Brian May joining Gibson?

What's Hot
Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 59
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/brian-may-working-with-gibson

Interested to see where this is headed. The article claims BMG doesn't make a high end replica of the RS, but what about the RS Super? That is supposedly a faithful recreation...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 459
    He was at the Gibson Garage launch today, too, which I thought was a bit weird until I read that article.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1378
    edited February 22
    I can't imagine in a million years that Gibson would make a faithful recreation of the red special with its blockboard, mahogany veneer, lacquered Oak fingerboard, etc. They're a mass producer focusing on a few models. Their top end instruments are fundamentally the same as their low end, just minor machining differences, finishing and hardware upgrades. They're simply not capable of building something like the red special faithfully. And I don't see any benefit in a red special shape constructed like a les paul.

I would guess it's some kind of obscure gibson acoustic he once played like the chet atkins.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1332
    edited February 22
    Anybody seen his recent rig rundown? He brings faithful replicas from different luthiers wherever he goes but says he only ever uses them while his original RS is being restrung mid show. Then it's straight back to that again. So this Gibson venture must be for people like us. 

He also says in 40+ or 50 years he's NEVER had RS re-fretted. He really is one of a kind. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7441
    What did he use for the frets? Regular ones and a light touch or did he use something harder he had around the house?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    edited February 22 tFB Trader
    He played a LP Deluxe in the 70s a couple of times I recall
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 59
    DefaultM said:
    What did he use for the frets? Regular ones and a light touch or did he use something harder he had around the house?
    I heard stainless steel for the original frets. I guess that and a light touch will do it.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1565
    What next? Angus joins Fender?
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1332
    edited February 22
    DefaultM said:
    I don't recall him actually saying in the interview. But it's the only rig rundown I've seen where the artist actually dedicated a substantial amount of time to talk about his guitars...as in after his tech spoke about his stage gear he actually did his part of the interview in a quiet room for a proper long one to one chat. Very nice guy. Then again I understand other rig rundown artists are probably strapped for time and don't have the luxury of a quiet room in an arena. But still. You can tell he still hasn't lost his enthusiasm and generosity even though he's probably talked about RS ad nauseum over the decades.

So if the Gibson venture makes him more money, fair play to him. 
  • Jay100Jay100 Frets: 42
    I vaguely remember in old interviews him talking about how much he loved SGs - would have had one if money permitted when younger.

May be some tenuous link to that perhaps!
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    edited February 22
    Gibson designer BM Tanners ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1817
    Wonder as time moves on will he simply transfer BM guitars over  to Gibson to operate they have good far east manufacturers as well as producing something in the US custom shop.

he is assured if Gibson takes it on as a brand the legal machine will enforce his ip. Mr May gets a nice check and royalty and when he pops his clogs the Red Special will continue to be immortalised and regularly reissued etc.

As much as the Red Special has some construction idiosyncrasies due mostly to what’s available home made parts it’s not rocket science pretty sure most competent guitar companies could make one even Gibson. To me not strange bed fellows.

just rock star cashing in whilst there is still interest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5208
    They’ll be asking me next…. B)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19541
    Wonder as time moves on will he simply transfer BM guitars over  to Gibson to operate they have good far east manufacturers as well as producing something in the US custom shop.

he is assured if Gibson takes it on as a brand the legal machine will enforce his ip. Mr May gets a nice check and royalty and when he pops his clogs the Red Special will continue to be immortalised and regularly reissued etc.

As much as the Red Special has some construction idiosyncrasies due mostly to what’s available home made parts it’s not rocket science pretty sure most competent guitar companies could make one even Gibson. To me not strange bed fellows.

just rock star cashing in whilst there is still interest. 
    Wow, you really do detail, don't you. Respect.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14841
    when he pops his clogs
    Brian May signature Red Special clogs. Now, that is something that the Gibson custom shop could probably cobble together.

On a serious note, Gibson acquiring BMG would be understandable. The other candidate would be KORG. They already own VOX.

My guess is a signature electro-acoustic guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19541
    when he pops his clogs
    Brian May signature Red Special clogs. Now, that is something that the Gibson custom shop could probably cobble together.

On a serious note, Gibson acquiring BMG would be understandable. The other candidate would be KORG. They already own VOX.

My guess is a signature electro-acoustic guitar.
    Rhapsody MkII ?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6190
    tone1 said:
    They’ll be asking me next…. B)
    There's a queue.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    'Red Les Paul Special' and 'Red Special' are only two words apart so it all makes perfect sense
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    Best guess is hair-care products, a Red Special which can be made a ‘natural’ Special with Gaffa Tape and Murphy Lab clogs…
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23840
    edited February 22
    I don't see Gibson as the company to make a perfect replica of the Red Special.  Would they wait five years and say they'd sourced more historically accurate motorbike springs for the trem system?  Then five years later they'd magically obtain timber from genuine old English fireplaces?  Who cares really, none of us are going to be buying this stuff.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    Seeing this post, just makes me think that Gibson really are aiming for the same aging target market.