Kingsley range explainer?

What's Hot

Comments

• dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 598
    I liked so much I have also gone for a second one with the last mode position on an additional footswitch too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 350
    JohnPerry said:
    I had a Page a few years back and loved it. I seem to recall though that dialling the gain to break-up levels added a lot of volume to a clean tone unless the Page's volume control was dialled back to only a little above zero. 

Out of interest is that so with the TS? 
    That’s interesting and not something I’ve seen come up in the research I’ve done. I’ve just placed my order and my Page will ship next week. 

In your experience, how would the functionality you describe affect an at-home player? I’m buying the Page to add a “tiny bit crunchy” sweetener to my base sound, expecting it to be an always-on pedal. Is that possible without a massive db boost? I assume the gain knob drives the tube, but does it act like a NMV amp which would mean less tonal impact with the volume low to compensate for the db boost? Does that make sense? 

I of course don’t mind a jump in volume, that comes with the territory. To give context I’m buying this to compare vs the boost side of my Dane, which can be a bit over the top for at home playing. I’ve got to run the boost level at 9:00 or below on the Dane for reasonable home use. 
  • BradBrad Frets: 676
    I liked so much I have also gone for a second one with the last mode position on an additional footswitch too
    You’re causing me a problem here Dan :wink:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 677
    I found the Page TS had something missing and whilst you could get close you couldn't get the v2 sound exactly so I moved it on.  Simon has been doing a new custom model called a Watchman which (over simplifying I imagine) is a Page with a bit more gain and low/high knobs replacing the lows switch and tone knob. Still has the mode switch. I have one and I really like it so maybe that if you are happy to order and wait.
    Maybe missed it somewhere, but what does the Mode switch do? 

• everesteverest Frets: 8
    I found the Page TS had something missing and whilst you could get close you couldn't get the v2 sound exactly so I moved it on.  Simon has been doing a new custom model called a Watchman which (over simplifying I imagine) is a Page with a bit more gain and low/high knobs replacing the lows switch and tone knob. Still has the mode switch. I have one and I really like it so maybe that if you are happy to order and wait.

Assuming it's the same as the Page, "The mode switch provides mid-boost, bright boost and fat boost modes"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    everest said:

Assuming it's the same as the Page, "The mode switch provides mid-boost, bright boost and fat boost modes"
    Well, I have a Page and it doesn’t have a mode switch. It has a switch for lows and a switch for highs. This is why I was curious
    Mode switch positions 1 and 2 are the same as "Highs" modes 1 and 2 on the Page and the 3rd position on the "Mode" switch on the Watchman adds additional gain and bass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    everest said:

Well, I have a Page and it doesn’t have a mode switch. It has a switch for lows and a switch for highs. This is why I was curious
    Yeah Page v1 had the Mode switch, Page v2 has Lows and Highs
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • everesteverest Frets: 8
    Sorry, my bad. The watchman sounds grand so I had a look and found this post with a few more details: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/the-kingsley-pedal-club.1866198/page-1547#post-38297221

It's interesting that the lows control is the special one from the Mason
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 382
    @dangriffiths Can the Watchman sound exactly like the Page?

Have you directly compared them?

I’m on the list for a second Page (I should get an email next week!) but if the Watchman can do everything the Page does, & more, it might be a more sensible  :) option for me. 

I haven't directly compared but from memory my ears say yes. Simon also says yes too and he might be more reliable!
    I haven't directly compared but from memory my ears say yes. Simon also says yes too and he might be more reliable!
    Well I’ve asked him, so we’ll see what his current view is. Just hoping the list hasn’t gone bonkers since he was on TPS last week… 
    From Simon overnight: 
    The Watchman sounds just like a regular Page, except it has a touch more gain on tap, an input impedance control (labeled "Lows" - it also works very effectively as a bass control) and it has a 3rd position on the Highs or Mode switch. This 3rd position adds low end and a bit more gain.

So my only remaining question is whether I would be better off with the slightly more-featured pedal, or just another one of the things I already know I love... 

Well I’ve asked him, so we’ll see what his current view is. Just hoping the list hasn’t gone bonkers since he was on TPS last week… 
    Was he? Which episode?
    Was he? Which episode?
    He popped up in VCQs last week or the one before - not sure if he also did a main ep, or maybe filmed one at the same time but it hasn't released yet. 
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 382
    From Simon overnight: 
    The Watchman sounds just like a regular Page, except it has a touch more gain on tap, an input impedance control (labeled "Lows" - it also works very effectively as a bass control) and it has a 3rd position on the Highs or Mode switch. This 3rd position adds low end and a bit more gain.

So my only remaining question is whether I would be better off with the slightly more-featured pedal, or just another one of the things I already know I love... 

That’s pretty much my predicament too!

The Page is perfect but I like the idea of the extra features. I’m just not sure I need them.

I think it’s $180 extra for the Watchman, so there’s also that to consider!

Bear in mind the impedance control only works when the pedal is first in the chain, without any buffers before it. It operates as a bass control otherwise.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16156
    edited June 18
    What you need is a custom Jester...does FOA AND pre amp stuff via flick of a swith...versatile and there just happens tae be one in the class.......

Oh, BTW that massive TGP thread on Kingsleys is mine 

SJ owes me a set of strings 
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16156
    edited June 18
    tae be or not tae be
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2458
    edited June 19
    breadfan said:
    From Simon overnight: 

That’s pretty much my predicament too!

The Page is perfect but I like the idea of the extra features. I’m just not sure I need them.

I think it’s $180 extra for the Watchman, so there’s also that to consider!

Bear in mind the impedance control only works when the pedal is first in the chain, without any buffers before it. It operates as a bass control otherwise.
    The Watchman sounds interesting for my needs as I had the Page but wanted it to do more. That said, I’m not sure I could justify an extra $180 for something I was already ambivalent about. Also, as wonderful as the Page sounds, part of me felt I was plugging into the front end of another (Kingsley?) amp rather than boosting my own. Something for me to think about, anyway.
    I've gone for a second Page. Figured I don't need more lows (usually have Lows off and Highs on and tone well above 12oclock) and the impedance control isn't going to do much because I usually run a Klone or Janray in front anyway