Do-all stage guitar

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
Does it exist? 

My priorities for live use right now are probably a mellow neck pickup, tele-middle sound, and rock bridge humbucker. And occasionally a Strat-in-between. 

Is this why fancy HSS guitars exist? And PRSes? Fuck 

Is there anything that does that stuff without looking really boring?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129

They’re twisted Telecaster neck pickup, with the bridge being tapped part way, then over wound. A five way superswitch gives: neck, neck and tapped bridge in parallel, tapped bridge, full bridge, both in series. As an added bonus my AxeFX has an acoustic simulation. Six sounds in total.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 183
    Hmmm I’d be thinking Nashville Telecaster, get a single coil size humbucker in the bridge, Strat pickup in the neck a la Jerry Donahue and then you still could get some good middle sounds and if it was double bound it would be a slick looking piece of wood! 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    So most likely something HSS or HSH with switching that lets you have neck and bridge together and most likely split, or combinations of split coils instead of the traditional Fender 5-way options.

Alternatively, I'd say I've been able to get all the sounds listed out of a PRS with a 5-way switch (split inner coils), or my Les Pauls with partial splits and switches to choose which coil is split to. But that's not always the quickest option.
    Tim
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Yeah I feel like the best option if I really wanted to go there would be a HSS Strat build using a super switch to give me specifically the combinations I wanted. But that feels so boring, even though it could make a phenomenal tool-guitar. 

I’d rather have something cool like a Firebird…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Going back 30 years or so, when PRS first came out - So many early 'players' were not dentist's or doctor's - But gigging musos - I've sold many Custom 22/24 models to full time/serious touring/working/gigging players who have chosen such a guitar because it does a professional job well - Trem works, no tuning issues, versatile tone package and can go from Chic to EVH in a wiggle of a switch

Maybe the be all and end all doesn't exists - But a PRS does a lot and does it well - Some might say jack of all trades and master of none, and maybe some truth in that - But when you are working in a West End pit you can't take 2/3/4 guitars with you - One guitar that does a lot is handy

Whilst the PRS 513 is not the best selling PRS some call it the Swiss Army Blade model - Personally a Custom 22 or DGT is the answer for a one guitar to do a lot with an original Swamp Ash not to far behind 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    Sounds like you need a Tele, with a stacked bridge pickup. Or possibly a Mike Stern Pacifica 1511MS or 1611MS.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494

Whilst the PRS 513 is not the best selling PRS some call it the Swiss Army Blade model - Personally a Custom 22 or DGT is the answer for a one guitar to do a lot with an original Swamp Ash not to far behind 
    Or ahead ;).

Mine is a first-version Swamp Ash Special trem model HSH with slightly modified switching - it can do all standard HH, SS and SSS sounds other than middle pickup alone. Hotter bridge pickup so it sounds like a Tele/Rickenbacker when split. Two knobs with push/push switches and one 3-way toggle so it’s easy to navigate. It can’t (yet) do the Jaguar bass-cut sound or anything out of phase, but I’m sometimes tempted to add one of those options.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Does it exist? 
    Probably not.

HSS, HSH and HH 5-way Superswitch circuits (PRS, Musicman, Ibanez et cetera) are all compromised in one respect or another.

Sometimes, you want a fixed bridge. Other times a vibrato. Sometimes a neck like a telegraph pole. Other times a waffur theen shred stick.

Vive la difference.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1306
    Wasn't the Baja tele meant to be that kind of thing? Lots of options with the switching. Not sure if it does all the things you listed though. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    This does it all for me

It’s an Ibanez Six6FD something or other but it’s a bloody good guitar that can be had for not much coin. The coil taps are really great and the pickups sing in all positions. 
    I originally bought this due to necessity for its body thickness but I’m finding I really enjoy everything about it. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
    Knopfler pursed that idea with the Pensa-Suhr thing, but that sounded like its own thing.

I have never been able to get convincing strat bridge+middle with a humbucker on the bridge position. 

I have never been able to get humbucker style tones with single coils on the bridge position or any non closely spaced combination of them in series or parallel.

I do not think such a guitar exists.

And if it does, please don't tell my wife.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Roland said:

They’re twisted Telecaster neck pickup, with the bridge being tapped part way, then over wound. A five way superswitch gives: neck, neck and tapped bridge in parallel, tapped bridge, full bridge, both in series. As an added bonus my AxeFX has an acoustic simulation. Six sounds in total.
    I couldnt take a guitarist seriously if I saw someone using that in a pub or at a function. Id probably even take a photo for the socials.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    Yeah I feel like the best option if I really wanted to go there would be a HSS Strat build using a super switch to give me specifically the combinations I wanted. But that feels so boring, even though it could make a phenomenal tool-guitar. 

A Firebird Studio with some push-pulls would probably be able to do all the sounds, but as I mentioned with my Les Pauls, getting to a given sound might not be as quick as the flick of a blade switch.
    Tim
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    … that feels so boring, even though it could make a phenomenal tool-guitar. 

In this context boring is good. You can always put custom body shapes and colours around it for looks, but good basic sounds and reliability trump everything else.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    studio.jpg 422.4K
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14033
    If you can find one...

Tele2.jpg 566.7K
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    edited February 13
    Variax, obvs. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    edited February 13
    No idea of these but they seem quite versatile on paper

https://uk.prsguitars.com/electrics/model/fiore_2023_2

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    @rlw ;
    I love the look of those S2 Studio models. Cracking colour btw, looks fantastic with the tortoiseshell scratchplate.