PRS - tell me more..

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    Whilst I'm sure PRS are great guitars, I cant think of any guitarists using them that have made music with them I would want to hear, with exception of Steve Austin.
    I would think most people have an album with either Brent Mason or David Grissom playing on them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    Reverend said:
    Whilst I'm sure PRS are great guitars, I cant think of any guitarists using them that have made music with them I would want to hear, with exception of Steve Austin.
    I would think most people have an album with either Brent Mason or David Grissom playing on them.
    Really?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I spent much of the 90s being sceptical about PRS, mainly becuase of the lawyer/dentist image, even when I got my first PRS in 2002, a Custom 22, I didnt keep it long as I have an outstanding early Eggle Berlin that filled the same role, but I did recognise the outstanding build quality. The turning point was when I bought a McCarty Soapbar Standard to satisfy my P90 need and fell in love with a n outstanding guitar. A McCarty model soon followed then a Swmap Ash Special, an original Starla an SE One and recently a McCarty Hollowbody i, so I have 6 PRS now. Why? Well not just build quality, but tone. I just dont get comments re PRS lacking character, I love mine and the McCartys and the SEOne have killed any urge I have to owna Gibson; the SAS is Fendery and the Starla has distinct Gretsch links. I would like to own a great Fender at some point, but right now, I prefer my Levinson Blades to anything that Fender produce. Tom Andersons - now there are guitars that I find soul less and lacking any character in their tone. i havent played that many and they have great build quality, but their lack of tonal character leaves me cold. So its not as if I like all "modern" guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    Reverend said:

And dare I mention Carlos Santana?

Plus Mark Tremonti, Dave Navarro, Steven Wilson, the guys from Opeth.... whether or not that's music you want to hear I can't say.

Philly_Q;390172" said:
    monquixote said:

Reverend said:

And dare I mention Carlos Santana?Plus Mark Tremonti, Dave Navarro, Steven Wilson, the guys from Opeth.... whether or not that's music you want to hear I can't say.
    I was warming to the PRS idea, now you've blown it with that lot!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    edited October 2014

Ooops!

Errr..... Dan Donegan???!?

(when he didn't have a deal with Schecter, Washburn or whoever the hell it is now)

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited October 2014
    p90fool;390186" said:
    Lol.

The trouble is, they can never compete on the 'classic recording' front. PRS himself openly admits this.

A modern Les Paul Traditional is made out of different materials, in a different factory, using different machinery, by different people, than the similar looking guitars that the Claptons/Pages/Greens of this world played. The same is broadly true of a Standard Strat - they are roughly the same shape and have a similar sound to the guitars that were used on countless records - but have no more of a connection to Leo Fender's business than Tokai - other that country of origin.

Given the disconnection between these guitars and their inspiration, I'm not sure it's that big a leap to accept the superior ergonomics of a more modern design - be that a PRS, a Music Man - or whatever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    p90fool said:
    Reverend said:
    Really?!
    Well if you like anything countryish or blues I expect you do. 
    I think Brent Mason is supposed to be the most prolific session man in history. 

I should have also added in Paul Jackson Jr who played with Michael Jackson, Elton John, Luther Vandross, Daft Punk, James Brown, Randy Crawford, Barry Manilow, Patrice Rushen, George Benson, Smokey Robinson, Rod Stewart, Whitney Houston, Leonard Cohen, Aretha Franklin, Janet Jackson, Donna Summer, BB King, Steely Dan, Dr John, Ella Fitzgerald, Madonna, Chicago, Stevie Wonder, Tom Jones, The Isley Brothers and loads of others. 

One of my all time favorite players.

You also have Al Di Meola, Alex Lifeson, Bernie Marsden and Marty Friedman, 

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Basically Mclauglin and Di Meola. Both play PRS. Both have more musicality in each finger than all of the wannabe of so cool brand whores. If you can't get a decent tone out of a PRS then it's probably time to examine your playing, cos it ain't the guitar that's wrong...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 407
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

Plus Mark Tremonti, Dave Navarro, Steven Wilson, the guys from Opeth.... whether or not that's music you want to hear I can't say.

Tom Johnston...

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 407
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

Tom Johnston...

Evilmags;390216" said:
    Basically Mclauglin and Di Meola. Both play PRS. Both have more musicality in each finger than all of the wannabe of so cool brand whores.
    I'd honestly rather listen to Tom Waits beat fuck out of a Danelectro than listen to anything either those two show off machine gunners have ever produced tbh.

McLaughlin has been accused of many things, but "musicality" is a new one on me.

If not playing a PRS makes a player a "brand whore" then that includes everybody I've ever wanted to listen to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431

With the 29% increase on Gibson the "elitist" reputation of the PRS guitars will die soon. Actually if you look at the used market there are bargains to be had with the McCartys and Singlecuts.

My experience is that they have a different vibe to Gibson, they are not as fat.

You see them more and more on the gigging circuit, must be for a reason?

• welshboyo;389657" said:
    The Soul/Mojo that some report as missing from PRS is down to the fact that they are built so well you don't get the inconsistency you get with Fender/Gibson..

A Gibson or a Fender with this so called "mojo" is often just a guitar thats been built half decent and plays/feels better than the one that just rolled of the factory line before/after it ...

PRS's are just consistently well built and have high standards QC so you don't get the "mojo/build quality" element to compare between similar models..
    That said...

There was a chap on here recently who bought a 3 grand prs and one of the tuners was missing a screw, and that got through qc.

Heh Heh.

I am inclined to agree though.
  • ThePrettyDamned;390261" said:

There was a chap on here recently who bought a 3 grand prs and one of the tuners was missing a screw, and that got through QC.
    More likely I suspect, the shop took it for a repair job.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    p90fool;390186" said:
    Lol.

The trouble is, they can never compete on the 'classic recording' front. PRS himself openly admits this.

A modern Les Paul Traditional is made out of different materials, in a different factory, using different machinery, by different people, than the similar looking guitars that the Claptons/Pages/Greens of this world played. The same is broadly true of a Standard Strat - they are roughly the same shape and have a similar sound to the guitars that were used on countless records - but have no more of a connection to Leo Fender's business than Tokai - other that country of origin.

Given the disconnection between these guitars and their inspiration, I'm not sure it's that big a leap to accept the superior ergonomics of a more modern design - be that a PRS, a Music Man - or whatever.
    Add to that PRS actually bought the machines that used to make the pickups in Gibson's golden era !

One can argue that the modern PRS with the 57/08 is closer to the Gibson of that era than Gibson current does.
  • I notice here are no string trees on the PRS headstocks - there's a slight tilt to the head. 
    With Gibson the tilt results in many a cracked neck - why not so for PRS?
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 691
    Well it certainly says that. I also says I said something pointless on a PRS thread! I was actually musing on the Les Paul comparison but completely failed to register what I was commenting on. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Loobs said:
    That you like Fernandes Revelles?

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited October 2014
    Les paul guitars increase your sexual desirability by between 80 and 100 percent.

Got to say, Les Pauls do look the business!!

I might be mental. I bought two new PRS at significant cost (one a 2013 Experience model and the other a 2014 Wood Library model). I honestly don't regret it at all!! In future I'd look at getting a startling green Artist model with Brazilian neck... or just go for something off ebay. They play a dream, look the business, don't weight too much, they're gig-ready - just awesome! 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited October 2014
    welshboyo;389657" said:
    The Soul/Mojo that some report as missing from PRS is down to the fact that they are built so well you don't get the inconsistency you get with Fender/Gibson..

A Gibson or a Fender with this so called "mojo" is often just a guitar thats been built half decent and plays/feels better than the one that just rolled of the factory line before/after it ...

PRS's are just consistently well built and have high standards QC so you don't get the "mojo/build quality" element to compare between similar models..
    That said...

There was a chap on here recently who bought a 3 grand prs and one of the tuners was missing a screw, and that got through qc.

Heh Heh.

I am inclined to agree though.
    That was me! In fairness, I got in touch and it's all getting delivered - apart from that, the guitar is astounding. I really should do a video/recording. I also got in touch with their technical department and they were very helpful. 

Here they are - I love them! Never plan on selling them (cost just over £5k for both and would probably get half that going by resale values - a crime!). I've a Torero I'm trying to shift (which admittedly plays amazingly well but I don't want a floyd/EMGs anymore) and I've thought about getting a CE/SE as a cheaper backup:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom