and what do you want to do on it?

There are a lot of landfill Android tablets about but the Tesco Hudl 2 seems a good buy otherwise iPad Air
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
    edited October 2014
    Up to £200 I reckon, so I think an Air is not in the running. Second hand 4th gen might be do-able. It'll be for web browsing, Facebook, YouTube, that kinda thing. Photo storage. Music storage. Maybe a bit of minor photo editing.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 546
    i recently got an ASUS memobook 7" £120.and its great .Its based on the old Nexus 7 and runs on the latest Kitkat OS. For £200 you could get the 10" which is equally good.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5568
    I love my Nexus 7. You can get them cheap enough now.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    In our house we have two versions of the iPad, an Xperia and a Nexus 7. The Nexus is a bit small really but it has been problem free.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Pregablin is The Boss among my 'service users' I'm made aware.....

Oh, electrical stuff! iPad matey. 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Wait it out and get a Google Nexus 9? 

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4000
    edited October 2014
    Have a look on the Apple refub store for some good deals. They have iPad minis for £169, ipad 2 for £199, right upto the newer models.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited October 2014
    Wait it out and get a Google Nexus 9? kicks the shit out of anything Apple seeing as you can plug USB sticks, USB Keyboards, mice etc. into them too with a £1-3 adapter. 

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15999

^ I see it's a mini usb input,but with an adaptor could I watch my breaking (usb) bad on this thing?

tae be or not tae be
  • my tuppence worth (which no doubt will get bashed :p) is you will not replace a laptop with an iPad or Android tab, windows convertible yes but out of budget..

£200 I would be buying a refurb Lenovo Thinkpad i5 12.1, 4gb, 120-320gb HDD for £100-£120 off eBay and then a Kindle Fire HD 6" which for £79 is absolutely amazing, beautiful screen, very quick never lags and a real take me anywhere size, I have had one a week now and haven't touch my iPads(4 & mini), and a day after getting it my Wife asked me to sell her Samsung TAB 3 8" so she could get one.. but still no replacement for a laptop

hootsmon said:

^ I see it's a mini usb input,but with an adaptor could I watch my breaking (usb) bad on this thing?

I can plug usb sticks in to my Nexus 7 with an OTG (On The Go) adaptor. Couple of squids off amazon. I was able to get all my camera photos on to my N7 when I was away on holiday, then back them up online.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
    Nexus9 looks interesting but it's likely to be over £300 in the UK apparently
    thank ewe stew
    tae be or not tae be
    edited October 2014

http://www.amazon.co.uk/aLLreli®-Motorola-Samsung-Edition-Android/dp/B0064GZAIQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413917632&sr=8-2&keywords=otg+cable

£2.98, plus you'll need the Nexus Media Importer app which is £2.62 in the Play Store. £5.60 all in and you've converted your Nexus to take external memory!

wow waaaay tae go
    tae be or not tae be
    Only thing to note is that you have to import files to the tablet. I don't think you can play directly from the USB stick (though I could be wrong). I used mine to import photos for editing and then uploading.
    oh that's a bummer
    tae be or not tae be
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    DiscoStu;387672" said:
    hootsmon said:

I can plug usb sticks in to my Nexus 7 with an OTG (On The Go) adaptor. Couple of squids off amazon. I was able to get all my camera photos on to my N7 when I was away on holiday, then back them up online.
    Tesco are selling usb drives with full size usb one side and mini usb the other side, £10 odd, they are great plug in to laptop to fill using full size usb and the plug straight into phone/tablet using mini usb, I bought a couple to watch films on a plane in the summer.