What's Hot

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3810
    rlw said:

I was going to say 'Studio 22'.  I have the core version

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Yorkie said:

I have never been able to get convincing strat bridge+middle with a humbucker on the bridge position.
    Surprisingly on my Swamp Ash Special, the more convincing ‘Strat’ bridge/middle is with the humbucker *not* split. I’m not entirely sure why, but I think the spacing of the coils is more important than the type of pickup. It’s not exactly the same as a real Strat, but it’s easily close enough to work with a band.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1122
    rlw said:
    I was thinking along these lines
  • steersteer Frets: 1233
    edited February 13
    This is a guitarists perceived problem. When your sound is sat in a mix with drums, bass, keys etc, then perhaps 2 or 3% of the audience will notice a discernible difference between the sound that 2 different electric guitars make (most of that 2 or 3% will be fellow guitarists).
    But, if this thread encourages someone to buy another guitar, then I am all for it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited February 13
    My 2002 PRS Cu24 does pretty much all of that and is my main gigging guitar. Great trem, fast locking tuners, lovely neck (mine's the wide-thin), great weight, very comfy to play, just really well made and sounds great. So much easier than having to change guitars several times during a gig.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    grungebob said:
    This does it all for me

It’s an Ibanez Six6FD something or other but it’s a bloody good guitar that can be had for not much coin. The coil taps are really great and the pickups sing in all positions. 
    I originally bought this due to necessity for its body thickness but I’m finding I really enjoy everything about it. 
    Nice guitars, I had the blue one for a while.

Do you not miss a tone pot though?  I did.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Honestly?

CS Lifeson Axcess sig.

Coil split, wonderful acoustic piezo, powerful HBs when you need...got everything. Justin Derrico uses one for everything in the P!nk shows.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Ibanez AZ2402 will do all those sounds well

I did a partscaster with a 3 way switch, just to make things as easy as possible on stage. The positions are bridge on its own, neck + middle, and neck on its own. There's a push pull for middle pos in or out of phase, and another to change middle pos to middle pickup on its own. And a killswitch because I'm basically a child. You could cover your bases with something similar I'm sure

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    StefB said:
    grungebob said:
    This does it all for me

It’s an Ibanez Six6FD something or other but it’s a bloody good guitar that can be had for not much coin. The coil taps are really great and the pickups sing in all positions. 
    I originally bought this due to necessity for its body thickness but I’m finding I really enjoy everything about it. 
    Nice guitars, I had the blue one for a while.

Do you not miss a tone pot though?  I did.
    Not really, as it doesn’t have treble bleed and that the pickups are pokey just the smallest of turn downs on the volume pot darkens it up enough. 
    I do think though that if I could find another I’d look to refinish it and maybe add a 3 postion tone switch. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    edited February 13
    The Music Man Steve Morse signature is super-versatile.  Complicated though... I watched a few videos about it and I think if you put all the switches in the down position you get the bridge humbucker.

(No coil splits though, and the Fender switch is only a three-way.)

Steve Morse on His Ernie Ball Music Man Signature - YouTube
  • roberty said:

I did a partscaster with a 3 way switch, just to make things as easy as possible on stage. The positions are bridge on its own, neck + middle, and neck on its own. There's a push pull for middle pos in or out of phase, and another to change middle pos to middle pickup on its own. And a killswitch because I'm basically a child. You could cover your bases with something similar I'm sure

Maybe the OP didn't specifically mention it, but a neck is probably high on the list of "must haves" for a do-it-all guitar ;)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    roberty said:

Maybe the OP didn't specifically mention it, but a neck is probably high on the list of "must haves" for a do-it-all guitar ;)
    I knew I was going wrong somewhere
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited February 14
    No idea of these but they seem quite versatile on paper

https://uk.prsguitars.com/electrics/model/fiore_2023_2

They're also quite versatile in one's hands
    Fabulous guitar and pull up the middle control to bring in the neck pickup with others and get you a pseudo Tele.
    Positions 2 and 4 and quackier than a 513
    Pull up the last control to do from Parallel to Series.

The Brent Mason is also very good and for a simpler affair, a DGT and you won't go wrong with an SE one, either. However, how about one of these and it's not a new concept but it sounds good

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • https://youtu.be/VEzUvAm9JRE?si=d-gNSNTxMF5g7YU9

From about 59 seconds on for the sounds demo. 24 fret HH guitar of your choice and this wiring for all hum cancelling options. Alternatively wire the 5 way as below and wire options to partial split pos 1+5 for your bridge or neck single tones

• stickyfiddle said: Does it exist? My priorities for live use right now are probably a mellow neck pickup, tele-middle sound, and rock bridge humbucker. And occasionally a Strat-in-between.

Is this why fancy HSS guitars exist? And PRSes? Fuck. Is there anything that does that stuff without looking really boring?

A decent HSH Strat can be a good all-round workhorse - mellow neck HB, twangy middle SC and punchy bridge HB is a great combo. I was never able to get my live rig down to less than 4 guitars, though, not least due to using several different tunings along with a bunch of 7-string stuff. Haydn Williams' Evo model is about as good an HSH as you can get your hands on, though even a decent Mex strat will do the job with good pickups (I recommend Iron Gears - Blues Engine neck, Texas Loco middle and Dirty Torque or overwound Rolling Mill in the bridge).
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
    edited February 13
    ICBM said:
    Yorkie said:

I have never been able to get convincing strat bridge+middle with a humbucker on the bridge position.
    I’m not entirely sure why, but I think the spacing of the coils is more important than the type of pickup.
    Yes, absolutely agree. One of my strats has a middle pickup wound to tele neck specs, with a darker and more powerful tone, etc; nevertheless, the guitar sounds like a proper strat. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• snowblindsnowblind Frets: 582
    You don't fancy something a bit more esoteric?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ac/1f/36/ac1f36bc7c77aea686b80fa97316e041.jpg
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • Ibanez RG550 or a Jem 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Suhr Pete Thorn? Or something HH or HSH with Thornbuckers/other pickups that split well? They seem like pretty versatile pickups, always sounds great when Pete uses the split tones in demos too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom