Has there ever been a better rock ‘n’ roll band than Motörhead?

What's Hot

Comments

• SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 756
    edited February 17
    KevS said: The dumbness of the lyrics only increases their effectiveness..
    I would contest that the couplet of "Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em - I ain't got no cerebellum" from 'Teenage Lobotomy' is utter genius

Also, Lemmy was a surprisingly deep lyricist when he wanted to be; '1916', for example.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 168
    KevS said:
    ...not a substitute for the feeling you get from blasting The Ramones..

...and Lemmy totally agreed with you!

"Bad boy rock, bad boy roll
    Gabba, gabba, see them go
    CJ now hit the gas
    Hear Marky kick some ass
    Go Johnny, go, go, go
    Go Tommy o-way-o"

My trading feedback thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    edited February 17 tFB Trader
    I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen Motörhead Live since 1977?
    Both original and later lineups.
    Still up there as some of the best gigs ever but The Sensational Alex Harvey Band will always be my favourite live band ever and I’ve seen most of the greats.

O was lucky enough to see SAHB ... and 'stunning' live is not too strong a word. "ZalCleminson ... stunning guitarist. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Iron Fist
    Killed by death
    Bomber
    (Bowie’s) Heroes.

Ace of Spades works well as a country cover and therefore passes the great song test.

The plan was never for ambient background music going on for hours and hours. There are days when 20 mins of the above is just the ticket, and nothing else will do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen Motörhead Live since 1977?
    Still up there as some of the best gigs ever but The Sensational Alex Harvey Band will always be my favourite live band ever and I’ve seen most of the greats.

O was lucky enough to see SAHB ... and 'stunning' live is not too strong a word. "Zal" Cleminson ... stunning guitarist. 
    Ted McKenna was a good friend and I miss him very much. He was also an absolute joy to play with, an incredible drummer.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Motörhead where an answer tonight on Pointless Celebrities you don’t get any more rock’n’ro…God, I must get out the house more…
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1792
    Yes. Motorhead are proper cool. But the number 1 is...simply perfection.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    Most of side two - no thanks - unless you are a huge fan, nobody needs to deep-dive into anyone's catalogue, there lies mediocrity.
    No, totally opposite to the way I listen to and enjoy music. Many of my favourite songs by favourite artists are deep album cuts rather than the well known hits. 

I like to explore and find new things. 
    Well, me too...

But sabbath are not one if my favourite artists.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 815
    Focus being outrageously good above !
    Motorhead still the best song they did, i bought the single when it came out and it was unique. Even if people take the piss it swings along full of groove. Saw them only once on Overkill tour which was great.
    Bumped in to Lemmy in a beer garden /pub couple of years later in Ladbroke Grove London, with a girlfriend, i shyly went over and asked if he was Lemmy (i was 15) he was kind and down to earth as others have said. I told him i'd seen him in Liverpool on Overkill down the front too and he said he recognised me, 'never forget a face' , nice really ! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1780
    edited February 17
    Ah, The Ramones - It takes a lot of smarts to sound that stoopid. My fave:

"Psychotherapy, physchotherapy, psychotherapy, everyone's against me."

Imo, Paranoid is the best Sabbath album, but the first 6 are all just magic - none of this remaster bollocks for me though. I was shocked and disapointed by the clarity and precision therin. Give me the vinyl with all the gunk and sludge, thank you very much.

Motorhead were never really my thing, but I'm glad to live in a world that had 'em and I'd certainly much rather be with them that not. Lemmy always seemed like like a total ambassador for decent mindedness. I'll not elaborate on a gent I got chatting to on a delayed train in the late 90s. We talked about gigs and motorhead and John Peel, and then he went and spoilt it all by making racist comments about Brimingham. C'est la vie.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I liked Ace of Spades and their collaboration with Girlschool but I couldn't listen to much more than that. I like my Rock n Roll a little bit quieter and often a bit slower and more rhythmical,to my ears.
    Each to their own though.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3168
    https://youtu.be/EkLcBumead8?si=i50qn9y5H84j74Wq

1985 at Hammersmith. At 13 I stayed up till 1am to catch this being played on Tommy Vance’s VH1 Friday Night Rock Show. I recorded it and watched it all over and over again.

luckily I got to see them headline Wembley Arena with Anthrax supporting them back in 2002, still the loudest gig I’ve ever been too. Certainly one of the best too
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    The Golden Years EP was rarely off the turntable in the run-up to doing my A levels. Ace Of Spades was a fine album, Overkill and Bomber weren't too shabby either.

After that, and after Eddie left, I didn't feel that it was worth listening to the new albums when I could have been listening to the old ones. 
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    If the 'No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith' versions of 'Ace Of Spades'. 'Overkill' or 'Motörhead' don't make you smile at least a little, then you just flat out don't like heavy rock'n'roll. Sorry - that's it, you're out. Stick to Barry Manilow or Oasis.

Hear hear! I was just about to offer up Barry Manilow and Oasis as being the epitome of Rock ‘n’ Roll but you got there first. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13736
    "Ace of Spades" is a fantastic song.

But then so is "Live Forever".

...and for that matter, so is "Weekend in New England"...

I really hate tribalism in music - but heck, I guess it sells things.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 660
    I’ve lost count of the times I’ve seen Motörhead Live since 1977?

O was lucky enough to see SAHB ... and 'stunning' live is not too strong a word. "Zal" Cleminson ... stunning guitarist. 
    Ted McKenna was a good friend and I miss him very much. He was also an absolute joy to play with, an incredible drummer.
    Yes he was a powerhouse of a drummer.
    Motörhead always had some entertaining support bands over the years.
    Girlschool was a favourite.
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 181
    I'm not really into rock music but Motorhead were brilliant. I think I saw them 4 times, starting when overkill came out and they never dissappointed.

Ian
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092

My favourite, and the only Motorhead album I own is Another Perfect Day, which puts me out of sync with a lot of their fans.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 18
    My daughters school friends mum married there sound engineer and lived 5 minutes down the road .
    I used to take the piss when he used to say he was Motörheads sound engineer.
    All he did was turn everything up as far as it would go and bugger off to the venues bar .
    There was nothing subtle about operating a Motörhead sound board .