What's Hot

Comments

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1026
    For those who miss the Jingles

www.sidthemanager.co.uk/

“Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24349
    I loved his show in the 80's - it was required listening.  Not really my cup of tea as I got older, but thanks for the fun Steve.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    Diamond Geezer. Great show end of 80's. RIP.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5762
    Like him or not, he was the definition of consummate professional in the world of broadcasting and his like will not be seen again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I felt like he passed when he came off air last year .......he was one of those background voices that formed a general panorama to your everyday life ...like next door's dog barking ,a police siren in the distance or a hum from the fridge .....he just existed alongside your normality and I missed him in the background as the passenger in my car .
    I didn't always pay much attention to him nor hang on his every word but he was part of my life's scenery on good days,bad days ,wet days and hard days .He was the young Turk back when Jimmy Young was in his Heyday ( before Vine even learnt to ride a bike )
    I grew from boy to man with his afternoon silliness in the 80's to his annoying singalong style of autumn years .I loved his big show theme song and found his voice smooth,soothing and unaffected ......and even in the latter years he would occaisionally say something that was very funny indeed .
    He looked like he was wearing one of those false nose,glasses and beard combos and he truly had a face for radio but he was incredibly good at it and the voice .....he sounded like a suave ,handsome Brad Pitt in his best suit should sound .
    Bless him ......overall probably the best radio Jock there has been.......he revolutionised radio shows and people like Chris Evans copied his formula .
    Why couldn't it have been Vine ?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    I felt like he passed when he came off air last year .......he was one of those background voices that formed a general panorama to your everyday life ...like next door's dog barking ,a police siren in the distance or a hum from the fridge .....he just existed alongside your normality and I missed him in the background as the passenger in my car .
    I didn't always pay much attention to him nor hang on his every word but he was part of my life's scenery on good days,bad days ,wet days and hard days .He was the young Turk back when Jimmy Young was in his Heyday ( before Vine even learnt to ride a bike )
    I grew from boy to man with his afternoon silliness in the 80's to his annoying singalong style of autumn years .I loved his big show theme song and found his voice smooth,soothing and unaffected ......and even in the latter years he would occaisionally say something that was very funny indeed .
    He looked like he was wearing one of those false nose,glasses and beard combos and he truly had a face for radio but he was incredibly good at it and the voice .....he sounded like a suave ,handsome Brad Pitt in his best suit should sound .
    Bless him ......overall probably the best radio Jock there has been.......he revolutionised radio shows and people like Chris Evans copied his formula .
    Why couldn't it have been Vine ?
    I don’t think he’ll get a finer tribute. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very very very sad  another great loss used to love his afternoon show remember it from around 1982 onwards he was always mentioned at work & in the pub & was a cultural icon at the time 
    R.I.P.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Yep ... I've had lots of reflection and memories in the last few hours and lots of smiles and laughs. The 80's suddenly doesn't seem like 40 years past.

Sid ...  Malcolm ... Mr Angry ... The Posse ... it was all on-point for the era.

The closing comment on last week's R2 Sunday morning love songs ... "and I'm back for more Sunday morning love songs next week" tells me everything I need to know about life expectancy :anguished: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4539
    'Steve Wright in the Afternoon' was standard post-school listening right the way through my teenage years.  By all accounts, he was a lovely bloke as well.

RIP, Steve.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    I’ll be honest and say that I didn’t really like him as a DJ, at least since the 80s - but he was loved by millions, was by all accounts a nice guy, and 69 is far too young.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mick and Keef,  and later  "Elvis"  - had me laughing so much, more than once I had to watch my driving
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I especially liked his Jeremy Vine piss-take
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    As with many on here, he was a staple of my youth of an afternoon. I loved his approach to being a radio DJ and brought many a smile . RIP Steve Wright
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    He was bloody awful on the radio but by all accounts a nice man RIP
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Quite a shock, though not really when you look at how ill he actually looked in recent years.
    Yeah, he was a radio fixture for me too back in the 80s. I don't listen to R2, so not familiar with his latter stuff. I did see him interviewed about being dropped from his afternoon show and he looked genuinely crestfallen.
    He certainly came across as a genuine fella, and looks like no-one has anything but glowing tributes to say about him.
    Snap said:
    Quite a shock, though not really when you look at how ill he actually looked in recent years.
    Yeah, he was a radio fixture for me too back in the 80s. I don't listen to R2, so not familiar with his latter stuff. I did see him interviewed about being dropped from his afternoon show and he looked genuinely crestfallen.
    He certainly came across as a genuine fella, and looks like no-one has anything but glowing tributes to say about him.
    Well, no one but Jonny up there. 
  • He was bloody awful on the radio but by all accounts a nice man RIP
    This. Constantly talking over everyone, and never listening. Me Me Me all the time. Basically a male Fern Cotton. 
      Shouldve been gone from the airwaves 30 years ago but clearly had something on someone at the top to keep getting the top gigs. Its a shame we/he never got to enjoy his retirement, RIP Steve.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chuffola said:
    Agree @Gassage the Keith and Mick stuff was hilarious. A big part of my 80s. RIP Steve.
    I still chuckle when I remember Keef talking listeners through his collection of Baby Bellings.

No more geese, Mr Angry or Captain Fishy either.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22941
    Steve Wright was a little bit later than my Radio 1 years - I think Blackburn was still on afternoons in the late '70s - but I certainly heard his show a fair number of times in the '80s, although I've never heard him on Radio 2. 

I thought he was pretty amusing.  And he set the blueprint for people like Chris Evans and Chris Moyles having loads of hangers-on in the studio, although it seemed more controlled in Wright's shows.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11809
    He was bloody awful on the radio but by all accounts a nice man RIP
    I said nothing on here other than to express shock at his passing, but I'm with you JB.  Anecdotally a nice guy yes which is rare enough in his world, so RIP Steve.