Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tablets. What's good?

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    DiscoStu said:
    Only thing to note is that you have to import files to the tablet. I don't think you can play directly from the USB stick (though I could be wrong). I used mine to import photos for editing and then uploading.
    That's still pretty fit though. Fits fit fit!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6914
    We have a Samsung Galaxy and an iPad. I'm no Apple fanboy but the iPad pisses on the Samsung. It's much slicker and more responsive to use. The downside being it costs twice as much...

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I had a cheap Chinese tablet 2 years ago that could play files from usb drive using OTG cable so I'd be amazed if the nexus 7 couldn't.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    underdog said:
    DiscoStu;387672" said:
    hootsmon said:

^ I see it's a mini usb input,but with an adaptor could I watch my breaking (usb) bad on this thing?

I can plug usb sticks in to my Nexus 7 with an OTG (On The Go) adaptor. Couple of squids off amazon. I was able to get all my camera photos on to my N7 when I was away on holiday, then back them up online.
    Tesco are selling usb drives with full size usb one side and mini usb the other side, £10 odd, they are great plug in to laptop to fill using full size usb and the plug straight into phone/tablet using mini usb, I bought a couple to watch films on a plane in the summer.

I saw those too, pretty nifty.
    My V key is broken
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5584
    underdog said:
    Tesco are selling usb drives with full size usb one side and mini usb the other side, £10 odd, they are great plug in to laptop to fill using full size usb and the plug straight into phone/tablet using mini usb, I bought a couple to watch films on a plane in the summer.

This thing?
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/transcend-8gb-jetflash-380-usb-flash-drive-silver-plating/737-9592.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=737-9592

There's a 32Gb version on amazon for £13.13!

DiscoStu;387754" said:
    underdog said:

This thing?

http://www.tesco.com/direct/transcend-8gb-jetflash-380-usb-flash-drive-silver-plating/737-9592.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=737-9592

There's a 32Gb version on amazon for £13.13!
    I had this one http://www.tesco.com/direct/tdk-2-in-1-micro-usb-drive-16gb/714-1652.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=714-1652

In fact they were 3 for 2 so had 3 of them.
  • For what it's worth, the next version of Android (5.0, L or Lollipop depending on who you listen to) has low-latency audio support and can use external USB audio interfaces.
    <space for hire>
    edited October 2014
    @hootsmon @underdog
    Good times! I just tried playing directly from my USB stick and it works no problem through Nexus Media Importer!
    I even recordered it for you to see!

Now I fancy one of those cable-free drives that we've just been talking about...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24559
    Depends on what kind of a buzz you're after.  Solpadeine and co-codamol will mess you up.  Never do more than 4 grams of Paracetamol in 24h - it's a very dangerous tablet.  Tramadol.... now that's a tablet of choice.  Nice buzz bu...

Oh... you're talking about computers.....

Ahem.

Carry on.... 

:-)
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16020

cooool Stu  :)

wee bit OT here......

a friend of the wife says she could give me her NETFLIX password and I would be able tae watch shit on my Virgin TV network.....is that true/legal?

tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:

cooool Stu  :)

wee bit OT here......

a friend of the wife says she could give me her NETFLIX password and I would be able tae watch shit on my Virgin TV network.....is that true/legal?

Don't see why not? You can log in to your Netflix account anywhere so as long as she's happy to give you her login details then I reckon you're good to go!
    I get 'free' Sky through my Xbox Live Gold account. My ex's family added my console to their Sky account so I watch it for hee-haw!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17730
    tFB Trader
    I work for a company that develops mobile so I get to try loads of stuff. 

My advice would be:

If what you want to do is web browsing and emails then you might just as well have an Android tablet or an iPad they are both fairly similar in that regard (provided you get a good Android tablet).

If you want music software, games, or the widest variety of good apps then you should get an iPad. You will also have the additional advantage of more software updates and good resale value should you need it.

If you get an iPad then don't get the first gen Mini, but any of the others would be a good buy. 

If you want an Android device your best bet is a Nexus as you get stock Android without it being dicked about with and you get software updates. There is a massive difference between decent Android devices and the dodgy Chinese tat so don't be tempted to get something from a brand you've never heard of. I haven't tried the more recent stuff, but Asus tend to make decent products.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    monquixote;387842" said:
    I work for a company that develops mobile so I get to try loads of stuff. 

My advice would be:

If what you want to do is web browsing and emails then you might just as well have an Android tablet or an iPad they are both fairly similar in that regard (provided you get a good Android tablet).

If you want music software, games, or the widest variety of good apps then you should get an iPad. You will also have the additional advantage of more software updates and good resale value should you need it.

If you get an iPad then don't get the first gen Mini, but any of the others would be a good buy. 

If you want an Android device your best bet is a Nexus as you get stock Android without it being dicked about with and you get software updates. There is a massive difference between decent Android devices and the dodgy Chinese tat so don't be tempted to get something from a brand you've never heard of. I haven't tried the more recent stuff, but Asus tend to make decent products.
    Disagree with that bit, in all fields there is an unknown brand (relatively) that produces the goods. Guitar wise we have Yamaha for example. I bought a Chinese tablet made by Ainol (tee hee) 2 years ago and for the money it bettered anything made by the big brands after a firmware update.

If course you will be on safer ground with a know brand (that is also made in China)
    digitalscream;387780" said:
    For what it's worth, the next version of Android (5.0, L or Lollipop depending on who you listen to) has low-latency audio support and can use external USB audio interfaces.
    Seems it has got it and it works, that really is great news.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Eric Jr suggests the Nvidia Shield tablet. Just over budget.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17730
    tFB Trader
    I'm not saying all of the Chinese tablet brands are shit. A few of them are Nexus 7 clones (Hisense Sero Pro for example), but a lot of them are utter garbage, just unspeakably bad.

I'm well aware that 99% of tablets (including iPads) are made in China.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    underdog said:
    digitalscream;387780" said:
    For what it's worth, the next version of Android (5.0, L or Lollipop depending on who you listen to) has low-latency audio support and can use external USB audio interfaces.
    Seems it has got it and it works, that really is great news.

Finally!  That was one of the big things which made me jump ship and move over to the iThing side after years of waiting for Android to sort out the bloody horrendous audio system which was a completely botched mess.

Whether it's too little too late to get any serious music software developers on board, I don't know - the fruity side has a loooooong head start in that side of things and has a very firm hold (well, a complete monopoly really!) on that market.  

Roughly on topic - got a Chinese no name Android tablet from eBay for my sister last week, and it's absolutely superb - quad core, latest version of Kit Kat, 10.1" screen, nicely built, runs smooth as anything and only cost £56 delivered.  At that price, it was almost worth taking the risk even if it ended up only being good for a really large drinks coaster.  Absolutely zero customer support, of course, but that's apparently what I'm for!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • None of those that I'm taking. They don't get you off at all.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited October 2014
    Didn't know about the audio enhancements in Lollipop until this thread.
    From the Android site:

• Lower latency audio input ensuring that music and communication applications that have strict delay requirements provide an amazing realtime experience
    • Multi-channel audio stream mixing means professional audio applications can now mix up to eight channels including 5.1 and 7.1 channels
    • USB Audio support means you can plug USB microphones, speakers, and a myriad of other USB audio devices like amplifiers and mixers into your Android device

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7231
    edited October 2014
    I like a couple of codeine before bed to take the edge off....

Failing that, I can't see past iPads. I have the air. One consideration re budget would be taking out a contract? - got my mrs one from 3.