Rockboard LED Dampers - for your excessively bright LEDS

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24283

I quite like them!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    This is just down to lazy designers! When LEDs became cheap and common they were not very efficient and so you had to design for 5-10mA to get a decently bright light. Now you can get easily enough brightness with 200 micro amps! But the buggers can't be bothered to change the circuit values.
    Some years ago I roughed out a back o the Ev circuit that would make the LEDs in a bit of kit sensitive to ambient light. Sunlight...blazing. Dark stage not so much. Might get lazzy A into gear and have another 'speriment?

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    edited January 19
    PRS make LED dampers that actually improve the tone of the pedal. 

I can't afford them so I use masking tape. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ha! The LEDs on my Walrus Audio Monument are piercingly bright. Great pedal, but crikey it puts out a distracting amount of light.

Bought some LED dimming film from Amazon, comes in some pre-cut shapes. Dims them well, but occasionally falls off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    edited January 19
    Ha! The LEDs on my Walrus Audio Monument are piercingly bright. Great pedal, but crikey it puts out a distracting amount of light.

Bought some LED dimming film from Amazon, comes in some pre-cut shapes. Dims them well, but occasionally falls off.
    I have the exact same problem. My plan was to find some tubing with a bore equal to or slightly bigger than the LED mounts, place short pieces over the little buggers, and then fill them with candle wax - but can I hell find tubing of the right bore!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    Brown packaging tape on mine. Perfect attentuation of the brightest LED.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Keefy said:
    Ha! The LEDs on my Walrus Audio Monument are piercingly bright. Great pedal, but crikey it puts out a distracting amount of light.

I have the exact same problem. My plan was to find some tubing with a bore equal to or slightly bigger than the LED mounts, place short pieces over the little buggers, and then fill them with candle wax - but can I hell find tubing of the right bore!
    The panel holders you can get for LEDs should serve. They come in 'LED' sizes,..3mm, 5mm and so on.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ecc83 said:
    Keefy said:

The panel holders you can get for LEDs should serve. They come in 'LED' sizes,..3mm, 5mm and so on.

Dave.
    You, sir, are a frickin' genius!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7246
    edited January 20
    Hah!  I've used little stick-on covers for years, for this exact purpose and for loads of other uses around the house.

For LEDs that are flush or slightly recessed I use clear sticky domes that come in a flat strip and are intended for use as kitchen cabinet door slam buffers / bumpers, as little feet for things, or for preventing glass table tops from sliding.  Just search for adhesive rubber silicone bumper pad feet. They don't really dim the light a lot, but they diffuse it a bit.

White versions that look almost identical to the Rockboard / Warwick ones are readily available from non-musical retailers like these for particularly bright LEDs that need dimming:
    https://www.vital-parts.co.uk/self-adhesive-bumper-feet-665-p.asp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    I came in there thinking "nah this will be stupid" because you can just use a bit of masking tape. But honestly those little jewel bulb looking ones are neat and like $8 for 5 on reverb, which is fine.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    They are really good. And they started this thread....

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/206073/paying-it-forward
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Is this why Joe Bonamassa always wears sunglasses?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28259
    If the crew of the ISS can't tell which pedals you're using, get back in the sea. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Blu-tac and a plectrum, you can even colour co-ordinate
  • Ha! The LEDs on my Walrus Audio Monument are piercingly bright. Great pedal, but crikey it puts out a distracting amount of light.

Took a punt on the Rockboard dampers, first impressions are that they work well for the WA Monument and the JHS Unicorn. Snug fit around the LED mount (large size dampers). The Monument is still a bit bright for my liking, but I'm hoping they stay on better than the film I was using. Certainly look better.
    I ended up solving my retinal scorching problem by dripping candle wax over the offending LEDs.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I use a little blob of blu-tac
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    I've heard that a drop of glue from a hot glue gun works well. Not tried it though. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Its funny... I'm old enough to remember a thread about LEDs being too dim back in the day. 

I guess it depends on how dark your stages are (or bedroom is) but unless you are staring straight at your pedalboard all night (I'm looking at you Shoegazers) its a bit of a first world problem, nes pa?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TJT1979 said:
    I've heard that a drop of glue from a hot glue gun works well. Not tried it though. 

Well perhaps but if you read as many equipment reviews as I do you will know that once in a while this problem is cited and it can be a nuisance when the intensity of the LED 'blinds out' the settings on the equip
    impmann said:
    Its funny... I'm old enough to remember a thread about LEDs being too dim back in the day. 

I guess it depends on how dark your stages are (or bedroom is) but unless you are staring straight at your pedalboard all night (I'm looking at you Shoegazers) its a bit of a first world problem, nes pa?

Sorry cocked that up royally. Tired and a bit poorly.

Dave.

I'll try again! Re LEDs being "too dim" as I said earlier, yonks ago LEDs were expensive and inefficient. In mains powered kit they were run at 5mA or more and the limiting resistor calculated accordingly.
    LEDs have improved astronomically over the decades and become dirt cheap. However, they are still being run at 5mA+ and are too 'king bright.
    "First world problem" Maybe Mr I but when the LED wipes out the legends and switches beside it it is a PITA!

ONCE upon a time manufacturers LISTENED to reports from customers and reviewers. Now most of them just bang stuff out for profit.

Dave.