Chappers for the Pumpkins

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7366
    DefaultM said:
    My wife says that style is probably aimed at young people and will be a known way to get noticed on short form social media like YouTube shorts and TikTok. She’s got nearly a million followers so she’s probably right.
    Yea I think she probably is. It's probably akin to an actor playing a role. The online persona is cultivated for clicks and views, but she's probably more reserved and different in real life. 
    It’s always the problem I have. I’ve played hundreds of gigs but despite trying I’ve never managed to perform any kind of stage antics. I say to myself just play a character, that’s what they all do, but the only character I can come out with is the guitar playing robot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10593
    edited April 27 tFB Trader
    I agree. Old dudes on the Internet being needlessly critical of a young woman who's just had some success, and diminishing her achievements, achievements that might I add, make nearly all of us look like talentless hacks to just being about eye candy is not a good look.

Good luck to her. I look forward to seeing her silence her critics in Dublin in June. 
    Exactly this ... DrCornelius said:
    I agree. Old dudes on the Internet being needlessly critical of a young woman who's just had some success, and diminishing her achievements, achievements that might I add, make nearly all of us look like talentless hacks is not a good look.

Good luck to her. I look forward to seeing her in Dublin in June. 
    Its equality , the thread was started to have a go at Chappers (male), when the gig went to someone else (female) , footage of her coming across as shallow and annoying (imho) was criticised.

I think that’s progress - not calling that out would be sexist and patronising :-)
     ... and Rob Chapman is not shallow and annoying like pretty much all YouTube 'personalities'? Really???
    And the fact that in in your humble opinion (how come nobody who uses this expression is ever humble) Kiki Wong is shallow and annoying - could that be because Rob Chapman shares being aging, caucasian and male with you? 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10269
    DefaultM said:
    DefaultM said:
    My wife says that style is probably aimed at young people and will be a known way to get noticed on short form social media like YouTube shorts and TikTok. She’s got nearly a million followers so she’s probably right.
    Yea I think she probably is. It's probably akin to an actor playing a role. The online persona is cultivated for clicks and views, but she's probably more reserved and different in real life. 
    It’s always the problem I have. I’ve played hundreds of gigs but despite trying I’ve never managed to perform any kind of stage antics. I say to myself just play a character, that’s what they all do, but the only character I can come out with is the guitar playing robot. 
    Well I guess I'm as I am on stage (playing on a cornered off bit in a pub) as I am normally, silly, extroverted and don't take myself too seriously etc but if I'm wearing the wireless kit, and it's fairly busy I might walk into the audience with the guitar and dance with the public while playing. Sometimes it's great and people go a bit mad and it can be quite funny, but sometimes people don't see the guitar and just see some guy trying to dance with them and it's just an absolute fail :lol: 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7220
    edited April 27

I agree. Old dudes on the Internet being needlessly critical of a young woman who's just had some success, and diminishing her achievements, achievements that might I add, make nearly all of us look like talentless hacks is not a good look.

Its equality , the thread was started to have a go at Chappers (male), when the gig went to someone else (female) , footage of her coming across as shallow and annoying (imho) was criticised.

I think that’s progress - not calling that out would be sexist and patronising :-)
     ... and Rob Chapman is not shallow and annoying like pretty much all YouTube 'personalities'? Really???
    And the fact that in in your humble opinion (how come nobody who uses this expression is ever humble) Kiki Wong is shallow and annoying - could that be because Rob Chapman shares being aging, caucasian and male with you? 

Course Chappers is annoying - that’s why someone started the thread in the first place .

If you think that my giving a female you tube personality a bit of a gentle ribbing is sexist rather than in response to some truly annoying videos of her gurning in her underwear then you couldn’t be more wrong . 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 27 tFB Trader

Course Chappers is annoying - that’s why someone started the thread in the first place .

If you think that my giving a female you tube personality a bit of a gentle ribbing is sexist rather than in response to some truly annoying videos of her gurning in her underwear then you couldn’t be more wrong . 

Try as I might I can't find any videos of Kimi Wong in her underwear ... a bikini yes ... underwear no. No doubt you can provide links.
     If the 'gentle ribbing' were about her playing ability then fair enough ... but it appears to be about her clothing choice and facial expression ... that's what gurning means I believe ... and you would not be making those comments if she was male ... therefore your attitude is sexist whether you intend it to be or not. 
    So as not to be the 'sexist police' I got my wife to read back as far as Ms Wong's first mention in this thread, and I was relieved and at the same time saddened for the forum that the attitude of my Missus ... a respected music industry professional ... was 'Yep that's sexist'. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Try as I might I can't find any videos of Kimi Wong in her underwear ... a bikini yes ... underwear no. No doubt you can provide links.
     If the 'gentle ribbing' were about her playing ability then fair enough ... but it appears to be about her clothing choice and facial expression ... that's what gurning means I believe ... and you would not be making those comments if she was male ... therefore your attitude is sexist whether you intend it to be or not. 
    So as not to be the 'sexist police' I got my wife to read back as far as Ms Wong's first mention in this thread, and I was relieved and at the same time saddened for the forum that the attitude of my Missus ... a respected music industry professional ... was 'Yep that's sexist'. 

I’m going to leave it there , I know my own thought processes and there isn’t any hint of sexism involved whatsoever . Thank God I’ve got you to psychoanalyse me and let me know I wouldn’t make the same criticism of a bloke doing the same shit 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962

I'm not sure that's a particularly effective way to prove that you're [a] not the sexist police, or [b] right about labelling a comment  with an ill-defined and all too often knee jerk term. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6733
    edited April 28
    Guys, it's okay to find more than one guitar player irritating. 

She can clearly play and has a following. I hate all that OTT gurning too. I also hate Dave Mustaine from when he used to do embarrassing 'scary' gurning too.

But to quote the great Nigel Tunnel, 'what's wrong with being sexy?'

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6524
    CaseOfAce said:
    topdog91 said:
    Chappers, this is the level you needed to aspire to...

Almost unlistenable.
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there Dave ...
    It's not necessarily the kind of guitar playing I listen to or play... but that whammy bar dive 2/3rds in is just ....stupidly good.... wow... she's got mad skills. There's no question she can handle the material.

Oh yes, don’t get me wrong; she’s clearly a highly skilled player who is more than capable of the job in hand. I was speaking purely about that clip. Playing with such high gain and such commitment to each and every note and vibrato and whammy dive just comes across like someone TEXTING IN CAPITALS. 

Yes, she’s a great player but I personally found that particular clip almost unlistenable, is all. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    I think they made a mistake, should have gone this way

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/pzhGpK8AoQFr6xH4/
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1510
    edited April 28
    Do people have issues with the other women Corgan has had in his bands? Or just this one?

Because they have all worn revealing or tight clothing when performing too. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1438
    edited April 28
    C, Can I be part of the Sexist Police? Sounds awesome to me. Sting won't know what hit 'im.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    tFB Trader
    For those who think women should stand at the back in rock music and be covered and demure ... I'm afraid things have changed ...  
    https://youtu.be/wxtVqibxndg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Your are conflating the argument - no one said anything along those lines at all (as you know I’m sure). 

PS I showed one of the two videos posted of Ms Wong to my Mrs last night - the one of her miming to someone else’s tune in various outfits.

My wife is an HR manager for context and I respect her opinion at least ! (plus she’s a big pumpkins fan)

Her words ‘What was the @&;£)ing point of that ?  ‘

Anyway I promised I wouldn’t be drawn in any more . I do have a bit of a theory though that the generation after me grew up during a time of great social change and welcome progress . There is almost a feeling of guilt in some younger blokes over the way certain groups (and women in general) were marginalised and treated by previous generations .  This can sometimes lead to people aggressively picking battles that don’t really exist because of their desire to distance themselves from those outdated attitudes.

Of course I’m not for a minute insinuating that anyone here is doing that , it’s just in my very humble opinion ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Your are conflating the argument - no one said anything along those lines at all (as you know I’m sure). 

PS I showed one of the two videos posted of Ms Wong to my Mrs last night - the one of her miming to someone else’s tune in various outfits.

My wife is an HR manager for context and I respect her opinion at least ! (plus she’s a big pumpkins fan)

Anyway I promised I wouldn’t be drawn in any more . I do have a bit of a theory though that the generation after me grew up during a time of great social change and welcome progress . There is almost a feeling of guilt in some younger blokes over the way certain groups (and women in general) were marginalised and treated by previous generations .  This can sometimes lead to people aggressively picking battles that don’t really exist because of their desire to distance themselves from those outdated attitudes.

Of course I’m not for a minute insinuating that anyone here is doing that , it’s just in my very humble opinion ;-)
    Well I certainly don't count as a younger chap at 64 - but thanks for the thought 

Well I certainly don't count as a younger chap at 64 - but thanks for the thought 
    Ha , sorry don’t know why but I pictured you as around 35 in my head - probably because you said I was an ‘aging male’ so I assumed you were showing off !
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 725
    edited April 28

Her words ‘What was the @&;;;;;;;£)ing point of that ?  ‘

While I agree with your point in general, I think the response to "what was the point" is "why the hell not?" looks like she's thoroughly enjoying life, and good for her! 

I mean why does anyone make music, perform etc. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1139
    edited April 28
    I don't think anybody here ever said women should "stand at the back, be covered and be demure" (or anything even remotely along those lines)? There was mention of her being annoying though Women being at the front of bands scantily clad is old news. I don't think anyone even debated that and certainly wasn't the crux of people's statements. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Kurtis said:

Her words ‘What was the @&;;;;;;£)ing point of that ?  ‘

While I agree with your point in general, I think the response to "what was the point" is "why the hell not?" looks like she's enjoying life, and good for her! 

You are right of course but my point originally was that she came across as annoying in the 2 videos that were originally linked . As someone else said maybe this is the way to build a following nowadays
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 725
    edited April 28
    Kurtis said:

Her words ‘What was the @&;;;;;;;£)ing point of that ?  ‘

While I agree with your point in general, I think the response to "what was the point" is "why the hell not?" looks like she's enjoying life, and good for her! 

You are right of course but my point originally was that she came across as annoying in the 2 videos that were originally linked . As someone else said maybe this is the way to build a following nowadays
    No worries, it's just a matter of opinion. I don't find her annoying.