Has there ever been a better rock ‘n’ roll band than Motörhead?

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3937
edited February 17 in Guitar
That’s it. So much brilliant, stupid unpretentious music -totally genuine, groovy and fun. 

I’m actually not a regular listener or avid fan but that classic era kicked arse. 

Don’t misunderstand me, they’re not the best at anything, but they do encapsulate the spirit of rock ‘n roll better than anybody I can think of. 
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092

Yes, there has.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    Nearly all other bands. 
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • yes, lots
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    munckee said:
    Nearly all other bands. 
    You are dead to me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • If the 'No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith' versions of 'Ace Of Spades'. 'Overkill' or 'Motörhead' don't make you smile at least a little, then you just flat out don't like heavy rock'n'roll. Sorry - that's it, you're out. Stick to Barry Manilow or Oasis.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 1018
    Rock-n-Roll....A type of popular dance music originating in the 1950s, characterized by a heavy beat and simple melodies. Rock and roll was an amalgam of black rhythm and blues and white country music, usually based around a twelve-bar structure and an instrumentation of guitar, double bass, and drums.

Wouldn't Motörhead be better defined as a rock band who play early Metal?

And yes, there are numerous better bands out there but if we all liked the same thing the world would be a very boring place.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 599
    That’s it. So much brilliant, stupid unpretentious music -totally genuine, groovy and fun. 

I’m actually not a regular listener or avid fan but that classic era kicked arse. 

Don’t misunderstand me, they’re not the best at anything, but they do encapsulate the spirit of rock ‘n roll better than anybody I can think of. 

Agree.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuobStuob Frets: 36
    AC/DC.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    Never heard of them.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Yeah. Plenty. 
  • They were great live, that's for sure. And you can actually play a completely accurate acoustic version of them doing Ace of Spades if you have a gob iron on a mouth truss whilst twanging your acoustic guitar.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    There's no yes or no answer to that question, it's totally subjective.  And I'm not going to try to get into definitions of rock 'n' roll...

Although they fall under the wide umbrella of the kind of music I listen to, I've never really been a Motörhead fan.  To be honest, there are hundreds of bands I'd rather listen to.  It feels like they made a lot of pretty similar-sounding albums with not that many standout tracks... but it's probably unfair of me to say that, because there's loads of their stuff - especially later stuff - I've never heard.

But yeah, they were good.  I do think Ace of Spades is one of those rare hit songs which gets everything just right, doesn't outstay its welcome and ends absolutely perfectly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You mean to tell me they're better than The Monkees?? You're having a laugh. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    Worth saying that they've probably sold more T-shirts to non-fans than any other rock band... apart from maybe the Rolling Stones, Nirvana and the Ramones.
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 107
    I point to the death of Lemmy at the end of 2015 as being the point when the world started going to shit.

Turns out Lemmy and his vodka and speed habit were keeping the fabric of the universe together. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 590
    edited February 17
    Saw them 7 times in all, the first being this one,

Met Lemmy on New Street in Brum, for that one and he waited till I ran into Boots to buy a replacement 110 film.
    Such a cool fella!
    Also bumped into him when me & a mate jumped the fence into the guest enclosure at the Queen gig at Knebworth (9.8.86) where he saw us jump down & beckoned us over for a drink!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    They were great live, that's for sure. And you can actually play a completely accurate acoustic version of them doing Ace of Spades if you have a gob iron on a mouth truss whilst twanging your acoustic guitar.
    My ears still ringing from when I last saw Motorhead live. 
    I finished the gig stood near the exit of the venue, by the ticket office. 
    The volume was absolutely insane. My hearing in my left ear was permanently damaged from that gig. 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 5055
    "We are Motörhead and we play Rock'n'Roll."

Anyone want to argue with Lemmy?  No, me neither.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4211
    My tastes lean more to acoustic or “softer” music but they’re my go to if I fancy a blast of something heavier. Was more into their style at school and they’re about the only band of that genre/era still in my collection. 

Think Hawkwind (post Lemmy) were the only louder band that I’ve seen
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."