Do-all stage guitar

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Lebarque said:
    ES335
    I genuinely do think this is the most likely option.

off to Tokyo tomorrow…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    This has been one of my favourite builds and it does just about everything, it's got a split coil and blend pot which balances the humbucker so we'll, it does loads tbh and I love the bridge humbucker, it's a beast cranked.

That probably won't be for everyone, but I absolutely love it.  Looks like it would be super-versatile as well.  You couldn't fail to look ACAF with that on a strap.  And the colour really sets it off.

Vive la difference!
    People need to play these before making judgements got @earwighoney off teles and strats with my blue pugilist and Keith from Xander and the Peace Pirates off his strat, thats not easy, hopefully shubs will chime in with his opinion.

It's all I want to play pretty much in various pickup combos, if I had to choose one it would be this, it's been bloody fantastic to play and what a sound it makes.

Here's a heavy tone clip 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2Xxs2BSlYz/?igsh=MWkyamxxNGZmcjBxZw==
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Surely Tom Anderson and Tyler had this down in the past 
    The Tom Anderson Switcheroo was pretty versatile 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14033
    ^^ Now I like it even more :-(

It's a lot more compact than I expected too - looks really comfortable.  And that neck...
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:

It's a lot more compact than I expected too - looks really comfortable.  And that neck...
    That's the trouble everything else just feels like strumming a brick, I stopped playing single cuts because of this.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    edited February 15
    Offset said:

I've got Darren's first Pugilist.  At the lower bout, it's smaller than a Strat.

Here is a picture of mine.

My one is all Obeche. It weighs just over 6lbs.  Two quite similar but different pickups, Firebird in the neck and Mojo Staple Bucker in the neck. 

It's my most versatile guitar, by a country mile.  My old Teles, Strats, LP's seem a bit cumbersome in comparison, but YMMV. The staple bucker is a humbucker take on the staple P90, but it might sound a bit wayward but I think it is a bit like a Tele bridge pickup, but without the hum.  The neck pickup is a Firebird, which I have seen compared as a Strat pickup on steroids but I think it's got a bit more presence in the mids than that description.  Both pickups combined have a lot of interesting and complex sounds within them.

The staple bucker is an odd one in particular as it is one of the few humbuckers I have used that works really well with my Muff fuzz pedals.

(sorry I can't get the photos to show!)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    jdbwales said:
    In my experience, my LP Custom with partial coil splits does everything except trem stuff - I’ve recently got an Ibanez RG which covers everything else, including some lovely Strat type sounds. Honestly most punters absolutely do not care as long as you’ve got a big rock sound, a clean twangy or sweet sound, and some trem action on special occasions. Anything else is guitarist dick measuring stuff, which to be fair is kind of the point of the forum.
    Yeah I feel like a 2 HB guitar with decent splits is probably all the versatility you need unless you really need/want the awful out of phase strat sounds. I always got by fine with a LP or SG in the various cover bands I've played with over the years. Even without splits, I think 50s wiring or a good treble bleed can thin the sound out enough to get enough twang/chime for cleaner stuff.
  • Well, if you need those awful out of phase strat sounds, then you damn well need them. As I did. So, good and all as the DGT splits are, and they are very good, I’m finding HSS simply covers more of the ground I like to be in. 

Interesting suggestion of 335 though. While I had one I was very impressed with what the four knobs could do. But I was less impressed with the size and weight of it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited February 17
    Ok so ignoring all of the above I just played these and it’s basically game over… 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    The old Jerry Donahue Telecaster was a versatile beast 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    A Bigsby is in many ways the ideal trem, because it can't do widdly dive bombs. ;) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
    edited February 17
    This.....  

https://i.imgur.com/5UNN6oM.jpg

pull pot adds bridge, so it can rock on the bridge, the neck can be mellow, tele and strat inbetween sounds are there - just a little fuller than a real tele/strat.  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Sporky said:
    A Bigsby is in many ways the ideal trem, because it can't do widdly dive bombs. ;) 
    No - although if you fit a taller spring it can get surprisingly close - but it has the largest bend range of any vibrato… limited only by string breakage :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein