Has there ever been a better rock ‘n’ roll band than Motörhead?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Paul_C said:

My favourite, and the only Motorhead album I own is Another Perfect Day, which puts me out of sync with a lot of their fans.
    I remember hearing an interview with Lemmy on Radio 1 when 'APD' came out, and they played 'Shine' - I thought it was bloody brilliant then, and still do now. The album's way under-rated; I reckon after 'Iron Fist' the press thought it was time to put the boot in a bit (even Kerrang! slagged it off), which was bullshit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657 said: All he did was turn everything up as far as it would go and bugger off to the venues bar .
    There was nothing subtle about operating a Motörhead sound board .
    Some of the stuff Lemmy came out with to PA guys was gold - I remember one gig where he went "Can you hear an 'orrible noise coming through that monitor? No? Me neither - turn my vocals up!"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667

Paul_C said:

My favourite, and the only Motorhead album I own is Another Perfect Day, which puts me out of sync with a lot of their fans.
    I remember hearing an interview with Lemmy on Radio 1 when 'APD' came out, and they played 'Shine' - I thought it was bloody brilliant then, and still do now. The album's way under-rated; I reckon after 'Iron Fist' the press thought it was time to put the boot in a bit (even Kerrang! slagged it off), which was bullshit.

Shine is one of my favourites. 

I have a memory of Lemmy being interviewed on the radio by Simon Bates (he presented a sort of Desert Island Discs thing for a while) who (from my memory of it) was audibly anxious. 
    "So Lemmy some people say Motorhead play three chords but they play them well."
    "Yeh, we play 'em well."
    Cue Simon Bates collapsing with laughter. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Some of the songs from Another Perfect Day were played live in the later years. Lemmy always commented on the fact they weren’t popular at the time.
    Decent album. Robbo clearly didn’t really want to be in the band, and seemed to be bent of sabotaging the shows - refusing to play classic tracks, wearing ridiculous outfits - but he came up with the goods on the record.

• distresseddistressed Frets: 599
    No Sleep Til Hammersmith is probably the best live album in the history of music, along with Descendents' Liveage and Nomeansno Live + Cuddly.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3346
    In the mid 80s when i lived in Paddington he'd spend hours in front of the fruity in the Carlton Bridge. Talk for ages to anyone who approached him. A gent and cool as fuck.

Yes and the greatest rock and roll band ever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20600
    Note to self. Listen to 'No Remorse' at high volume while sniffing the leather sleeve...
    Ah, nostalgia  :3
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Yes. Too many to list.

Best thing Lemmy ever did was Silver Machine. Everything else was pants.

(And I was one of the dweebs who queued for hours to get Bomber in blue vinyl on release. Two nights running at the Hammersmith Odeon. It was an anti-music phase you had to go through when you couldn't own up to liking punk.)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    No Sleep Til Hammersmith is probably the best live album in the history of music, along with Descendents' Liveage and Nomeansno Live + Cuddly.
    You're forgetting the Good Rats' Live at Last.
  • Grampa said:
    Rock-n-Roll....A type of popular dance music originating in the 1950s, characterized by a heavy beat and simple melodies. Rock and roll was an amalgam of black rhythm and blues and white country music, usually based around a twelve-bar structure and an instrumentation of guitar, double bass, and drums.
    Ethel pass me the dictionary... oh how that paragraph encapsulates the spirit of Rock-n-Roll!  :)
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1128
    He thought politicians were cunts, so for that alone I respected him. 
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 375
    edited February 18
    F**k no when you’re in your teens and seeing them from before Overkill in a tiny club to multiple stops on the Bomber tour. Wonderful stuff and Lemmy bought my friends and I a round of drinks once pre gig when we were broke. 

Of course it’s not a competition though and on any given night the band in front of you on stage can be the best in the world :-)

p.s. looks like we need a SAHB appreciation thread too :-)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1162
    They certainly had one decent tune. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom